Anyone Got A Claim To Fame?

super_ram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes,go on,tell us @liampie.It can't be that embarrassing can it?

I was in a national newspaper in an article about me and 2 friends due to the fact we were teenagers who had made the conscious decision not to drink, as part of the "Straight Edge" movement.

It had a picture of us and everything  :lol: They asked us to make sure we had our BMXs with us for the photo, so it made us more edgy.

When I was in the 1st year at secondary school my class was taken on a school trip to Stratford upon Avon.We were taken to see various sites connected to William Shakespeare.As we were returning to our bus after visiting Anne Hathaway's cottage(Shakespeare's wife not the actress) an old couple approached me and my mate and told us that Paul Robeson was staying in a house which they pointed out.Paul Robeson was a very famous black American singer/actor  and was appearing at the time in Othello at The Royal Shakespeare Theatre.So my mate,Jimmy Walker and I decided,as schoolboys do to,to go and take a look.We knocked on the door and a typical old English butler type person answered and rather begrudgingly asked us what we wanted.Before we could answer a booming, powerful, deep voice asked who was at the door and suddenly this (to us he seemed like a giant) man appeared in front of us.Anyway we asked him for his autograph and a huge smile came to his face as he asked where our group was.We told him where our bus was parked and he told us to return there but would come and meet the rest in a few minutes.Me and Jimmy ran back to the  bus realising we would be in trouble for leaving our group.Sure enough we were told off and the teachers didn't believe our story until a minute or so later Paul Robeson came rushing over and defended me and Jimmy's cheek.We had a group photo(Which I still have) taken and the teachers were all fawning but how nice of him to take the time to meet us and be so friendly.

Supporter+

That's a great story @super_ram, can you post the picture?

When I started reading your story I thought you were going to say you had met Shakespeare then I realised even you aren't that old. :biggrin:

I'll have a look for the photo and see what I can do

When I started reading your story I thought you were going to say you had met Shakespeare then I realised even you aren't

I have actually met William Shakespeare.

There was a lad  2 years below me at school-genuine name too.

When I was about 5 years old my dad took me to see Paul Robeson at The Albert Hall in Nottingham.During one song there was a bit of a pause and I thought the song had finished so I started clapping enthusiastically, to everyones amusement.When the concert ended my dad took me to an area where people could queue to meet Paul Robeson who was in a private room.We eventually got into the room and Paul Robeson immediately  recognised me saying  "you're the little girl who clapped too soon" ,and he lifted me up and sat me on his knee and gave me a kiss on the cheek" which made me blush(my dad told me after) but I was really chuffed and excited.He really made a fuss of me and asked why I'd been taken to see him.I told him that my dad played his records a lot and that I liked them too and he thanked me.What a lovely man.

• 3 weeks later...

When I started reading your story I thought you were going to say you had met Shakespeare then I realised even you aren't that old. :biggrin:

Here's the photo @tonyhateley. Can you see me?

cedb55faae583be0eec8c1fbe923890b.jpg

Supporter+

I'll help you @tonyhateley -he hasn't changed one bit. :rollonfloorlaughing:

Is he the one at the front wearing the pretty floral dress. :joker:

Have another go @tonyhateley and this time try to be serious or I'll tell nurse.

Supporter+

Since I don't even know what you look like now let alone 50 odd years ago it is quite difficult but I will guess that you are the smart looking lad with his arms folded and wearing a tie.

Do I get a prize?

No on both counts,that's Victor Fell.I last saw him about 30 years ago when he came into a pub I was in and we recognised each other immediately, though it had been another 20 years since meeting the last time

Supporter+

Right so you are the one standing next to Victor Fell with his hand on the teachers shoulder. I bet you were a teacher pet. :joker:

Wrong again!That's Ian 'Herb' Elliott.Last saw him about 20 years ago and the chap in front of him was the bus driver-lovely chap.

Supporter+

Ok, the little lad with the v neck jumper.

Nope,that's my partner in crime on the day,Jimmy Walker.I haven't seen him since I was about 18.You're getting really hot now.

Supporter+

Nope,that's my partner in crime on the day,Jimmy Walker.I haven't seen him since I was about 18.You're getting really hot now.

Blooming eck, there's not many left now, must be one of the boys behind the lady teacher then. If not I give up.

:cheer: Yes,I'm the one immediately to the Paul Robeson's left but the teacher was NO lady.'Killer Kate' Keyworth.She took us for English in the 1st year and the girls ,and some lads,were terrified of her.She used to patrol the school corridors looking for the slightest misdemeanour and woe betide anyone she picked out.

Supporter+

:cheer: Yes,I'm the one immediately to the Paul Robeson's left but the teacher was NO lady.'Killer Kate' Keyworth.She took us for English in the 1st year and the girls ,and some lads,were terrified of her.She used to patrol the school corridors looking for the slightest misdemeanour and woe betide anyone she picked out.

And they call them the best years of your life. :rolleyes:

The teachers I had were ,by and large, very good,right through infants,junior and secondary school.'Killer Kate' was one of only two exceptions that I can think of. When we were punished it was usually deserved and fair.We learnt how far we could go with the teachers and didn't overstep the mark.One of my form masters actually taught my dad science but taught us maths.He once told me to see him after class when he told me he was disappointed that I wasn't doing as well as I should. I was good at maths but he pointed out to me that I was lucky as there were some class members who struggled. I felt a bit like he was picking on me but  I was determined to show him.A few weeks later he asked me to see him again after class.I was a bit worried because I wondered why he wanted to see me.I needn't have worried though because he was full of praise for me and I walked out of the class room feeling 10 feet tall.He did all this privately in a really nice way.Much better to do this than publicly humiliate students like 'killer' did.

Archived