The Election...

Feral Fox

Who will you vote for in the coming election?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for in the coming election?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Greens
    • SNP
    • UKIP
    • Another....

Thought it would be good to get a straw poll on here as to which way the country will wind up on 7th May 2015.

No need to divulge your vote if you don't wish to as voting is a personal thing. I've kept the votes on here as not open to the public (hopefully!)

Not looking for a big in-depth political argument (unless of course that's what you'all want!) just another opinion to judge the mood of the people.

Apologies to anyone not in UK, but I'm sure you still hold an interest in it and on here you get the chance to vote!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oi, you forgot TUSC!

It still feels a bit odd watching elections from a distance, I'm used to getting out there, leafletting, canvassing and generally getting involved. Even stood in the local elections here once. I don't want this to turn into a MAD-style slanging match though so I'm not going to get overly political (although I can when challenged!), this isn't really the place for campaigning.

From a statto's point of view, this election is a dream. Labour and the Tories seem to think they can carry on as normal and expect the winner to gain an overall majority, but those days are gone. The trend all over Europe is that the traditional parties that emerged after 1918/1945 are losing support to the smaller parties, and it's happening in the UK too.

If the SNP really does win the 55 seats projected it will be kingmaker, whether the red and blue tories (whoops) like it or not. Neither will be able to form a stable government without them. There's nothing undemocratic about this, as SNP voters know they are likely to enable a Labour government after the election. This is unlike the Lib Dems, who were supported by many left-leaning voters in 2010 and then got in bed with the Tories. If the LDs support the Tories again after the election it would be political suicide, but you can never tell with them. It seems pretty certain that the next government will be less stable and could well rely on the support of two or more other parties. The days of an all-powerful ruling party compelling its MPs to follow the party line are over.

Here's an excellent overview of all polls, complete with seats projections: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2015/feb/27/guardian-poll-projection

Oi, you forgot TUSC!

It still feels a bit odd watching elections from a distance, I'm used to getting out there, leafletting, canvassing and generally getting involved. Even stood in the local elections here once. I don't want this to turn into a MAD-style slanging match though so I'm not going to get overly political (although I can when challenged!), this isn't really the place for campaigning.

From a statto's point of view, this election is a dream. Labour and the Tories seem to think they can carry on as normal and expect the winner to gain an overall majority, but those days are gone. The trend all over Europe is that the traditional parties that emerged after 1918/1945 are losing support to the smaller parties, and it's happening in the UK too.

If the SNP really does win the 55 seats projected it will be kingmaker, whether the red and blue tories (whoops) like it or not. Neither will be able to form a stable government without them. There's nothing undemocratic about this, as SNP voters know they are likely to enable a Labour government after the election. This is unlike the Lib Dems, who were supported by many left-leaning voters in 2010 and then got in bed with the Tories. If the LDs support the Tories again after the election it would be political suicide, but you can never tell with them. It seems pretty certain that the next government will be less stable and could well rely on the support of two or more other parties. The days of an all-powerful ruling party compelling its MPs to follow the party line are over.

Here's an excellent overview of all polls, complete with seats projections: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2015/feb/27/guardian-poll-projection

Fortunately I don't think we'll ever get a MAD style argument over here ranting about things they know nothing about.

As I said, didn't want a all in political argument unless it's presented, just want to make sure people are getting involved.

We are lucky to have quite a few younger generation posters on here and I'm interested to hear their views and where they got them from. I too am a campaigning, sign posting at the end of the drive, leaflet giving party activist so to speak. (Especially since when I went in the local constituant office on Monday and saw the two blonde beauties working there!!!) and am a member of a party, but this is more about seeing how people intend to vote now and see if their opinions change in the next two weeks or so.

Aargh,politics.

True @GrannyPie, but as I've said above, its not aimed at being a back and forth ending in the poison you get over on the other site, more an encouragement of the younger voters to give them a voice and share their reasons why if they choose to do do.

Love it or hate it the democracy is what it is and lots of other countries don't get the chance. Their politicians just lie and get on with it permanently. Here they lie then only get a reality check at times like this!

Supporter+

If I could vote, I'd vote SNP. I watch the election coverage on C4. It's not exactly an exciting campaign but it will be an interesting outcome. I think the Conservatives could well be back with the LD propping them up again.

@DangerousSausage has it pretty spot on tbh.

For me it comes down to which party is going to screw you the least.

With regard to the debates I really like the fact that Nicola Sturgeon does the not very politician thing of actually answering the questions directly without shirking them in anyway, no-one else has done that nor will they ever.

Personally I would rather cut my balls off with a rusty spoon then vote Conservative, a lot of what they have done this time round is what they didn't get the chance too last time and for me it is fundamentally wrong, not that the red Tories are particularly any better, although I don't believe they would target the genuinely disadvantaged like the blue Tories have done.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see who gets the biggest majority of the votes

I don't feel there is a party, well, not one with a chance of getting any seats, that would come close to my political views. 

Now Labour have shifted slightly more to the left under Ed Milliband, I would begrudgingly vote for them. He would be the leader that for me has the most intelligence to lead the country. Greens, disagree withfar too many of their points, and the leader I also dislike, the Aussie woman.

However, I will not be voting Labour due to their likely partnership with the SNP. I will never vote for Conservative or their split party UKIP.

That leaves me no further options, therefore I shall not vote. If I change my mind, it will be Labour. 

Not voting Tories no matter what they 'claim' to give, if they are re-elected things will really get bad. I am not sure who I will vote for currently, as there's little faith in any of the existing options but any would be better than them! Minus UKIP. :/

I did something right when bringing you up then. :clapping: :clapping:

i probably wont even vote but theres only one i would if i did.

This is exactly why I started the thread! I think PoN should make it their mission to ensure young Liam does vote on the 7th. That doesn't mean we have to descend into an all out slanging match over which colour you support politically or which way you lean, but if I get the feeling that there are a lot more people like Liam who aren't decided on whether to vote at all and that is a crying shame for the country.

The old clichés such as if you don't vote you don't get to moan don't ring true any more with social media playing an even bigger role in politics and the fabric of peoples lives now.

I am sure there are people who are ardent Conservative supporters out there (@PTID1862?), ardent Lib Dems (fill in as appropriate!) UKIP (though to be honest I think the UKIP hype is just that now - not really a challenger any more their vote does seem to be slipping) and of course ardent Labour voters such as myself of people who will probably vote Labour due to the fact that they realise what another 5 years of the Tories will do to the country!!

I normally vote for every candidate in the vain hope that others will do the same and a massive number of spoilt papers will make the politicians think that perhaps they are out of touch with the country. No chance of that.

So I have voted Labour. Our candidate is 19 years old, I think, and his leaflet photograph makes him look like a young Conservative going to the hunt ball.

In this Constituency a Labour vote is as good a protest as any. This has been a Conservative seat during the whole of my lifetime (I will be 175 next year!).

The main thing is you voted @medievalmickey.

This is a football board and it's not my remit to try and talk politics at every turn, but when I hear youngsters such as @liampie saying he doesn't know if he'll bother voting that there is a reason to discuss politics in the open imo.

Of course my left leanings are obvious, but the first thing to battle apathy is to get that person to the booth!

Supporter+

Miliband still won't rule out a coalition with SNP. This is where he will lose votes. 

He should be siding with Greens and Lib Dem, not SNP. I know plenty of would be Labour voters that won't vote solely because of the probability on the cancerous SNP getting a say, myself included. 

Miliband definitely did rule out a coalition with SNP on the leaders debate on the BBC. You know the one where Nigel Faragh made a right prat of himself by insulting the audience. The leader of the SNP said her party was willing to work with Labour and he said that wasn't possible while they insisted on splitting from the union.

I'd love to get @PTID1862 and @hissingdwarf together over a few pints and have a political debate. :joker:

Archived