The next manager

It actually says "for the forseeable future" so that could mean anything really, lets just hope Hart and Halsall can save us.

Not sure about the Trews ruining this club, they've made mistakes but they have also done an enormous amount of good, forgive me for reminding you that they actually saved the club when no one else wanted it.

In that, he did. He put money in to save the club, but if my memory serves me correctly he would also have put us into admin.

Now, he makes the same stupid mistakes, again and again. He constantly leaks out 'revelations' and 'big signings' and they hardly ever come true. He constantly bleats about his investment as if we owe him something. For someone that is supposed to have links to the recruitment industry, his recruitment can be described as piss poor at best. He appoints sub-standard managers, or appoints half decent managers and sacks them. Furthermore, he has absolutely no idea when to sack a manager. Any bloke with half a brain could tell you that if you sack a manager with a handful of games left, you need to have a replacement lined up. As is typical in his reign, nobody was lined up, again he announces a revelation, and again it all turns to ****. Now we have Hart and the academy coach in charge. What was the point in sacking Derry?!

His constant mistakes were a bit excusable when he was still willing to pump money into the club. Now it's clear he has absolutely no intentions of further funding the club, so his constant mistakes are increasingly highlighted. He just doesn't learn from his mistakes. He bangs his head on the wall, takes a step back, bangs it again... repeat endlessly...

Let's not think we have any kind of loyalty to this bloke, he isn't a Notts fan, he's a bloke with a bit of money who wanted a toy to play with. He got it, and now it's kind of lost its X factor. So he appoints his wife to run the club, fantastic. 

We've been through so many managers it's ridiculous. They can't all be that bad they can barely last a year. The one thing in common with all the managers? The guy hiring them. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least he has experience in L1 relegation battles:

He was appointed manager of Swindon Town on 3 March 2011, his new club in the League One relegation zone. He appointed former Notts County boss Ian McParland as his assistant.[19] On 28 April, Hart was sacked after failing to lead Swindon out of the relegation zone. He only managed to win one game out of eleven matches in charge, away to Brentford.

@Super_Danny_Allsopp I see where you're coming from but I think you're being overly harsh. Ray Trew did originally intend to put the club into administration and buy us out again, in doing so he would have saved millions he could then have pumped into the club. Instead he was persuaded to pick up the bill for Munto and pay all the suppliers we owed money to. Which proved very expensive for him, but was the right thing for the club to do.

Since then he's made a mess of things, no question. I can't quibble with most of the sackings, Short and possibly Curle apart, but the appointments have been downright strange. He doesn't seem to have had any consistent idea of what he wants to do. For me it was all summed up after promotion, when he appointed Short in addition to the existing backroom team Tommy Johnson and Dave Kevan, saying he wanted to have a Liverpool-style boot room. 13 games and a lower mid-table position later, all three were fired and Paul Ince appointed. To be fair he's since gone on record saying he regrets doing this, and could have had this in mind when hanging on to Derry for a month or two too long this time around.

You can't deny that he's invested heavily in the club. However, even a man as wealthy as Ray Trew can't throw money at a football club forever, indeed financial fair play limits what you can spend as a proportion of your income on players. So the logical thing to do is to make the club self-sustaining. That takes time and investment to build up.

I can criticise the Trews for a number of reasons, but I can't really question their enthusiasm for the club.

I don't think H&H can save us, but I doubt anyone will. By laying down a management team for the rest of the season, the club are probably trying to make the players focus on the task ahead for the rest of the season instead of the distraction of the managerial merry-go-round.

I think Hart will do enough to keep us up. The change in the first half on Sat (not there-ill, only going on others reports and Colin) was enough to get people thinking we might see some football this season. I'm sure he's kept his head down this week and focused on defense and set pieces, which is what we've needed all season.

Regards when the new guy comes in...I would be happy to leave Hart there until the end now. No new guy, Moniz or not, knows more than the staff already there. If they do appoint, so be it, but not my choice now.

Regarding the continental approach - Just get a solid manager in Mr Trew and back him. Ensure the philosophy of entertaining, attacking football with an emphasis on youth is agreed on contract. You don't need a Spaniard etc to do that. Tell one of the up and coming (but with some experience) managers whats needed. Rossler, Yates maybe? 

Archived