Match Discussion: Game 21 - The Saddlers (H)

PON_News

Game 21 - The Saddlers (H)

Team: Walsall

Date: 09/12/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

The key area - as it has been almost every game this season - it how the defence bounces back. Anyone who has watched us for the last 18 months will know these players simply aren't good enough to play this style week in week out. Yes, we conceded fewest goals last season but we had the most possession by a massive distance, so we conceded those goals based on the opponents having around 25 - 30% possession in each game. This season is a little higher, maybe 35 - 40% possession and our goals against record is close to the worst in the division.

We've all seen that but it's almost been kept in house. Last week was so appalling - and in the FA Cup - so has been picked up by BBC, swept across social media, etc, so these players need to show character and stand tall. You can bet Walsall players will be in their ears reminding them.

Our middle and attach - as a whole, not necessarily individuals - are L1 standard in my opinion. Sadly, our defence is little better than a poor NL standard. Not because they are being forced into errors, but because they make them without being under pressure. We concede a huge amount of goals when we should be in control but then a misplaced pass, a loss on concentration, whatever, gifts a goal.

• Like 17
  • Love 5

Walsall are better than what their league position shows, @sadlad might not feel like it with how their season is going but for me, they have had a lot going on the past 3 seasons. They need a bit of stability, but there's nothing like playing a team like Notts to signify that you are fighting to remain in the league.

Freddie Draper, who is on loan from Lincoln City, is a very good player; he's really shined for the Saddlers whilst there.

Oisin McEntree, Ryan Stirk and Danny Johnson are also players worth keeping an eye on.

From what I have seen of Walsall, they like to try to play quickly, but it's not something a lot of their players look comfortable trying to execute. Theirs height in their squad, so I can see them having done their homework and looking to make the most of set pieces, corners, crosses etc.

If Notts can press, we should be able to have our fair share of the ball if not more. It will be a case of making space for Macaulay Langstaff and other players to have efforts on goal. I can certainly see them being tight at the back.

• Like 17

• Chris unfeatured and featured this topic

I’m hopeful that Notts will kick off with energy and maintain it throughout the game, which I believe would boost the players’ morale. While a clean sheet might be a stretch, I do hope we’ll see an improvement in our defence compared to the Shrewsbury Town match. This game presents a great opportunity to earn 3 points and stay in contention at the top. A loss could see us fall behind in the playoff race. My prediction is a 2-1 win for us.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

On paper, Walsall might seem like a team we should beat. However, I think it’s important not to underestimate them. I trust that Luke Williams and his team have done their homework by reviewing the opposition’s footage, so I’m optimistic about our starting 11. The upcoming match at Meadow Lane promises to be an exciting one.

• Like 9

Supporter+

I’m worried that the defensive 3 will be really nervous after recent performances, they’ll be desperate not to make any mistakes which could affect their performance, I hope if they do make the odd slip up that the crowd doesn’t start getting on their backs, let’s be supportive rather than critical and see them through this sticky patch.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3

i am less worried about our defending because we are capable of controlling games and with our attacking options we should have enough about us to lead the game. i dont think we have any issues of scoring at home, so hopefully we can be 2-0 up by half time.

this said i am sure walsall will test us, but i feel confident that we will be in control by half time.

its the second half where i think they will make changes that prove to be the challenge. so hopefully, whatever happens we are able to put on a strong performance and ease the tension of fans with regards to the defending.

• Like 18

It's a good opportunity to secure another win at home, especially with the cold weather arriving and the Christmas period being one of the toughest times in a season. Notts will have to take full advantage of games like this. Macaulay Langstaff could have a great game against their defence if we can perform well enough. After seeing their highlights on the football league show, they leave so many opportunities to be taken. Notts must be at their finest!

• Like 12

With Wrexham showing improvement, it would be encouraging to see us maintain a position close to theirs. This league may not offer many surprises, but any team can triumph on a good day. Just because Walsall is currently struggling doesn’t guarantee us a win. My hope is that we can net a few goals, boost our confidence, and carry that momentum into the upcoming matches.

• Like 12

I still believe we need to settle the back three down, despite the issues we have seen at times.

Hopefully we do start to see a settled back three, as this would help on the communication front and consistency. The errors aren't something I feel should be a defining part of the squad in terms of us not being good enough. It's just an area we do desperately need to improve, and I think it would if we were settled in this area.

Either include Lewis Macari, or see what Adam Chicksen brings to the role since he has some pace about himself.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I believe David Jackson has been following this discussion, as one of the questions he asked Kyle Cameron was whether they should be easy to beat. The answer is, no team is easy unless you work hard and perform well on the day. It would be great to be 3-0 up going into the second half, and finish the game as we should have done against Bradford City. However, when we play against a tall squad like Walsall, it makes me cautious. The game will likely be close and decided within 15-25 minutes.

• Like 7

Walsall has the potential to make the game tough, depending on their preparation and determination. However, Notts could outshine them, unless we underperform. I’ll be at Meadow Lane, excited to watch the game unfold. I’m hoping for an exciting match and a win for us.

• Like 8

Typically, Walsall tends to perform well or better than us. They often have skilled players, which makes the game both frustrating and entertaining. Since we’ve been in the National League, I haven’t followed them closely and don’t recognise any players. However, their league position won’t matter until after our match. Hopefully, Dan Crowley and Jodi Jones will be ready for their visit. Let’s see how it goes!

• Like 7

It would be a nice to see Macca score his first league hat-trick. His current form is impressive, and his relentless running on the pitch is a significant factor in this. His constant movement not only showcases his physical prowess but also his tactical understanding of the game. It disrupts the opponents’ defensive formations and creates opportunities for his team.

Walsall, on the other hand, is a team that shouldn’t be underestimated. Despite their current standing in the league table, they possess the potential to pose a formidable challenge. Teams often grow and evolve throughout the season, and their current position might not fully reflect their capabilities.

The progression of the match could be gradual, with both teams taking time to gauge each other’s strategies and adapt accordingly. The second half of the match could be the turning point. This is often the case in football, as the teams would have had the chance to regroup and strategise during the half-time break.

Player fitness will undoubtedly play a crucial role in this match.

• Like 7

I’m optimistic for a well-rounded performance. I’d be disappointed if Walsall didn’t engage in the game. They’ll likely feel the pressure to adapt their gameplay. I don’t think they’ll assume we’ll dominate possession. They might aim to slow the game down and launch quick attacks when the game opens up. Above all, I’m hoping for an entertaining match. That’s the main reason for watching, a win would just be a bonus.

• Like 5

It's going to be a tough game, like every game in this league is in their own way. I'd expect us to control the game for the most part, but notts are always suspect to making silly errors in parts of the game that are not needed. Second half performances need improving, we always seem to start slow after the break, not sure if it's a mentality thing or just lack of concentration. 

Defence needs settling, we have the quality of players in the defence. The goals we are conceding aren't down to style of play, they are down to silly errors, lack of concentration in key moments. When they get ironed out I'm sure we will be right up there. Whether that's with the same defenders or bringing someone in in January. 

• Like 7

I feel we might underestimate Walsall, and they could surprise us. They have several good players and a tall squad. They just haven’t clicked yet. I don’t know much about the club’s background or if they have issues with recruitment or money, but I expect them to come prepared to Meadow Lane.

• Like 6

Based on Walsall’s performance, Notts should have ample opportunities and devise innovative strategies to advance the ball into attack zones. Aaron Nemane and Dan Crowley could prove difficult for them to handle if they can weave their magic. Jodi Jones could also add a spark to our game. While Walsall has some good players, they seem disoriented on the field and usually play with just one forward.

• Like 3

I reckon our home performances have been truly special this season; not many teams have found us easy, and I believe that if we stick to Luke Williams' game plan, things will go just fine. I'm hoping we can have a full-strength midfield, and it would be nice to see Dan Gosling start if he's ready to play. I think Macaulay Langstaff and David McGoldrick will have attempts at goal. We just need to play with the exciting intensity we know Notts can bring to the game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NottsTastic said:

Walsall may not be the team they once were, but we still need to maintain discipline to dominate the match. If we can exhaust them, the game should become more open, and that’s when we can really build some strong momentum. Come on you Pies!

Yes, Walsall might surprise some fans. I’ve noticed a lot of people on social media acting as if we’ve already won and that our result will lead to their manager being sacked. I dislike this attitude as it makes us look like a foolish group of supporters. I don’t want to leave Meadow Lane feeling embarrassed. Hopefully, the team can secure a good result.

• Like 1