Notts County vs Swindon Town

Chris

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

I'd be happy with anything from this game, but Swindon will be doing some worrying too. We may not be Brazil 70 but we're hard to beat this season.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Geeeez . i must be the only one predicting a win. :)

Time to turn the screw on this season

we'll win by 1 goal.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Canadian it's either great minds think a like or you're copying me, mmmm...

;)

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

The Dorset pies are coming up so @Dripsey3's prediction better not come anywhere near true

I hope you're not disappointed,@weymothPIE

Good evening Joe and all Magpies supporters,

Apologies Joe .... I could have logged in at any time but thought that I could not. I think age is taking its toll but I bet Super Ram and Tony are still razor sharp.

Enjoy the match on Saturday (but not too much I hope).

Best wishes,

Mickeyr

Good to hear from you again Mickey.Hope you're keeping well.

Tough un for Pies this weekend. I saw Swindon take apart Chesterfield 3-0 at Chessy & was really impressed with them, a draw would be a good result.

BTW, wish us (Millers) luck this weekend as we're at home to F***st!!!!

Hope you stuff 'em,Brad and tony's dream becomes reality.

Good luck Notts.(sorry Mickey)

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I was very impressed with STFC at Chessie earlier in the season. They're clinical on the break.

We got out tactics wrong today.

I'm more disappointed in the way we allowed them to play, we let them break away, attacking us in a way which leads to goals and each one was very poor to concede. I was pleased by the effort, players like Garry Thompson didn't quit but our tactics were poor today.

Swindon are a quality team, its clear and they played well.

Yet I think if we had of pressed and avoided allowing them to run at us we could have made a game of it. The differences this season is the players attitudes, you can't fault them but we should have been better.

Yet they did their home work.

Also, we started brightly but their goal stung us. I am disappointed but not disheartened.

Notts will bounce back but I fear we may struggle from here. The JPT will be a test, one which I see being hard to avoid.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Swindon were by far the better team and deserved their win.

Can anyone explain why Nobel was sent off and we got a free kick?

Was it retaliation?

@tonyhateley Yes, he elbowed their player. It Seemed two sided, not that the ref felt so.

Supporter+

So the ref gave the free kick for a foul on Nobel, the Nobel retaliated by elbowing the player, is that right?

• Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I don't like being right with predictions (well I do really) and unfortunately they took us apart as predicted. I think I may have even said 0-3

• Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  11

Wait and see my good man, wait and see ;)

They did well to keep it to 3, Swindon could have had at least 5

So the ref gave the free kick for a foul on Nobel, the Nobel retaliated by elbowing the player, is that right?

Yes, supposedly Noble kept saying "Sorry" as he went near the tunnel.

This was mentioned by @Cobby mother who was sat in the Pavis Stand. I'd be a little disappointed if Liam did lash out, I only saw his arm go up and the player go down.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,502
  • Days Won:  9

Swindon played well.

I am not sure they needed to be as dirty as we saw, yet our own players let us down. Woeful at the back, simply not good enough and we could have changed it at half time. Tactics wrong? I do not think we could see a way forward playing for the formation we did and Cassidy alone upfront.

We need to see better at home Notts!

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Days Won:  5

Swindon played very well, they're a league different to us.

Barnsley looked exactly like Swindon did, yet we managed to over turn that. I could not see us doing the same against Swindon, annoyed that Noble decided to give himself a suspension. You can rant and moan about referees but the players should re-watch this performance and do so until they see the error of their ways.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  3

Tough game.

The players should not be overly down because Swindon shown their class today, you would not believe for a second that they had young players on the field. You would have though that Notts was not of the same class, you would be right but that goes with the hard work.

Poor first goal, it was a replica of last season.

Caught out on the break but I feel we should have had a pen, i think Swindon should have seen two players sent off and Noble, what was he thinking?

Talk about hero to zero.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Today for me was the grounding that our league position needed, we are nothing more than a lower mid table side who the bottom half can't beat,

It's games like this that you wish your manager/assistant would just come out and say we were cack and that he along with the players got everything wrong, not the usual crap that turns people away (I haven't heard the interview but can't imagine it would be as honest as it should be)

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Well first things first I'm calling for it to be made illegal for "mystic" @Dripsey3 to ever predict the outcome of at least games I attend again, well done mate!

No seriously though, I think today is one of them days where you have to just hold your hands up and admit we were beaten by a much better side than us. Their players are all proven at both this level and above. They are a championship side, and on what I saw today could overhaul Bristol City and win this league. They've beaten the top sides in this league and we saw why today. The way they kept the ball, moved it around, but also did the nasty stuff so well - you couldn't help but admire it really. Usually at this level sides can either be physical or play nice football, but Swindon do both very well. Good luck to them, they're a top side.

But there can be no denying we made it a bit too easy for them today. We conceeded a really sloppy opening goal (all 3 in truth), the defence just fell asleep, and when you go 1-0 down so early on against a side of that quality your always going to be up against it. Yet that said I didn't think we had a bad first half at all. Yeah we were uncharacteristically shakey at the back, but when we had the ball we moved it around quite nicely, just the end product was lacking. McLaughlin appeared to have an off day with his deliveries.

I said at half time I thought it was made for Petrasso to come on and inject a bit of pace into us, and he made an instant impact in the first five minutes of the second half. We had a couple of decent opportunities in the opening few minutes of the second half, and I think we definitely should've had a penalty when the defender literaly tugged him back, but to then let them go straight up the other end for 2-0, and allow them to run through to the midfield so easily was quite poor.

Not sure what happened with the sending off, didn't see the incident myself, and once the third went in that was game set and match. To be honest at 3-0 with half an hour remaining I thought we might be in for a 5 or 6-0 but thanks to some last ditch defending and a couple of good saves it didn't become an embarrassment.

I know we had ten men but we didn't really keep the ball well enough, we hardly strung two passes together. But again, you have to credit Swindon there. Even at 3-0 with the points sealed they had 3 or 4 players on our man instantly on those rare occasions they lost possesion. They didn't give us a moments peace, it was the pefect away performance from them to be honest.

Can't fault the effort or commitment one bit, that wasn't lacking at all. As I say, we were taught a footballing lesson by a very good side today. You need every one of your players to be at their best to get anything out of that and sadly they weren't today. Must mention for Drissa Traore though, I think he was by far the best player in a black and white shirt today. He didn't stop running all game, won plenty of challenges, and kept the ball well. He looks like a cracking little player.

No point throwing the toys out the pram or being too downhearted by today. We're not the best side in this division, we will get days like this. But just remember the position we where in nine months ago. Nine months ago, if someone had told you you'd be going into Christmas comfortable in the top ten of LEAGUE ONE, you'd have snapped both hands off.

A word on the red card too. Now obviously the sending off is not the defining moment of today's game, but I can't work it out. He can't have sent him off for an elbow - Noble has eyes only for the ball and the defender jumps into him from behind. Noble said on Twitter it was for "retaliation". Again, I can't see anything. And then he referee has awarded us for the free kick! Words defy me.

Despite the result I still had an enjoyable trip. I always do enjoy the Notts games I get to really, have to make the most of them. Although every trip just makes me wish I could be there every week even more. I do miss it more than I used to. Good to see a few familier faces too.

Onwards and upwards, we'll bounce back next game. YP

• Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Told you Swindon were good!!!

We mullered F***st, hit the woodwork, missed countless chances, yet Wigley with a straight face said that a draw was a fair result......FFS!!!!

• Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

Derry needs to look no further than himself for what went wrong in this game! One up front - negative tactic at home and then he chooses Cassidy whose lazy, useless and not fit to wear the shirt! Curtis Thompson cannot defend and shouldn't be Dumbaya's understudy and has been responsible in several games for goals scored against us. Noble and Carroll both losing the plot just before half time! Derry should have been taking control of their behaviour. I said to people around me that Noble would be sent off if he wasn't removed at half time! I haven't seen anything so far to suggest the sending off was correct but I felt the Ref, who I hasten to add was appalling, would be gunning for Noble. Derry did correctly replace Cassidy but 45 mins had been wasted. Blair Adams - I have no idea what he has to offer because I'm yet to see him perform better than Cranston! Swindon were the better team but we're gifted the win by poor team selection, tactics, awful defending and a s**t referee!! #rantover

Supporter+

Derry needs to look no further than himself for what went wrong in this game! One up front - negative tactic at home and then he chooses Cassidy whose lazy, useless and not fit to wear the shirt! Curtis Thompson cannot defend and shouldn't be Dumbaya's understudy and has been responsible in several games for goals scored against us. Noble and Carroll both losing the plot just before half time! Derry should have been taking control of their behaviour. I said to people around me that Noble would be sent off if he wasn't removed at half time! I haven't seen anything so far to suggest the sending off was correct but I felt the Ref, who I hasten to add was appalling, would be gunning for Noble. Derry did correctly replace Cassidy but 45 mins had been wasted. Blair Adams - I have no idea what he has to offer because I'm yet to see him perform better than Cranston! Swindon were the better team but we're gifted the win by poor team selection, tactics, awful defending and a s**t referee!! #rantover

I have to agree the point about Nobel he had been elbowed twice and no action had been taken so he was really fired up and looked to be hot headed. I feel Derry should either had a word at half time and told him to calm down or substituted him, I wasn't the least surprised when he got sent off I could see it coming.

I don't think it would have changed the result however, we'd still have lost with 11 men, they were just too good for us on the day. As Derry said after the match we have to take our medicine.

• Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Every person who I've spoken to since last night does seem to place the blame at SDs door for this one I'm afraid. Most echo what's been said on here so far. Bad tactics from the off. Too much respect for their style. Too much arguing with the 4th official and not watching play (again). Noble was a cert to be sent off so why wasn't Smith brought on to replace him? Curtis Thompson made costly errors (again.)

Unfortunately SD needs to shoulder this one for missing quite a few things here.

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Some of Swindon's attacking play in the first half was the best I've ever seen at this level, the control, pass and move was wonderful to watch. Our defence was outplayed, as was Jones in midfield.  This doesn't have to be someone's fault, players or manager or referee. In this country we seem loath to give credit. 

Thompson was exposed as not good enough at this level, no lack of effort, we put them under a lot more pressure than Chesterfield did and created more chances. The fact that they had total control down their left meant our centre-backs were caught in 2 minds all the time.

Remember Man Utd last year? Their full backs were very poor defensively and so Vidic and Ferdinand et al. didn't look as good.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

Told you Swindon were good!!!

We mullered F***st, hit the woodwork, missed countless chances, yet Wigley with a straight face said that a draw was a fair result......FFS!!!!

Yes I had to smile at Wigley's comment @BradtheMiller

Archived