Is it too early to discuss next season??

Chris

Poor start to the potential discussion because I am. ;)

I know it seems a far way off, however with Colin Slater stating via the BBCRNS Twitter feed that 'There should be no talk of promotion next season' - I'm wondering what people are thinking right now? Where does the ambition come from? What do you hope for? Is next season going to be bleak and uninspiring?

Obviously, we need one big thing to happen before we will have a solid idea but I just want to see better performances - with the potential that we may be able to push for a League One place.

I'll accept existing, if we can just have a season whereby stability is seen on and off the pitch.

How about you?

Supporter+

I don't think we can think about next season until the new owners are in place and the possibility that if new owners aren't found, we could be faced with administration. If it is administration, I hope we could put it off to next season because relegation would be a distinct possibility if we were deducted 10 or more points this season. This uncertainty is not good. 

I can't really decide what I want until we get new owners, but I definitely want to see this squad culled, with no more than a dozen being retained. We can then bring in around 10 players (no more) to give us a solid season to build upon.

I don't think we can seriously talk about promotion until we have rid ourselves of the 2 year contract brigade that we brought in this season.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There are so many variables that anything is possible next season - but equally, we shouldn't rule out a promotion push. You don't actually have to be that good to finish 7th, so pretty much everyone in this division has at least an outside chance of promotion. If Mark Cooper stays on and gets the best out of McLeod, Noble, Aborah etc., hires a defence worthy of the name and instills some togetherness then we could be in for a very different kind of season.

Of course a lot depends on how the takeover goes. If someone comes in, allows Cooper to do his job without interference from pickles above and invests in the team, great. On the other hand it could be the case that the takeover fails, the Trews cut their spending, Cooper gets a better offer, Branston continues to assemble his West Country dream team and we struggle.

Way to much to conclude this season to start even considering with any clarity what may happen next season , I certainly wouldn't dream of thinking next season is a possible none event in as much as we couldn't achieve a possible good season ,  let's get this season over the line we aren't going down in my view ,   let's see what happens with the sale of the club,    then we may have a clearer picture ,   let's hope we hear something soon on that front would help I think to settle things down ,  we need to sit tight and hope for news . 

A big question is how many of the current Youth set up will get pro deals. Piethagoram's scouting evaluation...

Luther Wildin

Jordan Agathise

followed by

Montel Gibson

Joe Searson-Smithard to become Reserve Keeper

Given it is normally 3 that get pro contracts, think this year we need to offer 4 pro contracts for the above

Jordan Richards to return from Sligo to stake a First Team place

edit,,, will Jack McMillan be strong enough to become a pro to match his skill level?

13 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

A big question is how many of the current Youth set up will get pro deals. Piethagoram's scouting evaluation...

Luther Wildin

Jordan Agathise

followed by

Montel Gibson

Joe Searson-Smithard to become Reserve Keeper

Given it is normally 3 that get pro contracts, think this year we need to offer 4 pro contracts for the above

Jordan Richards to return from Sligo to stake a First Team place

edit,,, will Jack McMillan be strong enough to become a pro to match his skill level?

I think that Montel Gibson, Luther Wildin and Jack McMillan are first year youth team players, so that makes your selection easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Piethagorams new seasons musings...

Goalkeeper Loach / Joe Searson-Smithard

Right Back  Wildin / ............. Hewitt to be listed

Left Back  Audel / Sharpe           list Bennett

Centre Backs  ................. / Amevor maybe Hollis ' / Agathise

Midfield   ................ /Noble, Stanley, Richards, McMillan, ( Curtis ,Atkinson) Milsom

Wingers Snijders, Valencic 

Forwards .................. Burke / Gibson / (Stead / Idle to be listed...controversial!!!!! 

MC to source

Right Back

Centre Back

A Neal Bishop type midfielder

A Jamie Vardy type goal scorer and Spencer type target man

-----------Loach----------
-???---???--???--???-
-???--Noble--Stanley--Burke/Snijders-
-------Stead-----????---------

Backup/subs: New GK, Hollis, Amevor, Audel, Atkinson, Milsom, Campbell, McLeod, Thompson.

That's a 442. But MC likes a 3-5-2 ish kind of formation... so...

------Loach------
----???-???----Audel---
-???------Aborah---???-
-------Noble--???--------
-----Stead-------???-----

Please, please can we keep Cooper! It will be interesting talking about 2016/17 if he remains.

I did laugh when the attention turned to next season last night, those who said fans shouldn't be thinking about it - mentioned it. Yes, things look more rosey now but it goes to show you a lot is said for drama.

I thought that a large part of being a Notts fan was holding on to the dream that no matter how bad things get, next year, would be our year. If we were to confine ourselves to reality and this year,  we might all become suicidal.

The almost insane belief that when the new season starts , all will be well. The manager will last all year. He will have plans A B & C written in black and white, and the players understand them. A new Sirrel or Warnock will take us forward, and up the leagues. There will be black and white whisky in the cups. Next year.

Is it too early to discus next season? I would have to say no! At least it is looking forward,

It's  either that or wallow in past glories  and I am afraid that we are simply out classed at that.  

Besides:- I have a feeling that next season..............!

3 hours ago, Piety said:

I thought that a large part of being a Notts fan was holding on to the dream that no matter how bad things get, next year, would be our year. If we were to confine ourselves to reality and this year,  we might all become suicidal.

Spot on.  This season has been a bit of a disaster, but it might just have a happy ending after all the uncertainty.  Now we're safe, it's hard not to think of next season.  I just hope we learn the lesson of the last two seasons and avoid a bloated squad, many of whom who drain the wages and contribute next to nothing.  Go for less signings but better quality, and use the youth set up to fill the gaps in an emergency.   From what I've seen of the youngsters they offer at least as much as most of the loanees we've suffered, with the added bonus that they come for free.  This division is pretty moderate in reality, any team that is organised and hard working has a shout of a play off place at least.  Let us be one of those teams for a change.

Exactly @Elite_pienobody would have bet on Accrington being where they are at the start of the season. We need to somehow dump a lot of the players and just bring a few quality players in to gel with the ones that remain.

If we can get a half decent side together, the fans will follow and that could well make the difference next year. We appear to have found a manager with half a clue and that is normally all we need to have a decent season (plus a half decent budget).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived