John Sheridan

Melikepie

With the BBC reporting that John Sheridan is going to be announced as the new manager, does this give us an indication of what is happening behind the scenes? I'm assuming that Sheridan is still under contract with Oldham so that would mean compensation is being paid? Could this mean one of two things? The take over is finally happening, or has Ray Trew tidied up the toys and is going to have one more crack at it? I can't imagine that this appointment would be made if it was the case of Trew just letting the club bobble on by?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got a link? All I can find is a story from the NEP that is probably based on the betting odds. If he's under contract at Oldham and was even on a Championship club's radar, I don't see why he'd drop a division to join us.

IF there's something in this, I can only imagine him joining us if he's been given a budget that would allow him to have a serious crack at promotion.

In my opinion he should have got the job originally after Moniz was sacked. I seem to remember that a couple of the candidates dropped out originally  and I personally thought one could have been Sheridan because of the fact that Branston was in control of player recruitment. Maybe a condition of Sheridan coming was that Branston had to go, which leads me to believe that Mr Trew is staying and having a (from a distance) crack at it.

Whilst I'm not opposed to Sheridan taking the role, I had my heart set on Mad Dog coming back.

Mad Dog would undoubtedly have reconnected with the fans and would have sorted out all the backroom stuff in days, and could wield an axe over an inept squad and bring in his own players, he could also work to a tight budget. The main benefit with appointing Mad Dog would have been he would have taken no interference from RT and his entourage, and this would be important. If RT thinks he's 'reinvigorated' (again), how long will it last this time? Half a season as with Moniz? Then we are back to square 1. 

Supporter+

John Sheridan is a good choice. He knows the league. We got half of what's needed, now all we need is new owners. I presume this means Mansfield can expect a cheque in the post, I doubt John would have joined a club under a transfer embargo. 

34 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Oldham have said we haven't made any approach for Sheridan...

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

How long is his contract at Oldham?... is it like MA's and runs out at the end of the month?

A little disappointed that its not Allen but Sheridan would have ticked most boxes imho.

34 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said: Oldham have said we haven't made any approach for Sheridan...

How long is his contract at Oldham?... is it like MA's and runs out at the end of the month?

A little disappointed that its not Allen but Sheridan would have ticked most boxes imho.

I believe Sheridan has a 2 year contract so compensation will need to be paid

I realise you have to give someone a chance, but I'm honestly hoping (almost praying) that we don't end up with John Sheridan.

He does know this division but he's not someone who's record screams stability or someone who can craft Notts into the side we all want. I'm hopeful that someone else will come into the mix with better experience and has been with his prior clubs for a few seasons - rather than frequently jumping ship.

1 hour ago, notts-joe said:

I realise you have to give someone a chance, but I'm honestly hoping (almost praying) that we don't end up with John Sheridan.

He does know this division but he's not someone who's record screams stability or someone who can craft Notts into the side we all want. I'm hopeful that someone else will come into the mix with better experience and has been with his prior clubs for a few seasons - rather than frequently jumping ship.

Where is this idea that Sheridan jumps ship a lot? Other than last season, he has been at most of his cubs for around three seasons, when was the last manager Notts had that did that? I'm thinking Charlie but even then I'm not sure?

4 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

If his contract does run out, we don't actually have to go through Oldham to speak to him as he'd be a free agent. If he's got a 2-year contract then either we're throwing some serious money at this or it's all nonsense.

he's on a 2 year and a half contact and it's came from BBC Nottingham sport who tweeted it.

To be fair there a bit more creditable were they've heard it god knows.

But it was announced by them in the morning Oldham have said they had no approach from us or Leeds or Bolton who were all intrested apparently.

weather there will be approach tomrrow you would assume if he is going to be announced in days someone knows something.

Or someone is Lyin by saying they have or haven't had an approach 

33 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Apparently betting has been suspended!

got suspended hours ago and sky bet tweeted they won't be opening odds back up seems all bookies have closed it.

They clearly think something is done and dusted unless I'm wrong I'm not a betting man so don't know how bookies work 

33 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said: Apparently betting has been suspended!

got suspended hours ago and sky bet tweeted they won't be opening odds back up seems all bookies have closed it.

They clearly think something is done and dusted unless I'm wrong I'm not a betting man so don't know how bookies work 

That's normally how things work, when betting is suspended it's normally because they think something has been confirmed so don't want people betting

Supporter+
46 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Apparently we have agreed compensation for john Sheridan, have to admit it is a slight anticlimax after expecting martin Allen but hopefully Sheridan is given the time to do things right

If I were Oldham, I'd ask for the money up front, preferably in cash, especially as the FL have kept the transfer embargo in place as the monies from this season that Notts were due don't cover all th cash owed to other clubs. 

Supporter+
1 hour ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Well according to the evening post, the transfer embargo will be lifted by next week, and Leigh Curtis said the compo could be up to 150k

I sincerely hope the current owners are gone before too long. They have turned Notts into a laughing stock. We have no luck so I guess we'll be stuck with them for a while yet. 

9 hours ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Its apparently a 3 year deal! Oldham fans are going mental, asking for ST refunds and all, I kind of feel sorry for them but I'm obviously happy we have secured a proven manager

il wait and see before I get worked up until it's in paper and confirmed its all hearsay 

Archived