Our defending

AmericanPie

I have just watched the 4 minute highlights on the Scunthorpe site, I am impressed with the display put on by Notts.

The defending is another thing, schoolboy standard! The midfield completely disconnected from defending and both of Scunthorpes goals seemed to be a frenzy of very bad timed challenges. In fact the majority of the highlights us!

Their first goal, is a bit of a mistake from Roy but there was no defending at all

The second goal we allowed them so much time on the ball. One pass through our defence and one of their players gets in, one on one with Roy but instead of shooting, he passes to another player who tucks it a way.

I hope they take it more seriously in the league.

Is the defence bad or is it just a lack of wanting to get the ball?

I did see the play preceding the goals, ,and I am very concerned how we look like we are going to concede every time the opposition attack our goal. if we can sort the defensive part of our game out then we will be right up there.

• 3 weeks later...
Supporter+

I was hoping I wouldn't have to add to this topic but after last night, it has to be done doesn't it? 

The problem IMO is our central defensive partnership. Bennett is a disaster waiting to happen, yes he does some things right, but he was a calamity for their second goal. Audel is slightly better but is he good enough for a side that hopes to challenge for promotion? I expect Amevor will start at CB and he will tighten things up. Is Sprockel injured? I think him and Amevor are our best pairing. Thoughts? 

This again seems to be the weak link for Notts. Last night sounded dangerous in the sense every time they attacked they put us under pressure. Struggling to see where the training ground work is when they play like that. Come on Yatesy. Sort it.

Once injuries and suspensions are out of the way, I think things will improve but I would try and get a centre back in. Loan one, as I am sure we could get someone in to tie us over, perhaps even the same for upfront.

The defence does require a lot work to cut out the mistakes.

the mistakes were highlight in the pre season and they are still happening, i am sure they are good enough but they need to step up. we cant keep giving the opposition easy times when they play us or we will continue to struggle.

I did see the play preceding the goals, ,and I am very concerned how we look like we are going to concede every time the opposition attack our goal. if we can sort the defensive part of our game out then we will be right up there.

What @wacky said, we are a good team but the defence are not doing it at the moment.

Archived