Match Discussion: Game 22 - Sulphurites (A)

PON_News

Game 22 - Sulphurites (A)

Team: Harrogate Town

Date: 16/12/2023

Where: Wetherby Road

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 4

We’re aware of what Harrogate brings to the table, but I’m hopeful that we can leave all the disappointment in the past and concentrate on returning to consistent performances. I’m not overly concerned if we win without flair, but I do believe that for the sake of consistency, it’s always better to play well.

I think this makes it easier for form to come naturally. Luke Williams needs to work out how to compensate for the void left by Matt Palmer’s injury. He’s one player we’re sorely missing, and it’s no surprise that his absence is keenly felt. Dan Gosling hasn’t made much of an impact so far, so perhaps it’s time to let him start a match and see how he fares from the get-go? I’ll be attending the match, so I’m hoping for some form of entertainment.

• Like 4
  • Love 10

Supporter+

The Sulphurites?? What a weird nickname! Imagine the fans singing “Come on you Sulphurites” 😂 Apparently their mascot is that well known Yorkshire creature an alligator called Harry Gator. Oh dear.

Anyway I digress, onto the match, the team Williams puts out will be interesting, we need to bounce back I’d love to get a win but a draw would be ok.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

i do think we need to be mindful about the squad we start with and the options that will leave us on the bench, an unpopular suggestion would be to leave jodi jones on the bench and allow adam chicksen to start. i think jodi can be a massive influence but his spark is usually bigger when he comes on. i dont think he deserves being benched, i just think we would get more from him if we did. he plays like he wants to prove a point, like hes sending a message for being dropped. we dont have many players like this and it makes it such a useful tactic.

hopefully we do go back to giving steadier performances but harrogate being a team that can play in ways we struggle, it will make it interesting.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Harrogate is a decent League Two team, although there's been comments about them being better than where they are and whilst I think on their day they can beat anyone. They're always a mid- to lower-half-team.

They're largely unflattering, but work hard as a team and understand what works within their own squad.

I don't think they are afraid to have to work harder in order to lift their game, and they can adapt quite well in games, if they are allowed to think. I would have said before our recent form, we would be in such a beneficial advantage with our possession rate. However, I think with them being at home it's going to take something special from us to be more creative on goal.

I have this game currently throughout as a draw, potentially 1-1.

If we want anything more, we need to think about who can cover for Matt Palmer. I would agree starting Dan Gosling at this stage will aid us in knowing if he needs more time come January or if we should pass on his services.

I really want to see our back three settle, but with the defensive wows against Walsall and recent away games. I wouldn't blame Luke Williams for trying to make changes there.If Lewis Macari is completely fit, he should definitely be in the starting lineup.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

I’m going to be in Harrogate without a ticket on Saturday (offered the other half a pre Christmas weekend away regardless of football, so no backing out). If anyone can’t make it or hears of a couple of spares, I’ll be happy to take them off your hands. 

• Like 9

There was a time this season when it seemed like we could defeat any team, and I don’t fault fans for feeling this way, as we did perform well. Whatever has transpired since then, Saturday could be a significant step towards rectifying it. I also anticipate Harrogate to be a challenging opponent who won’t let us play our usual game. Notts needs to think outside the box and ensure victory.

• Like 9

I want to see Notts attack as we know they can. We’ve had good and bad performances away from home, some average, but no matter how we play, creating goal opportunities can win games, so we need to improve creatively.

I believe Dan Crowley will bounce back after being substituted, assuming he’s not injured.

@yelobeli - I hope you manage to get the tickets. You often see them being sold in Facebook groups when some fans can’t attend. I’ll be there, @CliftonMagpie or @liampie always sorts our tickets the moment they go on sale. Have a nice day whatever you end up doing.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I know some people might see this as a dig at Luke Williams, but he really ought to consider giving David McGoldrick and a few other players a break every now and then. I understand it might not be easy, but perhaps giving some of the overlooked players a chance could make a real difference and help the team improve.

• Like 10

Harrogate has adjusted well to League Two, their manager is thoroughly familiar with the club and Luke Williams has praised him in the recent press conference before this weekend’s match. I hope Luke can bring out the best in whoever starts the game. I miss the matches where we didn’t have to make changes and I’m beginning to think that this squad doesn’t enjoy playing in the cold, which is hard to believe as working hard would warm them up more.

• Like 7

I’ll be tuning into the radio, I won’t be at the match but safe travels to those who can make it. I believe Harrogate will be a good team for Notts to secure a positive result against if they can deliver a performance that justifies it. Simply creating opportunities and giving Macaualy Langstaff more to do would be pleasant.

• Like 8

Two things seem unlikely: an easy victory and a clean sheet. Hopefully, Notts will deliver one of their better performances, but I’m concerned about what might happen if Harrogate tightens their defence and makes it even more challenging, as they did in the playoff final against us. It could be a repeat of the Sutton United match on the opening day.

• Like 6

Does anyone know their usual formation? I don’t anticipate many changes from Luke Williams, and I can’t envision him altering the formation. He appears content with it, but tactically, we might play more defensively and closer to the goalkeeper. I’m hopeful that we can achieve a positive outcome. It would be beneficial for us.

• Like 6

Harrogate will provide Notts with a chance to demonstrate the improvements we need. There’s no reason why we can’t slow down and focus on building a solid defence in the game. Sometimes we rush, and at other times, a lack of creativity results in the ball being sent back. We need to avoid this as much as possible, as it would boost our confidence moving forward if we can create goal-scoring opportunities.

• Like 5

I’m hoping the club has invested more effort into preparation. I still believe that a win could significantly improve our current form. We’ve been inconsistent away from home, we need to perform better, but we’re still in a favourable position regardless.

• Like 4

I'm a bit nervous, but I always believe that if we can give Macaulay Langstaff opportunities, he will eventually score and that will make the difference in the game. I'm not sure how good Harrogate are since their promotion, but their league position might indicate their inconsistency.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Todays team, McGoldrick, Cameron, Macari injured 😢

IMG_5539.jpeg

• Like 2

No Kyle Cameron? That seems like a significant change in the squad. I hope it turns out to be a good decision. Since Cameron isn’t even on the bench, I don’t know if he’s injured or just been told to rest. I would have made John Bostock the captain, but let’s hope Macaualay Langstaff can energise the squad and score a goal or two.

• Like 1

not long to go, i feel more nervous and the vibe i am getting i think its going to be one of those games we will just want to forgot.

i hope i am wrong.

it would have been nice to see some stability with the defence, i cant help but agree that changing every game is making it harder. we will see how this works out but i dont have a lot of high hopes in playing only one recognised centre back, with connell rawlinson being the only other on the bench.

• Like 1

i hate that my previous post sounded negative but i could sense this, luke has a massive uphill battle and i dont see how we can get back into the game without conceding a third. the reason most fans are disappointed is because we are better but everyone keeps making the same mistakes and there is nothing learned.

richard brindley can work but hes better with two recognised centre backs imo.

the first goal was bad, but it put us on the wrong foot to begin with and it lead to the second. its quite poor to think we are so easily gifting games to our opposition.

• Sad 1