Sack or Keep?

Feral Fox

The future  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shaun and Greg be sacked?

• Yes. Enough is enough
    • No. We're always talking about stability so let's do it.

Quick straw poll. With the crowd being so terrible it is obvious what the majority of fans think, but what is the PON feeling?

Are we too busy thanking for last year to spot the ineptitude of this season, especially the signings, amount and pack of positional coverage?

Keep. The squad definitely needs improving. I still believe we will stay in this league, just.

Regards Al

You Pies!

The problem is @Captain Sticky he has been improving since last June. Did I hear we now have the biggest turn over of players in our league? I'll be surprised if it's not the biggest in all the leagues and we're still 2 points from relegation.

Leroy Lit a, a proven scorer, gets booed off because.....he had no service whatsoever. Derry then says it's LL fault!

Not acceptable. Bad tactics. Bad signings a cross the board. The only ones worth keeping are Paddy McCourt and Leroy and they'll both be happy to get away as soon as.

We need to be brave and accept whatever our fate is but by no means do I think Derry shouldn't start making a stand though.

I said at half time I could see them taking the game and it happened, the fans was supportive and many I spoke to at half time want to see this work. Yes, people want Derry out and I do respect that - for me it's not the right call. A new manager will need games to just play around, we may it the ground running or we could make it harder on ourselves.

Paul Hart to step in? He's happy at youth level and even he could get the best out of this squad IMO.

Greg Abbott? He wouldn't, he's loyal to his friend and he would walk. He's had a couple of job offers in his time at Notts, so if he wanted to get back into management he wouldn't be here.

Sacking Derry could be the biggest mistake we make this season, it could work (risky) but I hope we can regroup. We need it!

Sacking Derry won't change things at this stage. The players he has recruited are rubbish, and that is the problem. Unless you are going to bring in Lionel Messi as a player/manager, there doesn't seem a lot anyone could do.

I don't get the rational behind 'If we lose our keeper, our next best bet is the keeper coach, who wasn't really good enough for this level anyway. If we lose our right back, we can rely on our fitness coach, who wasn't really good enough for this level.'

The whole player recruitment makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. They talk about building for the future, yet the youngsters they've signed either sit on the bench, or don't get in the squad! If McKenzie isn't good enough to displace either Hollis or Edwards, he ain't ever gonna be good enough. Billy Daniels contribution? 1 goal wonder, never to be seen, or heard of, again. 

I honestly think we are headed for L2. Baffled.

Supporter+

Keep, I don't believe the majority of fans want him out, I haven't heard any Derry out chants at the match, a minority on social media might want him sacked but that's all.

I remember previous managers who have lost the fans and we have heard "Thompson out" "Scott out" "Murphy out" etc ringing out from all sides of the ground, this isn't happening with Derry.

That fans haven't turned on the manager says more about how sentimental fans can be than about what's happening on the pitch. For instance, I too wanted to see the back of Jocky Scott but he never presided over a bad run as long as this. If Scoot were in charge now, would the fans be as patient?

To be frank I think we're going down whoever is in charge. We aren't creating chances, have a leaky defence (and absolutely zero strength in depth in that area - it says a lot that Eddy has become a regular again) and cannot score more than one per game. If we at least had a sturdy defence we could grind out enough 0-0s and the odd 1-0 to stay up. And as we by all accounts have so little quality in the team, I can't see them suddenly turning it on for a new boss either.

So on that basis, the question becomes this: Would you trust Derry and Abbot to rebuild for a promotion push from League Two next season? Judging by their recruitment policy this season you'd have to say no. Last time we went down we stuck with Gary Mills, and he squandered our best chance of a promotion challenge.

I hate football clubs' habit of sacking managers every season. But how long do you stick with a failing manager for the sake of stability? Getting relegated is not stability in my view. That applies to Shaun Derry this season just as it applied for Chris Kiwomya last time. And 11 points in 4 months certainly sounds like failure to me.

Jesus, we played Bradford and Rochdale and lost only one! Both are much better than us. Stick and back him!

You could equally say that we have played a team which rested most of its first team ahead of a cup tie two days later and another which had lost its previous four games - both at home - and have only a single point to show for it.

I want Derry to succeed but I just can't see it happening any more.

We've been getting steadily worse since October! Last night demonstrated how inept Derry & Abbott are. Hopeless formation, couldn't or wouldn't recognise the problem. Replaced the useless Whitehouse with the equally useless Hayhurst and put the clown on to replace Lita, who bears no relation to a footballer whatsoever.

Who recommends, signs and selects this sort of rubbish? Answer - Derry & Abbott.

They have turned a half decent squad into a bunch of old men, babes in arms and assorted tripe - most of whom won't continue in League footbal when they leave Notts!

Seriously, did he ever watch Lita at Barnsley? Does he actually think a back 3 of Mullins, Edwards & Hollis will work? What on Earth does he see in Bajner - who, like Cassidy, would get a nosebleed if he ever ventured near the opposition's box! What is the point of tripe like Whitehouse, Keane, Hayhurst and the string of hopeless loan signings that have been made?

Jesus wept - how much more evidence do you need? Derry is simply not very good. Abbott is just a joke, he's bar room entertainment, full stop. He destroyed Carlisle fairly effectively, why did we ever want him here?

i dont even know why why we are discussing this, we have to keep derry because the wages will only become lower. unless rodwell leaving means we can afford a little more but i just dont get why people are questioning derry. its the players just as much as it is him!

See above then! Derry can't source players, he can't organise them and he presides over a team that can't string 3 passes together, put pressure on the opposition or score more goals than them! He signed most of this rubbish, he selects them and decides the tactics.

In other words, he is a pretty poor manager. He's hopeless.

We should never have appointed him - but he most certainly should have gone 6 weeks ago, at the latest.

i dont even know why why we are discussing this, we have to keep derry because the wages will only become lower. unless rodwell leaving means we can afford a little more but i just dont get why people are questioning derry. its the players just as much as it is him!

I don't disagree that the players need to take their fair share of the blame, but who signed all of them@liampie?

Who sends them out with stupid formations? Who isn't addressing the bigger issues such as why the defence is so so poor? Who let's them keep hoofing it up front after he has just brought in another forward who needs.service to his feet, not 10ft above him?

Players and management of them has been poor this year. As soon as the luck ran out in the first third of the season things needed to change. They haven't and look where we are.

2 points off the drop and needing another 'escape.'

Hopefully the shake up at the top will lead to a positive outcome. Of course I want to stay up, but results don't back it up.

Better budget, I can see Derry being able to bring in the players required to push on. It's a shame things started to fall apart, you can pin point the exact moments and if people have been reading my comments about him, they'll see I wasn't being negative towards him but I was picking up on things he shouldn't have been doing. I'm not saying I could be a manager or my opinion is more valid than anyone else's but it rang alarm bells for me.

Having a good chat when denying 'confidence' really?

I hope Derry manages to stay, I really do because I believe he will be a great manager given the chance.

It is not all about budget Joe. Paolo DiCanio used a big budget to buy League 2 title and had a bigger pot the following year. Our playing staff came and went sometimes falling out of favour before having a chance to prove their worth. We gave lucrative contracts but the club fell apart.

Our budget now is drastically reduced but we have a chairman and manager who accept that the club should be self sufficient. The big earners are no longer with the club apart from goalkeeper and top striker who are both instrumental in this years success. If we fail to be promoted they may well leave but replacements are already at the club.

We recruit from non league and have close contacts with Premier League and Championship clubs allowing judicial use of the loan market. We have signed players after their loan spell.

Management have resisted the temptation to sign "the old head" and kept the faith. Most of us were sceptical to begin with but have now bought into the model.

If we are in League 1 next year we will probably lose half the team but will just have to start again and stay true to the system.

I wish you well for the rest of the season and remember that you have yet to fall into the relegation zone so win a couple and confidently pull away.

Keep!

I just do not see what sacking at this point will achieve, a new manager is likely to also take us down...

I believe we will survive by a gnats whisker again...

Take stock during the last two weeks in May...

But, the Manager at the start of June, needs to be the one the club wish to take them forward long term.... AND the one who is going to take the club in an upwards direction!

Archived