Football betting - would you bet against your own team?

Elite_pie

This is something I've been doing for years, but it seems to cause controversy with many.  Some say it's disloyal and shows you're not a true supporter, but I don't understand why.  It has no influence whatsoever on the match result however much is staked.  I pretty much paid for my season ticket backing the opposition in McParland's full season.  I could see we were an awful team so I took advantage of some very generous odds.  That didn't mean I wanted to see Notts lose.  I only bet modest stakes, usually a fiver of tenner, and 3 points gives me much more pleasure than a few quid in my bank account.  Does anyone on here who has a footy bet ever bet against Notts?

yes....if I was pretty sure I was going to win......actually I would prefer to back the draw/oppo ie LAY Notts on the exchanges at kick-off, but then level off for a win/win/win ....then it feels like I didn't actually back the other side to win?

I have for and against, sadly both ways tend not to pay off.

A handful of fans have made comments in the past when they have known about my bet(s) (which I rarely do) and comment that I shouldn't bet against Notts, yet often enough it doesn't work out to my advantage and I almost stood to make over £1,000 once if Notts lost (all the other scores were correct). I wasn't bothered about it, I just predicted the score and felt Notts wouldn't win - the odds being good tempted me.

Had I of won the bet, I'm sure I would have spent a portion of the money in the club shop.

@Joe Jones believes a fan should never bet against their side however.

its not something i would do myself, i do not bet really. i may have a friendly bet between friends, esp my forest friends who always say we will lose. theres no harm in betting again notts tho, people who say fans should not probably dont gamble themselves.

4 hours ago, heraldmagpie said:

No, I only bet on the horses.

Bet on what you know, there is no harm if you bet against Notts unless you have the habit of losing.

I agree with the 'bet on what you know' bit.  I'm not a big fan of the Premiership so the team I know most about is Notts.  It's really a case of being able to separate the head and the heart, and deciding what you think will happen rather than what you hope will happen.  I only bet modest amounts, and whatever I bet never enters my head as soon as the ref blows for kick off.  At that point the heart takes over and all that matters is a Notts win.  I think what some people can't get their head round is the fact you place a bet hoping it will lose.  I've taken to regularly placing a 'consolation' double on a Notts defeat and a Forest win, just to numb the pain a bit if the worst happens.  I'm always far happier when my stake goes to the bookie.

8 hours ago, AmericanPie said:

@Elite_pie its wrong on all levels!

That is just my own view, so I have no bet against Notts. If I think Notts will lose I just do not bet. Betting against your own team should be a punishable offence! ;)

Looks like the naughty step again for me on Saturday then @AmericanPie !  My head says we'll set up a bit too defensively against Wimbledon and struggle to score, but the defensive frailties will still be present and we'll gift them a goal and suffer a 0-1 defeat.  The less rational part of me however will be at Meadow Lane cheering for the opposite.

I've never bet against Notts, I aint ever bet with Notts either. Maybe one day I'll place a bet with Notts I don't know or really care, I'll never bet against Notts.

One very important thing tho' in my mind if anyone does place a bet against Notts it in my opinion does not make make them any less of a supporter full stop.

Just as important I've never booed Notts off the field after a bad performance and God knows I've seen a few. If after a poor game you want to boo Notts off the pitch don't expect any grief off me.

Supporter+

There was easy money to be made betting against Notts during RM's reign. I'm not a betting man, but I'm sure plenty of shrewd football fans made some money. 

Don't see any harm in it myself, it's not as if you're influencing the result or anything. The bookies make piles of money because punters go with their hearts and bet on their team to win. But surely the point in betting is winning?

If you've got a season ticket at Meadow Lane you'll have a better knowledge of our team and how we're likely to perform against certain opposition. If you can use that knowledge to win a bit of cash off the bookies (whether that means betting on Notts or against them), why not?

20 hours ago, AmericanPie said:

Who would be disappointed if by Notts winning it meant your bet was screwed? That is the problem.

Just playing the devils advocate here.

If it ever got even close to the bet being more important than the result for me I would give it up immediately.  As I said earlier, I only bet smallish stakes so 3 points for Notts far outweighs a few quid back.  The only time I've ever bet big was when I won a £100 free bet in a competition a few years back. Notts were awful at home then, and we were playing Wycombe who were looking good for promotion.  I put the £100 on a Wycombe win at 6/4 as I thought it was excellent value, they should have been far shorter.  Wycombe coasted to a 0-2 win, Notts barely managed a shot.   That's the only time I've ever thought about a bet while the game was in progress and the conflict of interests wasn't a feeling I liked.  

Archived