Where and when did it all go wrong

Supporter+

I said it at the time and I'll say it again, when we won promotion from league 2 Trew should have given Cotterill whatever he wanted to enable him to stay. I firmly believe we'd be in the Championship now.

Where/when did things go wrong for you?

I said it at the time and I'll say it again, when we won promotion from league 2 Trew should have given Cotterill whatever he wanted to enable him to stay. I firmly believe we'd be in the Championship now.

THIS!

I don't think Cotterill would have gotten us to the Championship myself, he's achieved that with Bristol City on a much bigger budget but we perhaps could have been more stable now. Why focus on when things went wrong? I'll personally focus on how to fix it the problem (just to be awkward).

Today went wrong around the 86th minute, when we started becoming careless with the ball.

Passing for the sake of it, clearing straight back into the danger line and to concede the goal, well it absolutely sunk us and our confidence drained. However, for this to be fixed we need to assemble a balanced squad, one in which doesn't have players all of a similar nature. I think we should also back managers based on how they spend rather than blowing it down the drain like Shorty did. Moniz deserves the chance to build a solid League Two squad and I think he will be able to turn the tide. It's a good league to learn from because of how poor it is, yes it's improved and teams can be punished (like Tranmere) but Moniz has got something about him.

I'll double the this.

Whichever which way you look at it we have been on an ever slippery slope since Cotterill left, we always always seem to start getting the nucleus of a good side then let those players go as they cost more than £400 a week, 

Football is like no other business, you CANNOT run a successful side like you would a successful business, surely 20 million would tell you that

With hindsight it would have been better and cheaper to give Cotterill 6 million quid and tell him to take us to the Championship, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Whether we'd still be there is another matter, but at least we'd have had a proper go at promotion and a season in the sun.

Whether he'd have stayed anyway we'll never really know, but that was the big factor behind us failing to pick up from where we left off in L2. Since then it's been a death by a thousand cuts, due in part to the ludicrous search for a "philosophy" - such as appointing Craig Short and hoping to foster a Liverpool-style boot room, then sacking them all after 13 games because we weren't near the play-offs. That one nearly saw us straight back to the basement.

Supporter+

League 2 will be more difficult than people think. RM should be given a chance to build his own squad. We could come straight back up if we do things correctly.

Agree with most of the above. Cotterill would have secured promotion with a reasonable level of support, his record tells you that. He is a class act.

It went wrong when RT misjudged the situation, said "I think we'll do a Peterbiro and go straight through this League" & then made a series of awful managerial decisions, culminating in placing his wife as CEO. Failing to back Cotterill was critical, short dismantling the promotion team didn't help either.

The ludicrous appointment of Kiwomya, after tripe like Short, Ince and Curle was then topped with the arrival of the circus that was Derry & Abbott, both of whom must rank as amongst the most inept & utterly hopeless managers that we have had. They make Mills & Brazil look quite good!

We are a shambles, a complete joke of a Club and it is a disgrace. Hopefully, enough fans will voice their concerns and the situation will have to be addressed. At the moment we are heading towards the obscurity of the Conference, the next few months will determine how many of the dwindling faithful will other at all next season.

What a shocking state of affairs.

Supporter+

then topped with the arrival of the circus that was Derry & Abbott, both of whom must rank as amongst the most inept & utterly hopeless managers that we have had. They make Mills & Brazil look quite good!

How fickle we fans are, when we were 3rd in October Derry and Abbot were messiah's, now no one has a good word to say about them. Not getting at you @Pies4u just fans in general.

How fickle we fans are, when we were 3rd in October Derry and Abbot were messiah's, now no one has a good word to say about them. Not getting at you @Pies4u just fans in general.

I think most on here realised it was luck rather than good management. The use of the loan system first off worked well. In the end it killed SD and GA off as a duo at Notts.

Too many players, not enough quality.

When Laing and Zeli went back we fell like a stone.

You may be right in some cases but not by me then weren't Tony! Ridiculous appointments in the first place and should have been gone before New Year to give us any chance of survival.

How anyone can any faith or confidence in the current manager mystifies me too. Hope he turns out to be magic but, so far, he's done nothing to suggest that he will & his suitability for a basement tier role in League football does seem somewhat questionable to me. Strapping him with a coach we previously sacked and some other former players without credentials also seems dubious - we'll see.

I was losing faith in March, it's gone altogether now. We are an absolute shambles tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived