Match Discussion: Game 35 - The Railwaymen (H)

PON_News

Game 35 - The Railwaymen (H)

Team: Crewe Alexandra

Date: 24/02/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This match coming up against Crewe, who are themselves challenging for an automatic promotion place, is going to be another tough match for Notts.

I would play the side that we played against Newport, and bring in Macari for Nemane at right back and continue to have a flat back four with traditional full backs. I would continue to play the same shape that proved successful in the Newport game.

I hope that our new acquisition, Jatta, will be on the bench because he will give Notts new options.

Our key areas will again be our defence and attack.Can Stuart get the balance right by ensuring Notts do not concede, but also ensure that they are still potent in attack?

Notts have certainly improved defensive wise during the last four matches. It would be great to get a clean sheet against Crewe.

I'm hoping for a much needed win on Saturday.

A 1:0 win would do. 

• Like 15

Crewe is likely to contest for the ball, I don’t envision them letting us keep it without a fight. Notts needs to apply pressure to regain possession and utilise it effectively. It’s a great chance to secure an additional 3 points and put our recent unavoidable losses behind us. I predict Macaulay Langstaff will score twice, with the final score being 3-1. Jodi Jones is expected to score the other goal for us.

• Like 11

The match against Wrexham was commendable, particularly considering it was an away game. I’m hopeful that we’ll display the same level of urgency in our upcoming matches, but with a sharper focus on goal-scoring. We need to create solid opportunities and put the Crewe goalkeeper under pressure to prevent us from scoring.

On the defensive front, I believe we’ve made significant strides towards improving our concentration. I anticipate the game against Crewe to be fairly balanced.

• Like 14

Crewe will pose a challenge, but the last time we faced them in a cup game earlier in the season, we didn’t field our full squad. This could give us some unexpected advantages. I’m unsure if they fielded a strong squad, but on paper, I like our chances, especially with the match being at Meadow Lane.

• Like 9

Notts must win this game. The Magpies have already lost to many matches on home soil and another defeat just wont do. If Notts do loose then in some quarters of the Notts so called fan base will want to pour more scorn on Stuart Maynard, and the more, the team looses the more the band of Anti Maynard Fans will grow. The biggest problem at Notts is over the last 18 months Magpie Fans have been used to the team winning matches, now in the world of the EFL Notts are finding out that the tactics that held them in good stead in the National league Do Not Work in League 2.  Maynard is doing his best and the defence is doing better, but winning matches I'm afraid is the Be All and End All in this League.

• Like 15

If we take a step back from the immediate outcomes of recent matches, it’s clear that our performances are on an upward trajectory. The team is gelling better, strategies are becoming more effective, and there’s a noticeable improvement in our gameplay. However, the critical task at hand is to transform these enhanced performances into tangible victories. It’s not just about playing well; it’s about scoring goals and securing victories. The team needs to capitalise on their strengths, rectify any weaknesses, and seize every opportunity to score.

The focus should be on both offensive and defensive strategies. In essence, the urgency is not merely to play better, but to ensure that this improvement is reflected in the results of the matches. The ultimate aim is to see these enhanced performances culminate in triumphant victories. It’s about ensuring that the progress made on the field translates into success on the scoreboard.

• Like 10
  • Love 6

Notts must put in a strong effort to ensure we gain something from this match. Although our points tally hasn’t been impressive lately, our performances have been decent. Under Stuart Maynard’s guidance, things seem to be progressing well. A victory would be a fantastic result from the game and would help maintain our strong home form this season.

• Like 10

Maintaining our home form is crucial, as it’s been instrumental in securing our stable position in League Two. Our performance in away games this season has been average at best, while our home games have been largely successful. The team needs to keep this momentum going, not just by putting on a good show against Crewe, but also by securing a win to continue our push for the playoffs. We need a goal to strive towards.

• Like 13

i am looking forward to the game, crewe will be a different situation to the last few home games and if notts keeps the right momentum i believe the result will go our way. if we see signs early on that macaulay langstaff is involved, then we should be able to make something positive from the game. dan crowley and jodi jones creatively should be our threat.

i think sam austin would be a good call to be given a start, but i dont see anyone making the way for him.

personally, i would put david mcgoldrick on the bench to rest him a little.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

Supporter+
36 minutes ago, upthepies said:

It’s not just about playing well; it’s about scoring goals and securing victories. The team needs to capitalise on their strengths, rectify any weaknesses, and seize every opportunity to score.

Spot on @upthepies we have had some good performances but we do need to start being clinical and taking chances when they come. Hopefully we can keep defensively strong and capitalise on chances during the game and get three points. I’d take a 1-0 win.

• Like 10

Crewe are one of those teams that have the foundations to do well and can, in any game they play, but occasionally they're inconsistent. I am not surprised that they're doing well now, it just takes a bit of time to build that momentum, and it seems they have everything going in their favour right now.

I hope they focus on playing good football, as I can see them switching to the dark arts if they fear we'll do too much damage with the ball.

They're robust enough to avoid this and to make the game entertaining with end-to-end action, something which Notts sometimes struggles against. Notts prefers to have the ball and intimidate the opposition under relentless pressure, but sometimes I feel we just need to drop it back and make the most of the creative players we have to create that opening. If we focus on trying to walk the ball into the net, I think Crewe will pounce on the counter-attack.

Notts needs to be patient and careful, the right pass at any moment could unlock a good run and for me, I think smart overlaps and through balls in and behind the Crewe defence will be where we may capitalise the most.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Spot on @upthepies we have had some good performances but we do need to start being clinical and taking chances when they come. Hopefully we can keep defensively strong and capitalise on chances during the game and get three points. I’d take a 1-0 win.

I believe that when Notts begins matches in a better way, we are moving towards creating opportunities rather than trying to make things happen. At that stage, we appear to have exhausted our ideas and I think there’s a need to be more precise.

• Like 6

I’m fairly confident in our capability against Crewe, I don’t wish to belittle them but I’m anticipating a very standard and routine game. If we can perform well in the first half, we might see a stronger squad in the second half and an overall good performance for the full 90 minutes. I don’t foresee Crewe to be easy opponents, but I do believe we won’t find them as challenging as some suggest.

• Like 7

It’s a big match for both clubs, the winner will gain crucial points and would it mean there would be pressure on both which sees the match fizzle out to end as a draw? I reckon Notts should be in a better position going into the match but if they start slowly, it could be a different match altogether. I just want to see an entertaining match between two good teams.

• Like 5

We need to secure the victory to demonstrate that the decision at their venue doesn't have broader implications. It was disappointing, but a win would help us move on. I trust in Notts' quality; I just hope the officials meet the required standards. If they perform poorly, we might find it challenging to make our own luck.

• Like 3

This could be a game for some players to show the new coaching team what they're made of - or not. 

Despite our recent results, we could well be close to an 11,000 crowd again and, although Crewe are in excellent form, they don't seem to have the X factor of a Stockport or Wrexham, more of an effective unhit all doing their jobs well.

Maynard needs a win for his own comfort. I'm certain no-one within the club will be putting pressure on him, but successful people put pressure on themselves and no amount of support in the boardroom will replace the feeling of getting a win.

I've seen comments elsewhere that the next 2 are must win. I disagree, especially with tomorrow, but I'd love at least 4 points in the next 2 games.

Tomorrow? Take a point, hope for 3.

• Like 5

The mindset of not taking any prisoners is present in Notts, especially when confidence is high. I don't anticipate it, but it would be nice to witness Notts beginning the game energetically and launching continuous attacks against Crewe. When Notts holds onto the ball well, it's the only aspect where we truly fall short. Against Wrexham, we displayed much more determination. Tomorrow's match against Crewe is crucial for our season. Managing the game and creating good chances will likely lead to a favorable result in the end.

• Like 4

If Notts County show up and play to their potential, I genuinely believe Crewe will face difficulties. I hope we can create the space to keep progressing because we often invite pressure when moving backward. Credit to Stuart Maynard; he appears to be coaching this tendency out of Notts County.

• Like 2

Supporter+

We were robbed at their place. It was a surreal game. Referee off injured. Dodgy penalty to give them the 3 points. Very angry Notts fans. Not our finest moment. Crewe are consistent and will be difficult to beat. They'll play the same way they did at their place. It will be a tight game. We need a win!

• Like 2

Supporter+

2 nil down and you can't really argue with that. It's not over yet but it's a long way back from here.

• Sad 1