Oxford Mail article on Ruben

Piethagoram

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/23762906.ruben-rodrigues-people-questioned-oxford-united-move/

United reportedly beat Championship side Cardiff City, plus League One rivals Barnsley and Derby County, to his signature.

He said: “A lot of people questioned my decision to come to Oxford. Of course, Notts County is a big team and I was loved and always going to play.

“I wanted another challenge, I have never played league football before. I know [United] finished low last season, it was always going to be a question of how well we do this season.

“I have no regrets since moment one. The players and staff have been brilliant with me and we are top of league one. “

On the U’s early season form, he said: “You always look forward to the next game, especially when you are top.

“Teams come knowing it is going to be a tough game for them so they are going to have to bring everything which makes us be on our toes.

“We know we have to deliver because know how good we are now. That always makes it better because playing well makes it fun for everyone, it’s nice winning games and buzz around here.

“It’s still the first five games, so of course we are happy but we haven’t done anything really, there are 41 games left.”

And on that elusive first goal, he added: “Of course I want a goal, I know as soon as it comes then more will follow.

“It is always the first one that is the waiting process. I know it will come because the good things take time.”

• Like 14
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Oxford are doing very well at the moment they are surprising a lot of people, I’m glad Reuben is settled there and wish him success but I’m also glad we don’t seem to be missing him at the moment.

• Like 14

i know an oxford united fan who told me their fans see a good player in him, yet have not seen anything spectacular so far. if he settles in properly, as five games in is way too early especially when you are appearing as a sub, if he breaks into their starting 11. he should be a player that wins them over.

• Like 15

They rate his ability but don’t believe they are seeing the best of him or are playing him in the right way.

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/20-ruben-rodrigues.9579/page-8

He also needs to tighten up on his first touch, often very sloppy, meaning he's under pressure by the time he takes his 2nd touch.

Was thinking yesterday both he (and Bodin) should have come off a bit earlier. Some poor decision making all round, but those two caught my eye the most.

💯 agree though. Once up to speed, looks a great prospect.

He's a great player but he needs just to improve his final ball and decision making. Gets into all the right positions but one or two times yesterday he missed out on feeding either Harris or Tyler through and chose the wrong option. Keep his head down and he'll improve and find more and more of these opportunities. It's great to actually have someone who can carve the midfield and defences apart the way he does without having to blister forward.

He's got the class it's fitness ,it's always amazing how every level you go up how strong and fit and more professional players become he's certainly got the talent So there's work to be done .I do believe by the end of the season there will be a better player than thr start of the season.

• Like 14

Their fans on Twitter are constantly complaining about him when they play Derby County. I saw an Oxford United fan say he was a pointless substitute and offered nothing, just misplacing passes, but they need to give him time. He always seemed to struggle with his match fitness here, but his form saw him through that.

• Like 13

Oxford United fans should be patient and give Ruben Rodrigues more time to settle in. He didn’t instantly set the National League alight, but he’s a player who thrives when surrounded by quality. This season should be viewed as a project, with the aim of figuring out how best to utilise Rodrigues’ skills and help him perform at his best. With the right support, he’ll have no trouble proving his worth in League One.

• Like 10

I think some fans might still be raw about Ruben Rodrigues choosing to move on from Notts.

Personally, I will always show an interest in someone who contributed to our progression. Oxford United fans must stay patient, if they are not using him to the best of his ability, then their manager must review his role for us and try to bring that into their own tactics.

He'll be up to speed not before long, providing nutmegs and quality assists.

I'm pleased they've started well, as I thought they would struggle this season. It would be nice if Ruben played a big role in it.

• Like 8

Ruben Rodrigues took time for us; he’s not an 8-star every game type of player. He will get his 5s, 6s, and sometimes much lower. Yet he will get those impressive numbers given the chance. Oxford United won’t know what quality he has until he’s properly settled into the area; it’s no Nottingham, but if their fans get behind him, he’ll respond with good performances.

• Like 9

In my opinion, the decision doesn't seem to be the right one. While Oxford United might be performing admirably at the moment, they fall into the category of typical League One teams known for their lack of consistency. I genuinely hope Rodrigues succeeds in his new venture, but it's worth noting that even the fans of his new club struggle with correctly spelling his name.

• Like 10

It's great to hear that Oxford is performing exceptionally well and managing to surprise a lot of people. I hope Ruben Rodrigues is settling in there and I also wish him continued success. It is reassuring to see that Notts doesn't seem to be missing him at the moment. It's always a positive sign when a team can adapt and thrive even after the departure of a key player. Let's hope both Oxford and Notts County continue to excel in their respective campaigns.

• Like 7

Ruben Rodrigues was hardly the best performer all the time. What he was, is a very good technical player that could produce some magic that could change the outcome. Oxford United fans need to be mindful of this and just support him. I would hate to see him end up like how Jodi Jones was treated. It was wasteful, but thankfully we captured the better player.

• Like 5

Ruben Rodrigues is a talented player, but he can be inconsistent at times. Oxford United may need to come to terms with this fact, as they shouldn’t expect him to be a world-beater. However, he is technically very skilled and if the club backs him, it could pay off in the long run. But if they expect him to always perform at his best, they might be disappointed.

• Like 6

I don’t want Oxford United to do well, but I do want Ruben Rodrigues to succeed. I just don’t think they are a club that deserves to be where they are. Their fans always act as if they deserve everything and have little patience when things aren’t going well.

• Like 3

Yes, I agree. Oxford United fans need to lower their expectations and be patient because when Ruben does his magic, they will appreciate him as much as our fans did. They can’t expect a player who has been playing in the Non-League to suddenly start performing to the standard of their current squad; this type of thing always takes time.

• Like 3

Ruben Rodrigues is a player with potential and is expected to enhance his performance over time. Despite occasional inconsistencies in his game, he remains a valuable asset to the team. However, Dan Crowley’s arrival has undoubtedly bolstered our squad. His technical skills and creative strategies make him an upgrade for us, adding a new dimension to our gameplay.

• Like 1

Ruben Rodrigues, while a very good player, wasn’t perfect even in the National League, but he has the ability to influence any game even when his own performances leave room for improvement. He’s what you get. Oxford United fans either have to lower their expectations or understand that he needs time. Some of the comments on their forum make you wonder if they had seen him play for us or even knew they signed him on a free transfer.