Archie Mair joins Gateshead

Supporter+

I was rather hoping we’d sign him, it’s a great signing for Gateshead.

• Like 20

I think it’s a good move. I have seen fans who have said they hoped he would come here, which is fair. Those who think he’s better than Stone and are being negative about it should give Aidan Stone more of a chance. Archie Mair was good, but I don’t think he was quite ready to push to be our number one.

• Like 15

It would be selfish to want Archie Mair at Notts, as he could eventually become the number one goalkeeper, but he has expressed a desire to play week in and week out, which he wouldn’t get here. I think Gateshead have signed a solid addition to their team and I wish both him and the club well.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, MuddyPatchPie said:

I think he would have been perfect for us. Gateshead have loaned a talented keeper in Mair and personally I’m disappointed he’s not still with us. 

i liked him too muddy, though i think he is 1-2 seasons away from being ready for first team football at our level. i think he would end up playing behind sam slocombe. i do think aidan stone will still come good though and i do think archie mair will have a great career.

• Like 15

I believe Archie Mair has great potential. However, if he or Tiernan Brooks had been in goal against Stoke, we would have suffered a worse defeat. With time, Mair will be a great keeper, but I don’t rate him enough now to say he should be starting ahead of Slocombe. I hope he does well at Gateshead, it’s a good move for him.

• Like 12

Firstly, good luck to Archie Mair I think he's made a sensible decision by joining Gateshead.

I think they will give him the platform to start showing more of his full potential, as I believe he has a bright future. However, I don't think he's ready to be a regular number one at any level higher. He needs a lot more growth and confidence, I do think he will get there, but I don't think he would replace Sam Slocombe any time soon. I think Notts signing Aidan Brooks, is the club seeing a keeper that just needs a bit of help and may take the number one position, with Tiernan Brooks being the backup and future number one.

• Like 13

This is a great move for Archie Mair. I agree with others that he is still a few years away from playing regular football within a Football League team. It would be difficult for him to just step up, but this will allow him to bide his time and learn with a decent team. This experience will be valuable for him.

• Like 12

It's fair to say he's got great potential, but it's obviously going to take him some time to develop into the high-calibre keeper we know he can be. His decision to go to Gateshead is commendable as it will provide him with the practical exposure he needs at this stage of his career. The prospect of playing regularly, of course, is always beneficial for any player's development.

• Like 11

I would have liked him to come here, but I understand that he’s not quite ready for first-team football. I think that’s why we signed Aidan Stone. I hope Mair does well with Gateshead. He could find himself back in the Football League in a few years’ time, and I’m sure he’ll attract interest.

• Like 7

I am pleased that Archie Mair has found a good club to sign for. He should do well for them. They can bring out the best in youngsters, and at his age, he needs to be playing week in and week out to improve further.

• Like 9

I thought Archie Mair performed well and gained confidence while he was with us. I appreciate his contributions and am grateful for his role in helping us return to the Football League.

However, I don’t believe he is quite ready for regular first-team football. Some fans may want him here simply because they dislike Sam Slocombe for some reason. If there are fans who genuinely believe he could do well here now, then fair play to them. But I think most of those who want him here fall into the group that enjoys criticising our keepers.

• Like 6

Absolutely agree with everyone here that Archie Mair's move to Gateshead is promising. A player of his calibre needs game time to reach his potential. While I'm optimistic about him, it's also important to not forget about Aidan Stone. He has immense potential and shouldn't be overlooked. Can't wait to see how things pan out for both of them.

• Like 4

I would have loved to have Archie Mair back at Notts, but he is some time away from being a full replacement for Sam Slocombe. I don’t think it’s fair to rush him or ask him to sit on the bench. I also agree that Aidan Stone is more ready; he just needs further work, which I think Tom Weal will get out of him. Good luck to Mair and Gateshead.

• Like 3

This does seem like the ideal move for Archie Mair. We may see him again in the future when he has more experience. Provided he’s with a club below us, there’s always a chance we may sign him when he’s ready. I bet the club will be watching how he does at Gateshead with interest.

• Like 2

Its a good choice for him. It would be nice to keep him but with the amount of game time he would likely get, it would be quite unfair for him to stay here for now. He played a very good part for our play offs last season along with his match time in the season itself.

• Like 3

While I'm happy that Archie is embarking on a new path with Gateshead, from a Notts standpoint, it would have been for him to return. Agreed, he isn't ready to replace Sam Slocombe just yet, but providing Mair with enough touches could have been an excellent long-term plan. He needs more time to mature, and regular face-offs will contribute to boosting his self-confidence.

However, it's also crucial to remember that every player's journey is different and subject to many variables. The important thing is to stay patient. Notts has a history of nurturing talent, and surely, Archie Mair's story will be yet another intriguing chapter in our club's illustrious legacy.

• Like 2

Good luck to Archie Mair. I would welcome him back here, and I do think he could push for the first team, but he would need to be allocated a lot of time in games for this to happen anytime soon. Gateshead has signed a cracking keeper who also did well against Newcastle United yesterday. They led 2-1 but ended up losing.

• Like 1