Should Forte be in our plans?

Chris

Most on here will know I rate Jonathan Forte as a player, he's a capable backup on the win (although I prefer him to start up front) - I do feel he's a very good player at this level.

I realise most say he drifts, doesn't give much etc.

However, I think he should be in our plans more. He's a natural goalscorer, he does give 100% but he relies on the team to be playing well (as most players do) but his run in the starting 11 wasn't the best time considering the form had dipped. Yet despite the dry patch, he still gave more than some players and he did chase every ball at least when I have seen him.

Whilst some fans are speculating that he doesn't have a future, mostly going on the 'Alan Smith' card - I disagree.

What do you think? Should Forte be in our plans?

I agree. He's a hard-working player and has chipped in with several goals, Notts should keep him until the end of the season at least - getting rid of him in January would be stupid given we aren't especially well equipped up front. I mean, if he himself wants to leave citing a desire for more first-team football then that's a fair enough point but I've been impressed with him so far and I hope he does stay put until May at least. Having him behind old man Smith and not-a-striker Alessandra is daft though - he should be at the very least cover for Stead and Ameobi, who aren't getting any younger and are picking up knocks here and there. Much depends on how KN strengthens his attack in January - I foresee one mid-20s forward coming into the first team and give either Stead or Ameobi some respite, but even then Forte should be the first option off the bench at least, with Alessandra as a plan B and Smith as a last resort.

we have three good strikers who are all different, i really dont get why people bash forte. he scores, he did last season and he has this time. if kn has a problem with him thats a different matter but imo he gives 100% and that is all we ask as fans.

i just think hes someone who should be partnering someone upfront, we need that chemistry up top.

Nolan seems to have something in his mind which he does not quite like but its hard to see what.

I felt he played well during the home games he started, he did lag in some of the away games but Notts did not perform very well. I am not sure its personal between Nolan and Forte, if it is then something needs to be done for the betterment of the club.

Yes, he should be in our plans because apart from Stead and Shola we don't have many other options in the 'striker' department.  Unless that is addressed in January he would remain a vital squad member.  I wouldn't criticise his lack of effort, although he does sometimes struggle to be involved which may be down to lack of service.  The slight worry is that he always seems better coming off the bench than when he starts, which may be a mental thing about having a point to prove.  I'm not sure he is a typical Nolan type of player, but I think he deserves to see the season out as long as he wants to be here.

Even if we replaced Forte with two strikers, it seems madness that we aren't trying to work with a striker like him.

Surely we can work on how we bring each striker in based on their strengths? Rather than isolating them or making players unfairly feel like they aren't doing enough? I rate Forte, he's quick and works hard.

Forte is class when he's on fire.

Fans don't judge players in the same way and they seem harsher on those who deliver a higher level of expectation. When Forte scores people love him, when he doesn't people turn offensive and call him crap. Nolan needs to learn to get the best out of every player rather than a select few, don't get me wrong he's done a great job with players Tootle, Duffy (to a point) and Collin but certain people seem to have bigger hoops to jump.

It just seems very unfair to me.

I feel he's got a lot of strengths which we lack currently.

Honestly, I think Smith got the break due to his cup performances and the fact we need a stronger character up top. I don't remotely think it means that Nolan is pushing him out of the door, this would be quite a silly move - unless Forte wanted to go (which I would understand). He's not getting the game time he probably wants, yet I agree with those who believe he should be implemented more wisely into the squad.

There's the 'motivation' tag that he gets, this seems fair enough but he seems to do well when given a chance. He might be the impact sub type of player, yet I think it's for the management team to get the most out of him.

He's the most natural striker we have and should be utilised far more, but there is something that Nolan doesn't like about him, so he will most likely be gone in January which will be a shame as I have some fond memories of him in his earlier spells with the club.

We'll sign a striker in January, but I bet  he won't be a natural goalscorer, more again of the Stead/Shola mould.

Well said @Fozzy.

With Stead and Ameobi, we have mentors to help Forte and even Saunders but it looks likely we will only prefer two of the four and this makes me nervous how bringing in any strikers may work. I already feel like it won't happen, that we probably will sign another keeper and maybe a winger (just for the sake of it). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does the Mason Bennett injury force any changes here?

I know Forte came on during that poor game, yet if he doesn't get the right service and we can't play to his strengths - its hard to see how KN will start to play him (despite the goals he's scored).

Archived