New Manager or new Players

jonnyt

Which is it to be Mr Trew?

It's looking like we won't get those 50 points required to stay up with the current squad.

In my opinion this years squad is really awful, is very short termist and completely unbalanced. For that you have to blame the Manager.

So in my opinion it's now decision time. Should he stay or should he go?

If he stays there will be trouble unless the cheque book comes out in January

Or would it now be better to change direction and give monies to an experienced Manager?

Haha!

Nobody should think Derry should go, what he's done in such short time here is very exciting.

We're only a few players from having a decent side, the squads full of triers. If we had a finisher a lot of the pressure would be absorbed, so if we can have a respectable finish this year and create a bit of a budget for Shaun to work with, I think next season we will come back stronger. That said, I believe we can continue to battle for a play-off space but a lot of things need to work and the defence needs to improve.

I doubt an experienced manager could do much better than GA/SD.

I am highly critical of some players this year...Hollis, McLaughlin, Cassidy and not that impressed by Alan Smith tbh.

That said the only real issue this year has been our expectations. After last year we all realised a total change was required. SD has set that in motion by getting a set of grafters. They are in major need of some pace and skill admittedly, but they are not a relegation team while last year's was.

Hopefully the board know this as well and do let SD get some more players to add to what we've got. If they don't it will be a frustrating 5 months, but I don't think they'll go down. Hopefully then in the summer we can aim for class and a proper promotion challenge.

Now isn't the time to be turning on derry!

We need to be stronger in games, something in our approach needs to give but the squad is decent for what we can expect. budget or not, we dont have money to run with the big boys in this league but we are getting good results. Its only the past month where the defence looks to be the root of all the trouble, I think a lot of this falls on Hollis and his shoulders.

In January the right places will be signed to balance things. We will be fine!

The reality is that we have too many under performing players, some utter dross and some just raw and inexperienced.

There are bright spots: Carroll, Dumbuya, Noble, Jones & G Thompson.

The loan players varied - enirmously, Laing was excellent, Petrasso bright but inconsistent. Ismail & McLaughlin absolutely hopeless.

I'm afraid Cassidy, Murray, Smith, Adams & Hollis have been bitterly disappointing for my money.

Much of that reflects upon Derry - jury still out on the D & A combo for me. Don't understand the "love in" - the away record masked the flaws and provided false hope in many ways. We are a disjointed, one dimensional but very well organised outfit. We need some width, pace and scoring ability, as a matter of urgency. The alternative is still a relegation battle imo.

The reality is that we have too many under performing players, some utter dross and some just raw and inexperienced.

There are bright spots: Carroll, Dumbuya, Noble, Jones & G Thompson.

The loan players varied - enirmously, Laing was excellent, Petrasso bright but inconsistent. Ismail & McLaughlin absolutely hopeless.

I'm afraid Cassidy, Murray, Smith, Adams & Hollis have been bitterly disappointing for my money.

Much of that reflects upon Derry - jury still out on the D & A combo for me. Don't understand the "love in" - the away record masked the flaws and provided false hope in many ways. We are a disjointed, one dimensional but very well organised outfit. We need some width, pace and scoring ability, as a matter of urgency. The alternative is still a relegation battle imo.

I'll give you the McLaughlin one now....utter rubbish, the one I don't understand is Adams, he cannot defend to save his life yet the game when we put him on the wing he looked really good but where do we play him, yep that's right left back when we have a better defender in Cranston pissing about in the stands on a Saturday and we are paying someone else's wages to do a worse job than we can do within our squad?!?

Never rated Hollis, either as a youth team player nor as a first team player, (I refuse to call him a pro as he's NOT a pro footballer by any stretch of the imagination)

The one thing that strikes me and I've said this before on numerous threads is that irrespective of what SD may say in the press re if you do well the shirt is yours it clearly isn't, how many times have you either listened to or came away from the game thinking how well a lad has done and that your looking forward to seeing him play again then the chosen few get the shirts??

Traore is never going to be good enough, he's a poor mans Boucard.

I've saved my last paragraph for the Melman impersonator that is Jake Cassidy, whoever told him he is a footballer should be done under the trade descriptions act, the bloke couldn't head a bus queue, he's 6' 2" standing up and 5' 5" when he jumps 

Supporter+

Which is it to be Mr Trew?

It's looking like we won't get those 50 points required to stay up with the current squad.

In my opinion this years squad is really awful, is very short termist and completely unbalanced. For that you have to blame the Manager.

So in my opinion it's now decision time. Should he stay or should he go?

If he stays there will be trouble unless the cheque book comes out in January

Or would it now be better to change direction and give monies to an experienced Manager?

Hi @jonnyt it's nice to see you posting but I hope you don't take offence when I say that your first post is ridiculous.

How any Notts fan would think that sacking SD now would be the right thing to do is beyond me, I can only think you have posted this to get a reaction, I did think of ignoring the thread but I took the bait in the end.

We are two points from the playoffs with a game in hand for goodness sake! Would you really sack Derry now? Be realistic.

Firstly, @jonnyt I have "liked" your post purely because I like to read anybody's opinions, be they different from mine or not. 

I am of the belief, that what we need are 5 decent players, I have put them on the Bradford match thread. In terms of management, I think we are in the right place for us, at this moment in time. SD deserves to be given a minimum of one full season, he earned that by keeping us up, and we will not go down, so there is no need to panic.

Hi @jonnyt it's nice to see you posting but I hope you don't take offence when I say that your first post is ridiculous.

How any Notts fan would think that sacking SD now would be the right thing to do is beyond me, I can only think you have posted this to get a reaction, I did think of ignoring the thread but I took the bait in the end.

We are two points from the playoffs with a game in hand for goodness sake! Would you really sack Derry now? Be realistic.

I agree with @tonyhateley.I think @jonnyt is after a reaction.Good for discussion though.

Well there you are @jonnyt.I think that @PTID1862 just about sums up most Pies thoughts.The next 2 transfer windows will be very interesting and will make or break SD's future at Notts.

Ray Trew has sacked a lot of managers during his reign. If a club owner keeps continually sacking managers, a lot of blame should go to the owner, IMO, as he is the one appointing them. We have to stick by a manager sooner rather than later, and SD has done a great job.

In regards to this season, he's probably performing just above, or about right for where our budget is at in relation to league position. So pretty much on par for a mid-table finish, or there-abouts. Plus, we have to consider what he did last season and that was a great success. 

If it was possible to bring in Jose Mourinho and a guranteed 1st place in the league, I wouldn't hesitate, but lets get realistic, SD has done a great job. 

I think our budget would fall around 10th, its not what's claimed to have been and even I am unsure if it was reduced or not.

I guess it depends what you read and where.

Only logical answer to this is that Derry needs to see out his plan, a few weeks back nobody would want rid and yes some now want SD gone. Yet its not the time, nor does he deserve it. We've just had a tough run of fixtures.

SD deserves support more than anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting reading all of the above. Any opinions changing after recent signings?

Expecting another 1 or 2 and believe we will stride on and finish with aplomb. Playoffs are within reach but I'll settle for top 10 and a few good results at the lane.

Regards Allen. You Pies!

@Captain Sticky For me nothing has changed, we have got in hopefully a couple of those that we needed, we still IMO need a CB and a Claude Makelele type midfielder.

For me the management team is still correct, so no nothing has changed. We had a wobble, results didn't come, and performances weren't great... the sign of an improving side is that those times do not cast you adrift of the pack, and we didn't we stayed in touch.

This is going to go down as a terrific season for me, no matter what division we end up in. There has been real progress, and apart from a barmy season of middle eastern oil, I don't think we have been able to say that for a while.

Archived