Sign in to follow this  
Fan of Big Tone

A tale of two goalies

It makes me smile how everyone last season wanted Collin out and Fitzsimmons in, now they've got their wish they are saying Fitzsimmons isn't good enough.

Careful what you wish for.

• Haha 1

Collin was poor anyway. Fitzsimons did well last season but will get better. Need to bring in an experienced keeper to give him competition

• Like 1

collin had better experience which made him stand out as the better keeper but i did think fitzsimons would have done better.

• Like 1

@Fan of Big Tone I pointed out on another thread, Collin was perceived to be a big earner, so the focus of the budget was moved to allow to bring in 2 strikers with fees being paid.

The 3 goals conceded on Saturday were much to do with Brisley and Duffy not doing their jobs

It's about how you spend the budget and last season apart from his "gun to head moment", there was no criticism of Fitzsimons.

43 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

The 3 goals conceded on Saturday were much to do with Brisley and Duffy not doing their jobs

A better keeper would have reacted better to all three goals, the thirds his fault because it was almost straight at him.

Some players just get defended blindly for me, whilst others are critised to the point where they make repeated mistakes. Look at Jones and Hewitt, two of the better players from last season and now they are struggling.

• Like 1

I've said many times that Adam Collin got a lot of stick for his efforts in goal, he might have made mistakes but I think now some will appreciate what he did (or maybe not). I think he massively helped Notts last season to gain form, something which Ross Fitzsimons is failing to do this campaign. I think Fitzsimons will come good but he's at fault for at least two of the goals against Cambridge United.

Kevin Nolan said to Fitzsimons in the home playoff leg against Coventry that he would be our new number one.

And, so far he's choking. I don't know if the issue is confidence/pressure or just that he hasn't 'lifted himself' from the pre-season but he's been poor. There's no denying it. Fans are crying out for a keeper to come in on loan and that sums things up.

• Like 4

Brisley, Duffy and Fitzsimons all at blame.

It's a team sport and all have to take some share of the blame, for me Fitzsimons should have done better with some of the goals.

It just shows what we as fans know about professional football? At the end of the day have our say but encourage them when it's needed.

Fitzsimons will come good.

• Like 2

And still some can't accept that Fitzsimons is far from perfect and has some of the responsibility of blame on his shoulders. What I don't get is how Collin would be abused no end for less or similar.

I don't think wages come into performances either, they're all professional.

Ross Fitzsimons could have done better with all three, I haven't been impressed with him but I feel he can improve and earn the first choice position.

Hopefully we get in competition though.

I feel he plays better with someone else waiting for him to slip, he probably knows Pindroch won't get a sniff.

Ross Fitzsimons is now the number one, he played well last season and can get back to that level. Why not chant his name against Yeovil and show him he's backed by us?

If he fails to improve, then the club should get an emergency loan keeper in.

6 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

A better keeper would have reacted better to all three goals, the thirds his fault because it was almost straight at him.

Without trying to sound funny, have you ever played the game?

10 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

Without trying to sound funny, have you ever played the game?

What's the point of your question?

The first shot, Fitz goes to ground on his side without even bothering to get his hand in any sort of position that could have saved the rolling shot which looked to be pretty powerless. In fact the balls slide past him before even reacts, most keepers would react better but what is even with his positioning?

rUr4RKi.png

The second goal he leaves so much of the net open, tip toeing further forward despite never actually narrowing the goal down. Some how neither him or Tootle manage to get it.

LRUlnWT.png

Again, his position was very poor judged and I don't feel a keeper should be beaten like this.

By time the third goal goes in Fitzsimons is static, glued watching the line. Yes the defenders could have done a lot better but a keeper who doesn't react all says something. Again the ball beats him and he reacts after, if it hit the cross bar he would have palmed it in with his one handed attempt.

7z2ZB1s.png

AYLyDYA.png

I have watched enough football to know most keepers react differently, he should have done better with all three. I never said he should have saved them all, but if I have played or not is beside the point.

• Like 4

Think Ross could have done much better with two of the goals that was conceded, yes the defending for all three was poor but he's the last call of defence.

Steve Cheer has openly criticized Fitzsimons.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CliftonMagpie said:

What's the point of your question?

I have watched enough football to know most keepers react differently, he should have done better with all three. I never said he should have saved them all, but if I have played or not is beside the point.

The point of my question is your remark previously A better keeper would have reacted better to all three goals, the thirds his fault because it was almost straight at him :

By your own screenshots the Cambridge player is no more than three yards away, go and practice that in your own garden and see how many times you save it, or even go and watch thousands of games and tell me how may times any keeper saves them.

As for the second goal where do you want / expect his positioning to be?

As for the first goal he was caught in no mans land, day dreaming, his fault 100%. As for how he should have reacted better, you're having a giraffe mate

17 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

By your own screenshots the Cambridge player is no more than three yards away, go and practice that in your own garden and see how many times you save it, or even go and watch thousands of games and tell me how may times any keeper saves them.

7z2ZB1s.png&key=a8e4c2faaa3195b4c5df0f76

But all he has to do is stick his arm out look.

He may not have saved it but he could have attempted to do more. @Northants Pie I think @CliftonMagpie is right, a better keeper would have reacted differently.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

He's a professional keeper, had years of training and even I know they focus on 'close range' efforts, this one is quite flawed in my own opinion.

He just had to react quicker, I'm not saying he should have 'saved it' but his reaction could have been better.

25 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

As for the second goal where do you want / expect his positioning to be?

There's no need for him to leave all that space to his right, either he comes rushing out to try and close the space down or he adjust himself to force the shot to his closer left side. Pretty basic. 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Northants Pie said:

As for the first goal he was caught in no mans land, day dreaming, his fault 100%. As for how he should have reacted better, you're having a giraffe mate

If he wasn't day dreaming by your own admission perhaps he could have reacted better?

Fitz got beat by the side which he should have done better with, the amount of space he should have reacted better. From how he approached, to the slow reaction he did make.

• Like 2

It was all just bad decision-making. For the first goal he had a rush of blood and came running out when he shouldn't have. For the third, conversely, if the ball is coming that close you really ought to take a couple of steps forward and punch it away, as if the opposing striker wins the header you've got very little chance of reacting in time. Hopefully he'll learn from the experience.

• Like 2

It looks like Ross Fitzsimons may be low on confidence, it would explain his poor performances so far. He may not believe he's good enough but give him chance and encourage him.

It's fine to discuss the players and Notts matters here but we need to get behind the team.

• Love 1

All of the players could have reacted better especially the defence.

It seems harsh just to say the keeper should have done better, Duffy could have cut back in for one of the goals and covered the line but he just jogs back watching. Go figure?

I would have found another experienced keeper, if what @Piethagoram says is right. I would say you can't skimp on the keeper! The main positions for me should be on the right end of wages and this is one of them areas.

@TheSkipper I enjoy your article here on the subject of Collin and Fitzsimons