Piethagoram's guide to managerial success

Piethagoram

To help Mark's suitability, he will need to answer this questionnaire.....

1) Should Alan Smith's name be in the starting 11

either (a) Yes (b) no

2) Should Noble be played as a winger

either (a) yes (b) no

3) Should Stanley be in the starting line up

either (a) No (b) Yes

4) Is hoof ball acceptable

either (a) Yes (b) No

5) Should prospective players be picked from a column in a Devonshire newspaper?

either (a) yes (b) no

scroll down for suitability for the role:

Any Answers ticked  (a)... Congratulations, you are entitled to be the new manager at the Temple Of Sin, as you lack any footballing credibility

All answered with (b) Congratulations, you bleed Black and White COYP

Agree with all your points bar the first one Smithy wins us the ball, shouldn't be in starting line up every game but he gives us a bit of leadership on the field and actually fights for the ball something alot of the other players could do with learning. 

Why didn't we go for Cooper in the beginning rather than Fullacrap? 

Happier times ahead!

If you try hard enough you can make anything in life more complicated than it needs to be, I think nearly every Notts fan could have done a better job than Fullarton, the bloke could not have got it more wrong if he had tried, he never picked the best XL and neither did Moniz much of the time.

@TheFostarr94 @ohstanleyaborah I don't believe what I read at times...so when Smith has started, he has played as a defensive midfielder. That hasnt stopped the goals or chances being created..ye gods...   We should be setting up teams to create problems that the opposition have to think about. The immobile Smith is not an answer. 

@Piethagoram no settled defence goals are always going to be conceded, Moniz played leaving us exposed so much so that we could of had Makelele in his prime playing for us and goals would still be conceded. We haven't really played a defensive midfielder its been 4-4-2 so he's been a centre midfielder and I don't think he has contributed to the attacking side of things from the midfield but at least he wins the ball for us, hard tackles, winning headers. I'm not saying he should start every game because he shouldn't hasn't got the legs for that. But football is a game of tactics and certain games require a player like Smith for the battle, leadership, experience and break up play. If he was in the team I would want him playing just in front of the defence where he does not have to do the running just break up play pass forward not centre mid. 

@Piethagoram again I'm not saying start with him every game not even half the games just the odd physical game. I just think he's a good squad player to have around. Of course I would start Aborah/Noble in centre midfield, Aborah would be the first name I would like to see on the team sheet, closely followed by Loach. 

Hopefully we now start to see players played in their correct and best positions, with Aborah being given a clean slate. Hoofball needs to be dropped, we never know what to do with it and even if we managed to win games - fans deserve better! I know there will be a portion who just want to see Notts winning, however let's do it the proper way. Hoofball doesn't earn teams back to back promotions or enable them to challenge successfully for promotion year after year.

It becomes tiresome and very predictable.

Hopefully Cooper signals the start of the new era, which we desperately need.

Smith has had it as a professional footballer. Yes he makes the occasional crunching tackle, but whole games pass him by! We need a defensive midfielder to steady things up, but Smith is not and will never be the solution.

@notts-joe three of our last four promotions were achieved under Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce, neither of whom was renowned for total football. You can be perfectly successful with a more robust style if your team was set up that way. Our squad, however, was put together with a passing game in mind.

Smith is OK if we're in a physical battle because you know he won't shirk it. The problem is against a mobile midfield, they can just run past him as though he isn't there, his legs have gone and he needs to admit that and just concentrate on his coaching career.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

@DangerousSausage Warnock's era was really before my time but I have seen highlights, I wouldn't class it as traditional hoofball because even in 3-4 minute clips it looked like we could pass it around. Route one can be a powerful way to play, yet hoofing the ball up in hope will never bring stability or good football. Big Sam I do recall, his style was more determined by the quality of the division at that time in my opinion.

I do agree you can gain promotion, yet nothing solid to build upon for a future of success.

On 19/03/2016 at 16:44, Piethagoram said:

either (a) Yes (b) no

either (a) yes (b) no

either (a) No (b) Yes

either (a) Yes (b) No

5) Should prospective players be picked from a column in a Devonshire newspaper?

either (a) yes (b) no

Any Answers ticked  (a)... Congratulations, you are entitled to be the new manager at the Temple Of Sin, as you lack any footballing credibility

@liampie@erindoors It is always good to see @erindoors so enthusiastic in the Directors box. Just perhaps, the improved performance against Wycombe was based upon "Piethagoram's guide to Managerial success" :D

• 1 month later...
On 19/03/2016 at 16:44, Piethagoram said:

either (a) Yes (b) no

either (a) yes (b) no

either (a) No (b) Yes

either (a) Yes (b) No

either (a) yes (b) no

Needs dusting down again... question #5 still very relevant. How can Accrington Stanley's recruitment on limited financial resources be so streets ahead of ours?

Paul Hurst 6/5 Malky Mackay 5/1 Steve Cotterill 6/1 Paul Cox 13/2
Richard Dryden 9/1 Richard Money 10/1 Paul Ince 12/1 Darren Purse 14/1
Wayne Burnett 14/1 Alan Smith 14/1 Russ Wilcox 16/1 Mike Edwards 16/1
Gary Johnson 16/1 Ian Hendon 20/1 Teddy Sheringham 22/1 Mark Robins 22/1
David Dunn 22/1 Sean O'Driscoll 22/1 Ronnie Moore 28/1 Sol Campbell 28/1
Ricardo Moniz 28/1

Not impressed by the "quality" of some of the candidates on this list. Hurst Cotterill, O'Driscoll excepted... An outside choice would be Adrian Pennock, ex Forest Green who has been quite successful at Conference /National League level, even had David Kevan as assistant for some of that time. Chris Powell and maybe Uwe Rosler too worth considering

Never Mackay under any circumstances. He shouldn't get another job in football.

I originally read one of the list as 'Wayne Bennett' - YES PLEASE!! In my opinion the greatest coach in any sport in my lifetime, maybe not too qualified in the round ball game but seems to be able to make any player believe they are a world-beater and get even the most timid to run through several brick walls. Try his book "Don't die with the music in you". I can still remembering listening to him at an RL coaching conference in around 2007.

Does winning the prediction league qualify me ,with  @GrannyPie (2nd  in league)as my assistant.

Archived