Match Discussion: Game 40 - The Ammies (H)

PON_News

Game 40 - The Ammies (H)

Team: Salford City

Date: 23/03/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

The side that played Bradford pick itself for this game if all fit.

I won't talk about the key areas because we all know what they are.

Jatta has to start again because he gives us a new outlet &  dimension.

The Bradford game has proved that Notts can go long straight from the goalkeeper if necessary and that will keep opponents guessing.

Against Bradford Notts's intensity returned and they just need to play every remaining game in the same vain.

Opponents have always been weary of our attack and Notts need to exploit this to the full against Salford.

Confidence should be high after the Bradford win and I hope this will help Notts to a vital win against Salford on Saturday.

CMON U PIES!

• Like 4

I wonder if Jatta also helps our defence in many ways.  We play around the back a lot, and I think a number of errors come from not wanting to put it into row Z, or getting it down field to relieve pressure, and so choosing the wrong option from time to time.  With Jatta we have that, so the defence can now get rid quickly and that will eliminate the opportunities for errors. The team have been drilled very hard over the last 18 months in possession at all costs football, and overall it has been successful, but increasingly predictable and easy to counter.  I think SM is a little more pragmatic, and in time will help us progress. 

With a win on Saturday we may be seeing the turning of the corner.  I really hope so as I am beginning to think there is a decent Head Coach in SM (if we are patient).

• Like 4

Same line up and same formation, lets just hope SM doesn't start tinkering with things if It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It. I think that may have been one of the problems that has affected SM's transition into the Notts Head Coach, tinkering about trying to copy Luke Williams strategy while attempting to put his own spin on things, Luca Ashby- Hammond also deserves praise in having the foresight to send a long ball forward hence his assist , in other games another Notts keeper would have held on to the ball and started a build up from the back, Luca's quick thinking gave Jatta his chance and boy did he take it. Despite Macca scoring a goal he still seems a little edgy when he broke through the Bradford defence and was one on one with the Keeper  he placed the ball were the keeper could save it, earlier in the season Macca would have buried that. A couple of more goals on Saturday will show he's truly back in the groove.

Have Notts turned a corner? Maybe but I thought they had with the victory at Newport, so nothing is guaranteed. But 3 points at the Lane on Saturday will enhance the chances of the Magpies getting a top half finish and will boost the players and Most Fans confidence.

• Like 4

@Wheelbarrow repair man I don't think Williams tinkered with anything. He only had one strategy  and that was plan A. Play out from the back. Score more than we concede.

Stuart tried to tinker with our defence but he's realised very quickly that this team only knows how to play one way.

I'm happy if Notts continue to just "go for it" and just try to score as many as possible.

We are safe from any thought of being dragged into a relegation fight, so Notts have nothing to lose to just play attractive & adventurous football, mix in the long ball as well as playing it out from the back.

Jatta has given the defence an outlet now, that they can just hoof it upfield instead of getting caught in possession at the back 

That's the extra dimension Jatta has given us. It could prove very useful during these last 8 games.

• Like 5

Robbie agreed Williams didn't tinker with anything in my opinion it was Maynard that's done the tinkering, Williams team could only play one way and once Notts were found out he didn't have a plan B.  Maynard was hired by the Brothers because he had Wealdstone playing in a similar way and I think they hoped he would continue in the same vein at Notts, however Maynard has quickly found out these tactics don't work in League 2 so he's changed things about, trying to find a solution which hasn't been forthcoming hence the poor results, however if he can get Notts playing as they did for the first 20 minutes in the second half at Bradford (said by some to be the best minutes played by Notts under Maynard) on a constant level for the full 90+ minutes in matches then the Magpies should get back to winning matches on regular basis. As you have said Notts now have no fear of being relegated, so there is nothing stopping the players from going out and expressing themselves and Maynard finding out which of his game plans is best suited for the Magpies to play and Win.

• Like 4

@Wheelbarrow repair man I agree. At this point Notts should go for it in their last 8 games. Jatta gives Notts an alternative dimension to their play and inadvertently helps the defence too, because they know that they can hoof it upfield when under pressure and Jatta could get on the end of it with his strength and pace and cause damage to opponents.

Two goals against Bradford by going long is an encouraging sign, because opponents won't expect that tactic from Notts, and short term, it could be very productive.

• Like 4

I think Maynard has had a difficult job.  The team he came into was riding high, but stuttering. and he followed a very popular head coach.  There were (are) clear problems which he identified early one, however how do you change that?  .  Then what do you do, leave things as is and hope that we outscore the opposition?  Whilst that had been successful at the start of the season it was less reliable.  Injuries have curtailed rotation options so some players have been showing signs of fatigue. Finally, the side has been so drilled in one approach makes any change risky.  If the change had happened at the end of the season, then I think a lot of the tinkering would have happened in pre-season matches, but he has had to do it during the season, and I think to take it on has been quite a brave thing to do.  I hope that the upward turn we have seen over the last few matches continues at home and Maynard is successful.

• Like 2

Another thing.. are we likely to see Cedwyn Scott back this weekend?  We could suddenly have a stronger bench  - McGoldrick, Bostock / O'Brian, Scott (although I wouldn't expect a lot from him to begin with).  That could be quite important going into the last few games.

• Like 3

Supporter+

Our recent run and Salford's recent run are quite similar.  Both clubs have picked up 4 points after a run of defeats. Jatta's form could be the difference here. Plenty of space to get crosses in and he's an out ball for the defence when needed. It would be nice to have something to play for rather than the season fizzling out. 2-1 win is my prediction. 

• Like 4

We could have Didzy and Scott back tomorrow too which would make our bench very strong, first time for many months.

We have remaining  games against opponents that we have every chance of getting a result against, which include two awkward games at home to MK Dons and Stockport that are winable if we are on top form. 

It would be great if Notts could finish with a good unbeaten run.

• Like 3

I think Salford had their “new manager bounce” after going 8 unbeaten they are now in a run of 1 win from the last 6. A better time to play them, especially with us also coming to the end of our run of losses.

Matt Smith sticks out as the obvious threat and it’ll be no surprise half of his 23 goals are headers. He’ll be a massive danger in our box, expect him to lurk at the back post from set-pieces too. Could be Warner’s time to shine here, he’s probably our biggest CB so I’d put him on him. I guess the positives are he can’t really run anymore so there’s no threat of him pressing and with our high-line we really do need to keep him out of our box as much as possible.

Watson and Watt are likely to play as the two holding midfielders, so I’m hoping the energy of Robertson, Austin and Crowley will get the better of them and we’ll be able to dominate in the middle of the pitch.

I think I’d keep the same team, only freshen it up if needed. Think I’d keep Baldwin on the bench due to aerial threat from Smith, weirdly I’d be more confident with Warner against him. Can’t see Cameron getting dropped and Macari was excellent in the LCB role against Bradford. That said I won’t be surprised to see him in the team, same for Bostock.

I certainly don’t think we’ll be over confident going into this one, just that we should go into it with a bit more belief. They will definitely be a threat when it comes to crossing balls into the box so if we can stand up to that we should be able to get a positive result.

• Like 4

Baldwin is still suspended @menzinhoas he has received 10 yellows, so an automatic 2 game ban.

Smith is the obvious threat and I think he will bully both Warner and Cameron. We kept him fairly quiet in the first fixture so hoping we can do the same again.I think we will need the keeper to claim as many crosses as possible.

• Like 3

Agree @menzinho the side that won at Bradford picks itself, and with the anticipated return of Scott and Didzy we should have a much stronger bench to turn to if required.

The only concern I have is our vulnerability to crosses and dead ball situations like corners and free kicks around the box. Your suggestion of using Warner to mark Smith is a good one.

We'll see how Notts line up to counter the aerial threat from Salford. Will certainly be key to our success on Saturday.

• Like 1

Notts team to face Salford.

Slocombe returns in goal and Chicksen replaces Nemane who is ill. Didzy is on the bench.

I would have kept Ashby-Hammond in Goal. He did well against Bradford.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Just a flying visit to the forum from Gibraltar, I just wanted to say:

COME ON YOU PIES!

I’m wearing my lucky PoN cap @Chris gave me.

IMG_5807.jpeg

• Like 2