Match Discussion: Game 41 - The Robins (A)

PON_News

Game 41 - The Robins (A)

Team: Swindon Town

Date: 29/03/2024

Where: County Ground

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

I don't want to sound repetitive but I believe Maynard needs to continue to play his best side if possible for these last 7 games.

He has to get his selection spot on this time 

Ashby-Hammond needs to be recalled in goal. I'd have Cameron, Macari and Warner as our back 3. Robertson, Austin and Crowley in Midfield, & if fit, Nemane needs to return on the right, Jones on the left, & Jatta needs to continue to support Langstaff up front.

Key areas will be the Notts defence once again. At this point Notts need to just go for it and just try to score more than they  concede. This side only knows how to attack.

I'm hopeful that we could get a win, because on our away travels recently Notts seem to be playing more freely and with less pressure than when playing at home. If Notts can score 2 or 3 that should  be enough.

Notts need to try to finish the season on a high if they possibly can, then the work on rebuilding will begin.

• Like 3

He faces all sorts of problems - the constant chopping and changing of the goalkeeper (not just SM) breeds a lack of confidence in the defence.  Our defence is ropey (Baldwin vs Warner???) and our midfield is threadbare.  I would go with the team for Bradford and cross my fingers. At least it's away; Meadow Lane will be toxic on Monday regardless of the result so they need to make the most of Friday.  

Edited by Ohh Tommy Johnson
  • Like 4

What's interesting is reading posts by Swindon Fans it seems their defence is worst than Notts, now that takes a lot of doing. If that is the case then the Magpies need to come of the Traps at full speed and put them under pressure from the first whistle. Agreed the team that played at Bradford would be a good choice, but will Maynard pick it or will he start faffing around with the Line up again? It's hard to tell what his thinking will be So For Pity's and our sake leave things alone and give the players the Freedom to play and the chance to get their dignity back and while you're at Maynard have a couple of our young un's on the Bench.

• Like 3

To be fair to Maynard a lot of the recent changes have been brought on by illness, injury and suspension (Chicksen, Baldwin, Robertson, Nemane, Slocombe to name  a few). Prior to that I think he was trying to find out about the players.  I don't think he is as big a tinkerman as he appears.  

• Like 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man @Ohh Tommy Johnson

I get it about the recent illnesses and injuries but the general chopping and changing with players, positioning and shape tells me even after 12 games in charge, Maynard is still unsure of what his strongest side is & the best positioning of his players are.

Chopping and changing doesn't relate to good cohesiveness throughout the team.

Now that Didzy is fit, will Maynard leave Jatta out of the starting line up and start with Didzy to support Langstaff?

I think Jatta gives us an extra dimension in attack & Didzy hasn't really offered much as late.

We will see if Maynard is strong enough to continue with Jatta on Friday.

• Like 2

I'd keep Jatta and Macca up front because seems that Didzy isn't yet up to full fitness so having him on the bench  ready to come on would be a better choice. With Jodi on the Left and Nemane and Crowley on the right as I think those two play together well, where as Jodi and Crowley  don't Gel  when playing on the right as other people on this site have stated.

• Like 3

@Robbie I think he is pretty sure what his  best / preferred starting line up is, but what he hasn't figured out is what to do if one or more of those isn't available.  I think his preferred starting 11 is:

Slocombe

Cameron

Macari

Baldwin

Nemane

Jones

Robertson

Bostock

Crowley

Jatta

Langstaff

The only caveat I would have is Austin.  He seems to like him, but that may be Austin's flexibility.  What I think his issue is what to do if one of the key players is out. With our injuries you have the issue of putting square pegs in round holes, and I think he is struggling to work out which are the closest fits.  Putting Jones in for Nemane is an obvious one, and when you look at who was available you can see why he would back Jones to do a better job of right wing back than say Macari or TAR.  Hopefully, now he can see that it doesn't work, but with our small squad it is becomes difficult very quickly.  Hopefully everyone is fit and firing and we can see a settled side this weekend.... obviously if he carries on tinkering when there are no injuries or illnesses I take all that back!!

• Like 3

• Joshua featured this topic

I've listened to Stuart's pre Swindon press conference and I get the impression that he certainly knows what the problems are, the individual errors and the failure to deal with crosses into the box from Corners & open play.

He believes that Notts are better at dealing with situations when opponents break forwards after Notts losing possession.

He knows that individual mistakes are costing us but work on the training ground can cut them out or reduce those mistakes, I'm not to sure about that 

He talked quite a lot about the physicality of League 2 and we know Notts are deficient in that area. It looks like Notts will be bringing in players in the close season that are stronger and tougher, and can hold their own in dealing with that physicality.

Swindon are a physical side and like to pump balls into the box so that is going to be a challenge on Friday.

Also, expect changes for Friday, I got the impression that Stuart will rotate the squad during the Easter period.

Here's the link to Stuart's press conference.

https://youtu.be/PWj0z8Jj3EU?si=aQKD3zAh4CdjvwX5

• Like 3

First goal will be massive here, possibly to the point of who wins the game, as both teams need that confidence boost a goal brings.

We've got nothing to fear, they've slipped down the table as badly as we have and even though there's nothing left to play for pride should be all the motivation you need. And let's be honest SM desperately needs a decent result to take into the game with MK on Monday.

We've had our better results and performances away from home, so I'm hoping that trend continues tomorrow.

• Like 3

Agree @menzinho 

Notts's Achilles heal has been conceding an early goal in many matches this season coupled with silly mistakes at the back.

If Notts start the game with a flourish, if they are switched on from the get go, and continue with that positivity for 90+ minutes, I'm hopeful that we will see a positive result.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Swindon are on a 4 game winless streak. Luckily for them, their next game is against the side with the worst record in 2024! Seriously though, it's 2 teams desperate for a win. Notts are probably in a better place so I think we will be celebrating 3 points, if not, Monday will be interesting.....

• Like 2

I hope you're wrong Robbie regarding Maynard swapping things around over the Weekend, that's all well and Good but if Notts Do pull off a Victory at Swindon and he changes the line up Monday and the Magpies Lose, All Hell Wil Break Loose. He's on a Hiding to Nothing realistically only Two Victories will ease the pressure on Maynard and his coaching Staff.

• Like 2

@Wheelbarrow repair man I do hope he keeps our strongest side, however it was mentioned that with two close games, that may impact on team selection &  things may be mixed up a little, and possible rotation was mentioned too, with everyone in the squad needing to step up to the plate.

Let's hope that Stuart is probably wanting to keep Swindon guessing.

We'll have to wait and see 

• Like 1

i think this season would end up better remembered if we could beat the team that sent us down, we were doomed them i know but the way some of their fans took joy in seeing us relegated and the way their players did similar makes me hopeful that we can go get all the points. if our players can do that, i think its one thing positive about the ending of this campaign. if we can finish as strongly as possible, it gives us a good chance to pick up in the next campaign.

swindon dont have much to play for themselves, so hope our players see how important the win could be for those who watched the club fall to the lowest point in the clubs history.

i doubt they will end up seeing eggs on their faces this season, they should be good enough to stay up and i wouldn't wish them relegation either. i just hope to win them, so we can nudge ourselves back up the table a bit more. its the difference between a respectable league finish and being average.

• Like 1

@liampie It would be great for us to finish above 10th place if possible. 

I think the Season could be remembered for what might have been.

A very unique statistic could be on the horizon too. With seven games left, it is possible that Notts could finish up scoring 85+ goals and concede 85+ goals. 

I haven't been able to find any statistics on record goals scored and conceded by a league team in a season, but if that happened to Notts it would surely be close to that unwanted record.

• Like 1

We owe Swindon one (or maybe several). We beat them earlier in the season when they were still unbeaten. I thought they looked a decent side, but they've fallen to pieces since and so have we. Prediction: abandoned after the Notts team coach gets lost on the magic roundabout; after a search party is sent out, a bewildered and starved Notts team is discovered a week later in Cornwall.

• Haha 1

Team news for today's match against Swindon.

Warner not selected, nor has Ashley-Hamnond, or Jatta, and we have four defenders on the bench.

Sorry but I would not have selected Didzy over Jatta.

I'm not confident that this defensive line up will get a clean sheet.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

• Like 1

Goal to Swindon. 1:0

A terrible mistake by Robertson with a back pass just giving a gift to Swindon.

Trying to play football on a bobbling pitch, refuse to play percentage football 

Supporter+

74% possession. Robertson hits the post with a back pass. Drinan couldn't believe his luck. We are a disaster at the moment. We need leadership. 

• Like 1

Behind at the break 

The way we played against Swindon at home when we looked so good, 

This performance is just totally opposite. Notts are awful and the goal, self inflicted again.

Trying to play football on the ground on a terrible bobbling pitch is just not the way. 

Get Jatta on for Didzy and go long a bit