Youth team

shepshedpie

Notts County Youth team completed their season with a 1-1 draw at home against local rivals Mansfield Town.

With a view to preparing for next season the Notts team was made up largely of 15 and 16 year olds a number of whom have only recently been awarded scholarships with the club for the next two seasons.  A win could have lifted the Pies to a fourth place finish but the draw means they will end the season in sixth place.  A slightly disappointing final position but a team who had to manage on too many occasions without the presence of top scorer Colby Bishop due to first team calls earlier in the season and a fairly serious injury in March meaning he missed the last half a dozen games of the season.

Notts took the lead in only the second minute when left sided midfielder Yohan Rutty-Smith smashed the ball high into the Mansfield goal from about 15 yards.  The Stags equaliser came on twenty minutes when a Mansfield forward, freed with a fine ball through the middle, lobbed the advancing keeper.

For any older fans, the Notts team today contained the son of Pedro Richards and the nephew of Lloyd Richards.

Overall it was a good performance for a side that must have been, by some distance, the youngest youth team put out by Notts this season. 

It seemed a common rumour at the youth game yesterday that Paul Hart's comments; "I've made little changes that I think will benefit the club in the long run if they are retained," relate to the reintroduction of a reserve/development/under 21 team that will compete in the Final Third Development League (East Division) run by the Football League.  The teams in that League are the same teams that Notts play against in the youth league i.e. Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Hull, Burton, Hartlepool, Doncaster and Mansfield.

I hope this turns out to be more than a rumour as too many youth team players have slipped away from the club bemoaning too little competitive football, unless they are loaned out to a non-league team.

My fingers are crossed for an announcement in the summer.

It seemed a common rumour at the youth game yesterday that Paul Hart's comments; "I've made little changes that I think will benefit the club in the long run if they are retained," relate to the reintroduction of a reserve/development/under 21 team that will compete in the Final Third Development League (East Division) run by the Football League.  The teams in that League are the same teams that Notts play against in the youth league i.e. Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Hull, Burton, Hartlepool, Doncaster and Mansfield.

I hope this turns out to be more than a rumour as too many youth team players have slipped away from the club bemoaning too little competitive football, unless they are loaned out to a non-league team.

My fingers are crossed for an announcement in the summer.

I agree.a reserve team is a must for next season.

I don't really understand why the dev squad was dropped for this season unless they hardly ever actually played. It seemed a good way of keeping players fit and bringing younger lads through with games against and with more experienced players.

I don't really understand why the dev squad was dropped for this season unless they hardly ever actually played. It seemed a good way of keeping players fit and bringing younger lads through with games against and with more experienced players.

@notts-joe stated they played behind close doors, against local teams of near to full strength. We could do with a reserve squad, benefits out weigh the cost, even if it means a dev squad.

A lot of people I have spoken with seem impressed by Yohan Rutty-Smith, he sounds very promising from the reports and feedback @shepshedpie provides. Thanks for sharing bud!

@liampie I believe it was only one, I think news reports added Colby Bishop to the mix but he had signed awhile back.

Unless I am wrong and it is two, also I am hearing some of the YT know if they're staying or not as I am informed many have been released or told that they will. Just normal really, let's hope it's no one promising!

Archived