Match Discussion: Game 38 - The Red Devils (A)

PON_News

Game 38 - The Red Devils (A)

Team: Crawley Town

Date: 12/03/2024

Where: Broadfield Stadium

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

For the away match against Crawley I would go back to the shape that Stuart employed successfully away to Newport.

If Warner is fit, I would bring him back into a flat back 4 with Cameron, Baldwin and Macari, with a four man midfield. I would bring in Jatta up front supported  by Macaulay with Jones having a free role again on either wing.

The key area is how Notts's defense deal with Crawley. In large parts they dealt with Wimbledon but just succumbed to the same frailties, not dealing with long throws and corners.

As far as our attack is concerned, Notts are still creating chances, that in another time, they were putting away on a regular basis, so they just need to keep plugging away, and the goals will come 

This is a game that Notts, at their best, are well capable of getting a result from.

I would be happy with a draw but a win would just about see us safe in League 2 for another season.

Then Notts can rebuild with players that can boss other teams, rather than the other way around, as it is at the moment.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

Would quite a few of the County ladies team be eligible???? 

We would concede many more goals if the U.S. women can't defeat a group of mostly ex-Wrexham players. How would a team of amateur women be any more helpful? I don't find your post as amusing as you seem to think.

15 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Why not give the young 'uns a go? If there's any not out on loan, you wouldn't be short on enthusiasm they'd all be determined to put on a show.

Undermining their spirits by placing them in a team that's highly likely to lose and could significantly dent their own morale. We passed up this chance when Luke Williams was around, and we were winning with a squad stretched to the limit. Now is not the right time; it would be disheartening for any young player.

• Like 5

What would you do then Joshua? Wrap all the kids up in Cotton Wool? It's one hell of a life being a professional footballer with  Disappointment and Heart ache for most and only a few talented players reaping the Big Rewards. Look at Macca where was he a few seasons back? Playing in the seventh tier of the Football pyramid, Gateshead gave him his chance and he took it with both hands, now the Magpies have given him another chance and he's taken it and the way things are looking another club higher up the Leagues seem set on offering him a bigger chance come the summer.  Football is tough and young players are going to suffer knocks it's all part and parcel of the game, if a defeat is going to dent their moral then maybe they aren't good enough to become a Professional player?

I remember back in the 70's Gordon Banks gave an interview and told any aspiring young Goalkeeper don't join the Best local team, but the Worst that way you gain more experience and build yourself into a better tougher character. In fact just appearing in the Notts first team will boost any young players moral, if the Magpies Win or Lose.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Supporter+

I'm travelling over from Cork for this game. I'm looking forward to it. I've never been to Crawley. Crawley aren't scoring many goals but they are still winning thanks to a mean defence. They are 16th on the home table and we are 16th on the away table. Obviously they are in better form as we are currently 24th on the form table. I agree that we need to revert to the Newport formation and if it isn't working, throw Jatta on around the 60 minute mark and bomb Crawley with crosses. If SM needs advice, I'll be in the away section 🤣

• Like 6

It’s tough to predict our next victory. The Crawley match is crucial, but if we can’t defend or score, Notts will face difficulties. Starting Jatta and having Macca support him could work. Some suggest benching Macaulay Langstaff, but he’s a proven scorer. Dropping him might weaken our attack and lessen our chances of scoring.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

Who said it was supposed to be amusing.. 

Sarcastic without a hint of humour? I can’t imagine anyone saying such a thing unless they were joking. But that’s not important now.

19 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

What would you do then Joshua? Wrap all the kids up in Cotton Wool? It's one hell of a life being a professional footballer with  Disappointment and Heart ache for most and only a few talented players reaping the Big Rewards. Look at Macca where was he a few seasons back? Playing in the seventh tier of the Football pyramid, Gateshead gave him his chance and he took it with both hands, now the Magpies have given him another chance and he's taken it and the way things are looking another club higher up the Leagues seem set on offering him a bigger chance come the summer.  Football is tough and young players are going to suffer knocks it's all part and parcel of the game, if a defeat is going to dent their moral then maybe they aren't good enough to become a Professional player?

I remember back in the 70's Gordon Banks gave an interview and told any aspiring young Goalkeeper don't join the Best local team, but the Worst that way you gain more experience and build yourself into a better tougher character. In fact just appearing in the Notts first team will boost any young players moral, if the Magpies Win or Lose.

We haven’t been great at bringing young players through, and we need to think about what’s best for them. Putting them in a struggling team where every move is criticised won’t help. It’s about getting them ready to improve without unfair judgement, not overprotecting them. The right time to play a young player is when the team is performing well and can support their development.

Otherwise, we risk exposing them to negativity which can affect them more than older players. They might learn from tough times, but they could also pick up bad habits from struggling teammates. We should play them when we have the luxury to let them grow. That’s why, when the team was doing well before Luke Williams left and we had injuries, we should have given the young players a go. Sure, they played in less important matches, but league games are where they really learn, as those are taken more seriously.

• Like 5

Fair Points Joshua but can't help but think one of the main reasons Notts haven't produced home grown talent, is the fact young players are continually sent out on loan to other clubs season after season and occasionally they get the odd outing in the first team usually in a match of no particular importance. Another point is if the team are playing well the Notts youngsters don't get much of a chance of appearing in the team, the only thing that usually happens is they get to train with the first team squad.

I don't think there's a right time or a wrong time for a young Notts player to make his debut that's down to the Gaffer and his staff , I was thinking Notts season is over now  I don't think they'll make the playoffs and they're more or less clear of relegation. So really what better time to blood the young un's? Praise and negative remarks go hand in hand  through out a footballers career. How many times over the years has a young lad shown promise only to be farmed out on loan over and over only to lose interest in the game or disappear into the obscurity of Non League football?  Lewis Macari comes to mind he realised he was getting no where at Stoke, so he threw in his lot with Notts and he's shown what he's capable of  and is turning out to be a decent player who could end up being a solid defender for Notts for a few seasons. So I still think it wouldn't do any harm for a young player to be given a chance.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I hope Connell Rawlinson isn’t in the starting line-up; he tends to make errors. While I value his dedication to Notts, I’m not convinced he’s up to par anymore. I’ve felt this way even before last Saturday. I mean no ill will, as I’m sure he does his best, but we need stronger players. Our current form should motivate all players to prove their worth for a starting spot.

This suggests we could recruit better talent. When Notts concedes goals, it often dampens the team’s spirit, and it’s hard to predict the outcome from there. We seldom show the resilience needed to bounce back. I’d suggest Adam Chicksen for centre back since he hasn’t been effective on the wing and might benefit from a more defined role to regain his place in the starting eleven. Apart from that, I’d keep the team mostly unchanged and work through the errors.

• Like 3

i dont know what to expect, this will be my first time travelling to crawley but i am looking forward to it. their ground seems decent enough. i hope we can play like we did against wimbledon but maintain focus nearer the end. i think we should be able to create chances which lead to goals, we have that ability but its preventing them which i am unsure about. i think we should probably stick with the same team.

does anyone know if aden baldwin is injured?

he would be a massive blow if hes out. :( 

• Like 2

I think thommo you are right regarding Connell Rawlinson, I like yourself hold no ill will against the guy, there have been times when he as produced a top performance in the Black & White stripes, but I think he's starting to slow down, he is after all not getting any younger from a playing point of view. To be honest I thought he may have retired after the Wembley Victory,  and end his career on a high.  But we don't know how he feels he may still think he can do a job for Notts and only he will know when it's time for him to hang up his boots.

• Like 2

We need something to kick us on again, as much as I'm hoping for a win even something like a clean sheet (which would guarantee us a draw) would be a massive boost.

I know it's probably hard for the players because it's not like they aren't trying but they've just got to stick with it and keep positive. You can't go into a game with doubts, believe this is game that starts a run of good form. They know they can do it because we've had some really great results and performances this season.

Please, please, please, let this be the game where something clicks again and we come back to Notts with something to cheer about!

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 2

I'm all for giving the youngsters a chance, however we still need half a dozen points to make us safe from any possibility of us being drawn into a relegation fight, so for me I would continue to play our senior players.

Once we are completely safe then I would consider playing some of the youngsters who have featured on the bench this season like James Sanderson.

I would also play the fringe players like Randall, Morias ( if fit) and Charlie Colkett.

And Jatta has to have an opportunity to stake a claim for a regular place next season. I'm surprised that Jatta isn't already in the side, because he can give the team another option, and other teams can't plan for him.

• Love 1

Supporter+
4 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

Oh dear.... Wealdstone match just been postponed... Crawley not far away... Will it be on?????? 

It's dry here now. Skies are grey though. Feels like it could lash rain at any time. The pitch looks good on the photo they posted on Twitter. 

• Like 2

Supporter+

I found my way to the stadium without the aid of Google Maps. I'm very proud of myself 🤣 Pitch is fine. The ball will zip off the surface. You can see it in the warm-ups. 

• Like 2

Supporter+

Sam made a brilliant double save to keep it at 0-0. Notts have grown into the game. Goal was a throw in that fell to Crowley, he zipped it across the 6 yard box and Sam tapped in. We are winning away from home. This is not a drill 🤣

• Like 1

Supporter+

Notts surrendered the initiative after the goal. Crawley hit the bar. Sam has made a couple of decent saves. Crawley are struggling to deal with the pace of Nott's attacks. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Notts have started the 2nd half brilliantly. Crawley are struggling. The offside goal was offside based on the reaction of the players. No Notts player complained. 

• Like 1