Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NottsTastic

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

How does parents feel about those calling for schools to return to being open?

I wouldn't allow Jake, Ellie or Ava to return until I know its back to normal, teachers risk re-spreading it and, all it takes is one time visiting my parents unknowingly for them to catch the Coronavirus. We've done our part already by keeping clear and, myself and @cheeky~k8 are perfectly fine with home schooling until it's beaten.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chris It must be a difficult one for parents. Kids do seem to be at lower risk themselves, but there's still a risk of them spreading it to teachers and older relatives. The schools will have to reopen at some stage, when that will be depends on the level of risk you're willing to accept. Schools are open in Germany and Denmerk, but the number of infections in those countries is far, far lower than in Britain (in my state there were 30 new infections yesterday, out of a population of 6.5 million). The NEU's line is "only when it's safe" - obviously nothing in this life is 100% safe, but when the government's own advisers have gone on record as saying it's too early, then it's too early.

The school my sister teaches at has been open for children of key workers and vulnerable families throughout, but the handful of kids that have been going in is manageable compared to what would happen if whole year groups went in. They haven't reopened fully yet and she's relieved about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DangerousSausage No doubt that the schools must open at some point, yet I don't think we're quite at that stage now.

Commonly I am seeing people who want their kids to return due to their working situation or, simply because they're tired of having them around. My children are learning every day, we are assigning them our own stuff and I don't worry about any of them falling behind others. Ellie for example, it took us almost 2 years to get her a school placement and she was well behind others when she started.

Now she's flying ahead of her year, but I do agree schools must return when it's safe to do.

My biggest argument is if football and, other sports must be done behind closed doors. Schools are not safe, we don't know if children can carry the virus without knowing and further spread it. There's got to be a common sense approach, if any parents are worried about their children falling behind - I genuinely feel they need to do more.

I bet @hissingdwarf is teaching his children, I wonder how he feels about them returning to school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris said:

@DangerousSausage No doubt that the schools must open at some point, yet I don't think we're quite at that stage now.

Commonly I am seeing people who want their kids to return due to their working situation or, simply because they're tired of having them around. My children are learning every day, we are assigning them our own stuff and I don't worry about any of them falling behind others. Ellie for example, it took us almost 2 years to get her a school placement and she was well behind others when she started.

Now she's flying ahead of her year, but I do agree schools must return when it's safe to do.

My biggest argument is if football and, other sports must be done behind closed doors. Schools are not safe, we don't know if children can carry the virus without knowing and further spread it. There's got to be a common sense approach, if any parents are worried about their children falling behind - I genuinely feel they need to do more.

I bet @hissingdwarf is teaching his children, I wonder how he feels about them returning to school.

@Chris my two are staying at home until I personally feel it is safe. My political views are well known, but even the staunchest of Tories must be questioning all the decisions made over the last few months.

With Ben being shielded due to his disability then it is a no-brainer to keep him at home until totally happy with the schools handling of it.

Schools shouldn't be back at all imo. Far too soon for the children and the staff required to increase numbers. School staff have been working throughout the crisis for key workers and that should continue.

Regards teaching my two...honestly, that stopped a while back mate. For their own sanity! lol They are getting daily work over the internet from their own teachers and I think we're at the stage now that all the children are in the same boat so I'm not hammering my two, just because I can. School work in the mornings and then XBox in the afternoons. Keeps them busy, plus leeps the all important contact with their mates going over XBox Live. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

@Chris It must be a difficult one for parents. Kids do seem to be at lower risk themselves, but there's still a risk of them spreading it to teachers and older relatives. The schools will have to reopen at some stage, when that will be depends on the level of risk you're willing to accept. Schools are open in Germany and Denmerk, but the number of infections in those countries is far, far lower than in Britain (in my state there were 30 new infections yesterday, out of a population of 6.5 million). The NEU's line is "only when it's safe" - obviously nothing in this life is 100% safe, but when the government's own advisers have gone on record as saying it's too early, then it's too early.

The school my sister teaches at has been open for children of key workers and vulnerable families throughout, but the handful of kids that have been going in is manageable compared to what would happen if whole year groups went in. They haven't reopened fully yet and she's relieved about it.

Regards the NEUs line...I was fortunate enough to 'virtually sit in' on the executive board meeting the day after Johnson announced it. I know Both Mary B and Kev C well from my headship years, NUT rep years and political meetings, so when Kevin Courtney asked me to sit in, I jumped at the chance. The decisions made by the unions are sound. The 'tests' that need meeting are secure and sensible to protect the children and all the staff involved from cleaners to teachers. Strike action was discussed, which I cautioned against. Public opinion is volatile at the best of times, but now.....

The current education system in England struggles due to the Academisation issue. Take Nottingham City for example. City Council have agreed with the NEU line and refused to open for more than key workers or vulnerable children. (Which is correct imo.) The issue occurs with multi-trust academies making their own decisions so one school may be closed and the next one along only a few hundred yards away may be looking to open for all year groups asap. Ludicrous.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hissingdwarf Just to clarify, my comment wasn't meant as criticism of the NEU's line, they're exactly right (I know a number of people involved in that union myself). The countries where schools are reopening are far ahead of the UK in lowering the number of infections. Safety should be the only consideration here, and not getting the parents back to work ASAP, as seems to be the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

@hissingdwarf Just to clarify, my comment wasn't meant as criticism of the NEU's line, they're exactly right (I know a number of people involved in that union myself). The countries where schools are reopening are far ahead of the UK in lowering the number of infections. Safety should be the only consideration here, and not getting the parents back to work ASAP, as seems to be the case.

No problem. I probably read into it and with me sitting in on the formulation session, probably went on the defensive!

The NUT as was, has had, and under its new guise, continues to have, many hard working members and reps who willingly have put themselves on the front line of public service. After working in the Meadows for most of my teaching career and seeing members I represented being physically and verbally assaulted on a regular basis, to ask them to put their own lives and that of their loved ones at this critical juncture is a bad call by the government. 
Any teacher will see the advantage of having the kids back, but the cost of that ( Not financial) needs to be factored in, rather than, as you say, shelved due to the economic need of the current government.
Schools should remain closed to general teaching until it is safe to do so. Then again, I think most things should. I genuinely fear a second wave is on the way, and it’ll be down to two factors. Firstly, Cummings and the gen pop thinking sod it then due to his actions and secondly, the Tory driven need to see the cash registers rolling ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

National Education Union Press release

9 June 2020

Primary Schools
 
Commenting on the Government’s decision not to press ahead with plans to bring all primary pupils back to school this term, Dr Mary Bousted, Joint General Secretary of the National Education Union, said:
 
“It has taken the government some time to recognise what was obvious to most. The government’s social distancing rules made it impossible for primary schools to admit all pupils before the summer holidays. Primary schools and secondary schools will not re-open to all pupils until September at the earliest. But even that date cannot, as Matt Hancock has recognised, be taken for granted.
 
“The consequences of Covid-19 are going to be felt in our education system for months to come.  What is needed, now, is a national plan for education, along the lines being developed by the Scottish government. This should cover all possible scenarios and focus on blended learning, at home and at school; greatly increased support for disadvantaged children, including free internet access so that they can access online teaching and learning, and the requisitioning of local public spaces, such as community centres and libraries, so that pressure on school space is lessened and more children are able to return to school in safe environments.
 
“The government must also plan for a second spike. 
 
“Pupils in years 10 and 12 are facing an uncertain future. They have lost a considerable amount of teaching time in school.  The government must work with Ofqual to redesign GCSE and A level qualifications so that they are fair for all pupils – including those without access to computers at home.

“The scale of the challenge is immense. We need a national recovery plan for education along the lines of the job recovery plan.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2020 at 18:21, hissingdwarf said:

Regards the NEUs line...I was fortunate enough to 'virtually sit in' on the executive board meeting the day after Johnson announced it. I know Both Mary B and Kev C well from my headship years, NUT rep years and political meetings, so when Kevin Courtney asked me to sit in, I jumped at the chance. The decisions made by the unions are sound. The 'tests' that need meeting are secure and sensible to protect the children and all the staff involved from cleaners to teachers. Strike action was discussed, which I cautioned against. Public opinion is volatile at the best of times, but now.....

The current education system in England struggles due to the Academisation issue. Take Nottingham City for example. City Council have agreed with the NEU line and refused to open for more than key workers or vulnerable children. (Which is correct imo.) The issue occurs with multi-trust academies making their own decisions so one school may be closed and the next one along only a few hundred yards away may be looking to open for all year groups asap. Ludicrous.

 

 

Nottingham city council dont control many schools now though, most have been forced and chosen to change to academy so its upto the academy not the council. To me it is a good decision to keep it to keyworkers children only at the moment though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About PON

Pride of Nottingham

Pride of Nottingham is an independent fansite devoted to Notts County, the world’s oldest professional football club. Created in 2013, it has served as a source of Magpie news, features, match previews, reports, analysis and interviews for more than three years.

Support PON

Enjoy our content? Want to help us grow? Your donation will go a long way towards improving the site!

donate-pon.png

Meet the Team

Chris Chris Administrators
ARLukomski ARLukomski Administrators
KB1862 KB1862 Global Moderators
CliftonMagpie CliftonMagpie Global Moderators
super_ram super_ram Media

Social Media

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Pride of Nottingham uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. To approve, simply continue using the site or click 'I accept' Terms of Use.