Music Matters

This is a topic for all things music related. Whether you want to share your favourite songs, albums, artists, or genres, or you want to discover new music from other fans, or you want to discuss anything music related, this is the place.

Let’s hear what you are listening to and why you like it.

• Like 7

Supporter+

I am a life long Rolling Stones fan, I’ve been to see them live a few times.

I do like lots of different types of music, blues is one favourite, I also enjoy Trad Jazz after being subjected to it by my father from a young age.

• Like 5

I am an avid Don Henley admirer, with Tom Petty following closely behind as one of my favourites. Alongside Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Elvis, and countless other artists that I could mention. During my time living in the UK, I frequently attended concerts. If seeing the big names was out of my budget, or if I simply favoured a more intimate setting, I would take pleasure in hearing Irish folk bands perform at the Shirland Miners Welfare.

• Like 3

I enjoy a wide range of music, that's much to the thanks of my parents for playing all sorts of music from Irish folk songs, 60s, 70s, 80s music.

Personally, I am partial to the music and culture of the 1980s. There is something about it that speaks to me and captures my attention. The vibrant music, fashion, and overall attitude of the era are all fascinating to me. I can't help but feel drawn to it, even decades later. The 80s just have a certain charm and excitement that I find hard to resist. I used to always listen to Absolute Radio's 80s station, but I haven't for a long time now.

I do like the 90s era, I know other members have said that they didn't but as a 90s kid it's hard not too.

Most things beyond the 00s and to modern time tend to drive me crazy. Yet, my real love and passion is Pop-Punk. Bands like Blink 182, I also like SKA music such as Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, The Aquabats etc.

My youngest daughter frequently wonders how I manage to memorize the lyrics to so many songs. It's all thanks to the amazing power that music has to stick in our minds, especially when we enjoy it. We can forget what we did 10 years ago, but you will remember the lyrics to a lot of songs released during that time if you are listening to the music at that point.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Chris unfeatured and unpinned this topic

I listen to a lot of stuff, from rock and metal to pagan folk. But I while back I fell into the Nightwish rabbit hole and never returned. They've had three lead singers, which is careless at best, but that also means their output is pretty varied and there's a lot to discover. They rule! 

I'm also keen on the Levellers and some German bands such as Faun and Die Ärzte.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2023 at 21:00, DonnyNotts said:

My favourite artists are the Beatles and Gordon Lightfoot, definitely showing my age :)

One of my old mates and best man at my wedding was an avid Gordon Lightfoot fan.I caught a programme, purely by chance, (I think it was BBC 4) last Friday night ,'In Concert,Gordon Lightfoot ' from 1972, I really enjoyed my trip down memory lane. It brought back some happy memories.Sadly Gordon Lightfoot passed away 1/5/2023

• Like 3

2 hours ago, super_ram said:

One of my old mates and best man at my wedding was an avid Gordon Lightfoot fan.I caught a programme, purely by chance, (I think it was BBC 4) last Friday night ,'In Concert,Gordon Lightfoot ' from 1972, I really enjoyed my trip down memory lane. It brought back some happy memories.Sadly Gordon Lightfoot passed away 1/5/2023

He never really got the credit he deserved over here for some reason. I have most of his albums, including the brilliant songbook which has quite a few not so well known songs. There is an album due to be released in July, already ordered:)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Music is a creative expression that can inspire and challenge listeners to think differently. One of the ways to enjoy music is through video platforms, such as YouTube Music, which offer access to music videos, live performances, interviews, documentaries, and more. Video platforms offer a visual and interactive way to access music, as they allow users to watch and listen to their favourite artists and songs, as well as to comment and interact with other users. Video platforms also allow users to create their own content and showcase their musical talents and opinions.

• Like 1

I listen to Stevie Wonder and I love his soulful voice and funky rhythms. He is one of the most influential artists of the 70s, with hits like Superstition, You Are the Sunshine of My Life, and Sir Duke. I enjoy listening to his music on my Hi-Fi system, which delivers high-quality sound reproduction that is faithful to the original source. Hi-Fi systems can enhance the listening experience by creating a realistic and immersive soundstage that makes you feel like you are in the same room as the musicians.

I listen to Led Zeppelin and I love their hard rock sound and epic guitar solos. They are one of the most successful bands of the 70s, with albums like Led Zeppelin IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti. I enjoy listening to their music on my CD player, which offers a convenient and durable way to access music, as they can be played on various devices, such as CD players, computers, and car stereos. CDs also have a higher sound quality than some other formats, such as cassette tapes or MP3 files, as they have a higher sampling rate and bit depth.

I listen to Pink Floyd and I love their progressive rock sound and conceptual albums. They are one of the most innovative bands of the 70s, with works like The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here. I enjoy listening to their music on Spotify, which offers access to millions of songs and podcasts on demand. Spotify offers a convenient and affordable way to access music, as it only requires an internet connection and a subscription fee or an ad-supported account. Spotify also allows me to discover new music and artists based on my listening history and preferences, as well as to share my playlists and opinions with other users.

I listen to Peter Gabriel and I love his eclectic sound and creative videos. He is one of the most versatile artists of the 80s, with songs like Sledgehammer, Shock the Monkey, and In Your Eyes. I enjoy watching his music on YouTube Music, which offers access to music videos, live performances, interviews, documentaries, and more. YouTube Music offers a visual and interactive way to access music, as it allows me to watch and listen to my favourite artists and songs, as well as to comment and interact with other users. YouTube Music also allows me to create my own content and showcase my musical talents and opinions.

I enjoy listening to music from all different periods on YouTube music. I enjoy songs from all different periods, including latest releases but I am very choosey about which.

5 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

I listen to a lot of stuff, from rock and metal to pagan folk. But I while back I fell into the Nightwish rabbit hole and never returned. They've had three lead singers, which is careless at best, but that also means their output is pretty varied and there's a lot to discover. They rule! 

I'm also keen on the Levellers and some German bands such as Faun and Die Ärzte.

Wow  @DangerousSausage  that's epic and I get the feeling I've heard it before but can't remember when or where.I did enjoy that but have to admit I was expecting a version of the music from Sharpe

• Like 2

They're very bombastic indeed! That one is actually a cover of a Gary Moore song, maybe that's where you heard it. Here's some more epic while we're at it (they do normal length songs too though!):

Oh and ska! I lived in Coventry for a while and it's compulsory to like the Specials there. 

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2023 at 00:07, super_ram said:

Wow  @DangerousSausage  that's epic and I get the feeling I've heard it before but can't remember when or where.I did enjoy that but have to admit I was expecting a version of the music from Sharpe

This is more like what I was expecting.Sung here by John Tams, who played Daniel Hagman,and was born in Holbrook Derbyshire,just like me.

• Love 1

John Tams - I really like his stuff, Home Service, Albion Band and his solo stuff.  I also like the Sisters of Mercy, Placebo pretty much anything on the indie rock, goth path.  Mind you Twenty One Pilots are also good.  I have joined a vinyl subscription service and get 3 surprise albums a month based on a theme I can choose.  This has really opened my ideas to a number of different and new to me bands - The Amazons, The Offspring, Chic, The Bombay Bicycle Club etc etc.  Now I listen to pretty much anything, but I draw the line at Gangster Rap (much to my daughters amusement as it is pretty clear I don't really know what it is, but refer to anything I don't like as Gangster Rap!).

• Like 3

@GrannyPie used to like watching Sharpe, and so did I,but she would be singing or humming the tune for ages after the show finished.Good job I liked it too

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, super_ram said:

@GrannyPie used to like watching Sharpe, and so did I,but she would be singing or humming the tune for ages after the show finished.Good job I liked it too

Me too - my usual name for these forums is Rifleman Harris, taken from Sharpe! Daniel Hagman was my other favourite character.  We are going to see the Home Service at the Broadstairs Folk Festival, but John Tams is too old to travel any more so he isn't going to be there, which is a huge shame.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

Me too - my usual name for these forums is Rifleman Harris, taken from Sharpe! Daniel Hagman was my other favourite character.  We are going to see the Home Service at the Broadstairs Folk Festival, but John Tams is too old to travel any more so he isn't going to be there, which is a huge shame.

I used to go to Ripley folk club late 60's to early 80's.It was run by The Ripley Wayfarers ,Mick Peat was a member and had a show on Radio Derby.Had some fantastic nights there and met and chatted with many acts who will be remembered by most people for other things.Barbara Dickson,Jasper Carrott,Mike Harding and Tony Capstick come to mind.I even got  @GrannyPie to come with me a lot of times and she said it was different to what she expected and became a big fan of Gary and Vera Aspey.Happy days !!!

• Like 3