The released list

Feral Fox

No real surprises imo.

TEN players are leaving Notts County after not being offered new contracts, the Post understands.

Manager Shaun Derry is busy putting together his retained list of those player he wishes to keep and those who will not feature in his plans in League One next season.

And the club will today announce where the axe has fallen, in terms of those players not offered new terms at Meadow Lane after their deals ran out.

While the likes of skipper Alan Sheehan, Gary Liddle, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Jimmy Spencer and Ronan Murray have all been busy negotiating terms with the Magpies hierarchy, other senior members of the squad will leave for pastures new.

Among them is the man who started the 2013/14 campaign as club captain, under then manager Chris Kiwomya, in defender Dean Leacock.

Fellow defenders Manny Smith and Gareth Roberts are also leaving the club.

In the midfield department, Andre Boucaud has not signed an extension.

The Trinidad and Tobago international signed an 18-month contract back in January 2013, after impressing during a loan spell from Luton, but will now leave along with fellow midfielders Mark Fotheringham, Malcolm Melvin and Adam Coombes.

Big Enoch Showunmi scored four goals for Notts last season but went out on loan to Plymouth in March, where he started two games and made five sub appearances, and he will also leave along with youngsters and fellow strikers Romello Nangle and Malachi Lavelle-Moore.

With Derry revealing his phone has been 'red hot' with players wanting to join the club next season, the gaps left by the ten players leaving will give him the chance to shape a squad with players he wants and who have the appreciation for Notts County he desires.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/players-leave-Notts-County/story-21078561-detail/story.html#ixzz31COQJq24
Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/players-leave-Notts-County/story-21078561-detail/story.html#troFcBf7tOPkFC5q.99

That sounds about right to me. The fact I can't remember having a player called Malcolm Melvin means that we probably didn't need him.

Let's just hope that the negotiations for the Liddles, JCRs et al are going well now that we might have slightly more funds available (being a league 1 club as opposed to the planning to be in league 2)

It is a pity about some of the youngsters. That says a lot about lack of progress and/or potential - which opens up a whole new debate about our youth & development set up. We rarely produce a youngster capable of holding down a first team spot. Other Clubs, even at our level, have 18 - 20 year olds who do become first team fixtures.

The leavers list will pose no real surprises but we do need to hang on to those key 5 mentioned in the article. Replacements for the rest will mean a busy and interesting summer.

Looks like we might be stuck with Haynes unless anyone else is prepared to take the risk. If he does return then he has to shape up & look interested. I got fed up with him hiding from the ball, showing a lack of involvement & heart - partic against Coventry. He needs to rekindle a flagging and stalled career IMO. Unless he is up for the battle then we should offload him ASAP. Obviously, he should be utilised properly and I'm not sure Kiwomya ever did that. He can't play with his back to goal or as a lone striker. Attacking midfielder is his best description, running into space, ball in front of him & posing a threat in the final 3rd. He did all that about twice last season!

Supporter+

Manny Smith did well for us I thought. He'd be decent cover at the very least. Nangle and Lavelle-Moore will be non-league players at best IMO. 

Supporter+

Who's Balmy? And more importantly has he got an army?

Absolutely no complaints about any of these decisions whatsoever. I suppose you could argue it's a tad harsh on Nangle and Moore considering neither played a game, but to be fair Jeremy Balmy only played 10 minutes all season (I'm reliably informed at home to Rotherham, and got booked), so Derry must see something there. Really looking forward to seeing Derry assemble his own proper squad over the summer. He's honestly the first manager I can remember us having who all of the fans like and have faith in

Derry stated at the youth awards that those who wasn't here, Nangle and Moore wasn't 'man' enough for the journey. He didn't state their names but spoke about how they didn't want to step up to hard work, as all the others were around it made it obvious to me that he was speaking about these and Melvin.

The released list doesn't bother me.

I just hope we get contracts sealed for those we've offered them too.

Archived