Why should I go again?

ivansneck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, ivansneck said:

That was awful. I'm not spending £22 again to watch that lot for the foreseeable future. No quality, no confidence and in some cases no desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing that gets me the most is certain players no matter how bad seem to be immune from being dropped.

Duffy couldn't mark a bingo card and for his reading of the game (what Leigh Curtis bangs on abouy at length) well lets put it this way, it is akin to a 2 year olds first attempt at reading a book, its makes you laugh....

Duffy should be dropped, with Laing going back to centre half and Audel coming in at RB who will add an attacking threat, I will be there Tuesday but only because I have a ST, our home performances this season must be up there as the worst in our history.

Shocking performance today. I know we had sickness in the squad, but that XI today would be a relegation side if it played every week, inept tactics and play.
No way should Collins have been subbed and although I'm not a fan of Hollis, he was way better than Duffy.
I left 5 minutes from the end today and was quite surprised I lasted that long as a couple of folk near me went home (or to the pub) at half time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had no desire, no passion, no fight. I don't know why we play Graham Burke - lazy player who never looks interested, doesn't know how to play for the badge.. Aaron Collins was given the impossible job of trying to win countless headers which was never going to happen, it's not his game it's Vadaine Olivers but he's suspended for being reckless. Laing at right back with an actual right back on the bench, what was he thinking? Injuries happen so hopefully we won't see that side play another game this season but this squad needs investment in January if not sooner.. What's Will Mellors-Blair doing these days? 

I used to regularly encourage support, over the years many fans have said that they will stop going to games - some ultimately would be there the following week(s) after poor performances and others have drifted. It was a vital thing to try and stay together during the tough times, as for a small club like ours you really have to be at the same cross road when it comes having each others backs. Slowly, I have found that it makes no difference and some might question this support - however unless you have been in this corner, you shouldn't.

I've always listened and you can tell that supporters care, obviously the paying patrons stance won't like it but they do.

These passed few weeks I've had more on my plate than I would like, some will know why, yet certain people still like having a pop because I haven't attended games (yet I wonder how they know). Regardless, people make their own choices.

When you stop going your still a fan, nothing changes in my opinion.

If Notts was desperate for support and requiring a boost from its supporters, I would be there but considering there's more to life (yes, I've said it, there's more to life!) I'd rather choose as and when, it's my terms not anyone else's. So make your own opinion up and don't be swayed by those who would rather attack than understand.

Let's face it, any other industry and Trading Standards would have shut the whole thing down. I've not been for months and frankly I don't want to pour my hard-earned money down the drain and waste several hours of my Saturday to watch something that is only going to disappoint me. Call me "not loyal" or "fair weather", I couldn't care less. I operate on logic and rationale rather than blind faith, misguided loyalty and DELUSION.

Few of us have chosen our clubs, they have simply been presented to us. And so as they slip from second division to third, and from third division to fourth; as they sell their best players and replace them with new ones you know can't play; or lump the ball the seven hundredth time to the 6 foot centre forward who somehow never wins a header; as we leave the ground deflated yet again, we simply curse, go home, worry for a week, then come back and suffer through it all again. That's the life of a football fan.

Like many, I'm depressed, fed up, and completely disillusioned with the whole thing, but even though I'll call the team and management every name under the sun at 5pm, come 3pm next Saturday I'll be at Barnet. I'll be there more in hope than expectation, but I'll still be there. Blind loyalty admittedly, but tlet's face it, if we operated on logic we'd never have supported our clubs in the first place!

3 hours ago, Joe Jones said:

Let's face it, any other industry and Trading Standards would have shut the whole thing down. I've not been for months and frankly I don't want to pour my hard-earned money down the drain and waste several hours of my Saturday to watch something that is only going to disappoint me. Call me "not loyal" or "fair weather", I couldn't care less. I operate on logic and rationale rather than blind faith, misguided loyalty and DELUSION.

I object to being labelled "misguidedly loyal and and DELUSIONAL" simply because my decision is to keep attending games.  I am neither, my decision is also based on logic and rationale.  I will be there on Tuesday because I want to be there.  Magpiejue hits the nail firmly on the head when she says "Because, surely you don't want our club to go out of business".  I don't doubt that things are bad, but if everyone took your stance there would be no Notts County.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that's something you would want to happen.  What you do with your money is entirely up to you and I would never call you "not loyal" or "fair weather".  It's your choice and no-one elses.  My choice (along with 3 or 4 thousand others) is to stick by the club as our continued support is pretty much all we can do to try and improve things.  If the good times do happen to return you might just be grateful one day.

1 hour ago, Elite_pie said:

I object to being labelled "misguidedly loyal and and DELUSIONAL" simply because my decision is to keep attending games.  I am neither, my decision is also based on logic and rationale.  I will be there on Tuesday because I want to be there.  Magpiejue hits the nail firmly on the head when she says "Because, surely you don't want our club to go out of business".  I don't doubt that things are bad, but if everyone took your stance there would be no Notts County.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that's something you would want to happen.  What you do with your money is entirely up to you and I would never call you "not loyal" or "fair weather".  It's your choice and no-one elses.  My choice (along with 3 or 4 thousand others) is to stick by the club as our continued support is pretty much all we can do to try and improve things.  If the good times do happen to return you might just be grateful one day.

My dig was aimed at anyone who gets - or has got - hostile towards me or towards anyone else who says they've had enough of Notts - and believe me, I've had plenty of that. "What kind of fan are you? You're supposed to support your club no matter what!". Maybe it was a little pre-emptive but it's something I've been accused of a few too many times for merely giving my opinion, so yes, I have my walls up.

If fans want to keep going, that's up to them. I choose not to because I'm sick of the shoddy football, I'm sick of the bad vibes at Meadow Lane, and I'm sick of how there just seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel with regards to the direction of the club. The rot has been festering for years now, and I put up with it and put up with it for the love of my club, but it's got too much now. Notts games put me in a foul mood and effectively ruin my weekend, as well as my wallet (which at the moment is thinner than Posh Spice).

@Elite_pie This isn't applicable to season ticket holders, however the club must ensure fans have a reason to repurchase their ST's.

I did mine out of blind faith, during a black out period by the club and its media team. Nothing was coming out, there was no logical reason behind getting one - luckily those like me was repaid later with the decision to hire John Sheridan (and not another clueless nobody/or person with no experience). At the end of the day, club, manager and its players must give fans a reason to attend.

Everyone has a period whereby enough is enough, we really should respect this.

6 minutes ago, notts-joe said:

Everyone has a period whereby enough is enough, we really should respect this.

As I made clear in my post, I do respect anyone's right to stop attending games if they've had enough.  I objected to the misguided and delusional tag attached to those who choose to stick by the club.

@Elite_pie People go to watch Notts for many different reasons, it's not always a case of the football but when its good/entertaining it makes it easier. I'm not suggesting you don't respect the views of people who have chosen to stop going, with regards to myself it's not remotely to do with the performances.

However, I do think fans should standby each other.

If they go or if they don't, ultimate at some stage the support will be needed at some point. There's so many fractions already existing, hence my comment about understanding.

PS. Your right about 'continued support is pretty much all we can do to try and improve things' - its not the only way, as forcing change by making a stand has its own power but really like we saw during the great escape - support can go along way.

An interesting discussion above. To try and get to the nub of it, season tickets are absolutely vital to NCFC. I don't have one so I'm not going tomorrow etc. If I did have one I might wwell do so. This makes me even more angry at the chief executive's stance on them at the start of the season. Until we get a CE who knows how to build a following for the club we'll get nowhere.

Supporter+

I'm all the way over in Ireland, but I get the feeling that the "buzz" around Notts is gone and has been gone for a while now. It's all a bit stale IMO. I find myself losing interest by the week. Last Saturday, I was more interested in whether East Kilbride would keep their winning streak going in the Scottish Lowland League! They didn't by the way. Their first defeat all season. 

I feel the same way @Dripsey3, although I'm a bit of a special case. Even if we turn this run around and finish in a 8-10th place, which would be a solid improvement on last season, it hardly gets the pulse racing, does it? The limit of our ambitions seem to be to get back into the division we were in before over the next two or three years. The home form and the last two games in particular are not acceptable. There's little wonder people are fed up.

The decisions to play our best centre-half at right-back and to play Alan Smith up front are perplexing to say the least. But if illness really has been going around then the management team know who has spent the week in bed.

To the people on social media who are already calling for the manager's head: let him do his job. We knew we'd be in for a couple of poor spells before the season started. We have been sacking at least a manager a season for years and where has it got us? It's got us here, playing against (and getting beaten by) Newport County in the fourth division. League Two is tight this season, the play-offs and the bottom two are both theoretically possible. The very last thing we need right now is another ride on the managerial merry-go-round with the future ownership of the club up in the air. Last season we were very lucky indeed that the bottom two were so far behind. We haven't got that luxury this time.

Interesting thread good points made on both sides , its simply a matter of everyone's choice , and many things can get us to our club as supporters , but the main thing in my own opinion is its an entertainment i love ncfc I do , but my money is earned through hard graft , I want to see value for my pounds spent to be entertained and see real effort put in at there work as I do at mine , totally respect all the above opinions , thought I would add mine . 

Maybe it's age related in the sense that any younger fans will only have had the Munto season to really enjoy, so I'll try and put my personal viewpoint from a different perspective.  Imagine your Grandad starts suffering from dementia - the bloke who gave you so much happiness and fond memories for many years just isn't the man he was, in fact he's a shadow of his former self.  Do you decide to stop bothering visiting him any more?  That's where I am with Notts, though obviously on a much lesser scale than the Grandad analogy.  The many memories I have of the likes of Jimmy Sirrel, Jack Wheeler, Haydn Green, Don Masson, Les Bradd, Pedro Richards etc mean I have formed an unbreakable bond with NCFC.  I will be making my way down to Meadow Lane as long as I am physically capable, even if it's to watch us in the Conference North.  Joe Jones is possibly right in describing that as misguidedly loyal and delusional.  Even though it's undoubtedly an emotional decision, for me it's also a logical and rational one.  I do it because I want to.  

I suppose the one glimmer of hope is that while the Grandad can only get worse, football is a "funny old game" and Notts might just return to their former glories one day.  Just hope I'm still around if it happens! 

I can't make midweek games, which might be a good thing at the moment! JS is not the problem overall, he still has to shift a load of deadwood before he gets his proper side together, but there are a lot of things wrong with some of his signings and he needs to own up to that fact.

It is demoralising going to the ground and finding less than 4000 inside, from the family stand I can barely here anything from the Kop, it's now too big a stand for the amount of supporters that are in it. What happened to everyone that used to go in Z block? We always sung no matter how bad we were, now its like a morgue and has been for several seasons.

Archived