Coronavirus

1 hour ago, eighteensixtytwo said:

Loss of life during a pandemic is inevitable.

It would be easy to slate anyone in charge, however, if you want me to believe Boris Johnson wanted the elderly to die on purpose you're being political. 

You are correct. Any country would suffer loss of life in a pandemic. I would also take a guess that you would agree with me that if the NHS had been fully funded over the last ten years and people’s actual worth recognised rather than diminished, this country would have a better chance of dealing with the pandemic.

Not going into the Johnson thing seeming as the guy is in hospital himself. It would take a particularly callous bastard to be debating the rights or wrongs of a decision made by a person in ICU.

I can’t stand the bloke, his politics or his choices. But I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Unfortunately this virus is getting to the point of touching most people’s lives  seriously one way or another now. This morning I lost a political sparring partner due to CV who was chair of our council. We often disagreed, but we also recognised when the times were there to work together for the good of our communities.
RIP Tony Brewer.

I actually don't think we need to turn this topic into something political, it's about the virus and, sharing information.

I'm not trying to discourage people from posting, having their day, I just want to remind people that debating politics or even mentioning it can lead down a path we as a community need not go down.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris said:

Does anyone genuinely believe that the pandemic will slow down any time soon? I doubt I'll be celebrating a normal birthday in May.

I think May will be too soon mate I'm afraid. Especially with your parents. You'll need to be careful for a time yet me thinks. Hopefully it'll be on the way out by the time the six weeks holidays come around (even though by that time, it'll be the the four/five month holiday!) have you got a trip to Skegness booked mate?

1 hour ago, hissingdwarf said:

have you got a trip to Skegness booked mate?

Towards the end of May.

A lot of the caravan sites have closed, we are thinking it's likely to expand to beyond June. I'm sure the lady that we hire the caravan from will put the payments we've made already towards the next time we plan to go.

• Like 1

I really do wonder why we haven't shut down our transport systems, planes should been halted them moment the UK went into soft lockdown.

Only way this will be cleared up faster and, safer is if the UK goes into full lockdown.

The UK could end up as being as bad as China at this right, they've allegedly lost over 1 million people to this pandemic.

@Piethagoram I've had a look at my flight tracker app and it doesn't look anything like that. Apart from a single flight to Doha over Lincolnshire, there is absolutely nothing between Manchester and Northampton. Many of these apps now also show light aircraft and the vast majority of flights you click on are cargo flights, so it's not a fair representation. I live not far from Frankfurt Airport and there are usually constantly at least two planes over my house. Right now there's nothing. There are two flights about to leave Frankfurt, one is a light aircraft heading for Sweden, the other is cargo.

@Chris The death toll in China is 3,342 and has long since been overtaken by the UK. While the Chinese government isn't known for its transparency, it's not North Korea either - it's connected to the world and there's no way they'd be able to cover up something of that magnitude. It also reacted much more quickly.

I'm fed up of being stuck at home, but other people have it far worse. I've scaled back my expectations of this year accordingly. I'll be happy if I can go to the seaside at some point and go to a beer garden this summer. And not get ill.

@DangerousSausage It's probably false, but I do recall reading about the cover up in a national paper online.

There's been a lot of nations digging mass graves which is scary to think about, as it's almost like what you can see in The Crazies film. This is one report I have just found about China covering things up - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211073/Is-China-covering-death-toll-tens-thousands-Video-shows-police-beating-fleeing-residents.html

They didn't react well, they hid it as a 'flu' like bug at first.

If it started before November, who knows but I honestly believe I had it in December myself.

China and North Korea are a lot a like, both are trying their hardest to cover up the truth. North Korea for example have claimed to be free of the pandemic.

It's all crazy, Russia is lying too. 

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

@DangerousSausage It's probably false, but I do recall reading about the cover up in a national paper online.

There's been a lot of nations digging mass graves which is scary to think about, as it's almost like what you can see in The Crazies film. This is one report I have just found about China covering things up - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211073/Is-China-covering-death-toll-tens-thousands-Video-shows-police-beating-fleeing-residents.html

They didn't react well, they hid it as a 'flu' like bug at first.

If it started before November, who knows but I honestly believe I had it in December myself.

China and North Korea are a lot a like, both are trying their hardest to cover up the truth. North Korea for example have claimed to be free of the pandemic.

It's all crazy, Russia is lying too. 

I'd expect Russia, North Korea and China to 'massage' figures as it's in their very nature, but not to any major extremes nowadays. As was said above, unfortunately the UK is on target to go way past the figures of other countries. And let's not forget the current outcry here now people are realising the UK isn't including deaths in care homes or own homes. Only recording and reporting hospital deaths. So in real terms, people need to forget the 'red under the bed' conspiracy theories and start looking closer to home for governments lying through their teeth. As @DangerousSausage said, China has far too much to loose to try and hide the bulk of it. I think I've said on here before, the China response of total lockdown immediately and total blanket testing is something this country should have done from the beginning. So many lives lost due to incompetence.

2 minutes ago, hissingdwarf said:

China response of total lockdown immediately and total blanket testing is something this country should have done from the beginning. So many lives lost due to incompetence.

I do think China are more used to these types of situations, they're very disciplined when it comes to it.

There's some interesting media pieces that 60 minutes Australia have done.

Those backstreet meat markets make me shiver with how poor the hygiene is over there. without it being placed in this scenario. People putting all sorts of animals in cages to slaughter and consume is just very disgusting.

China still needs to answer to the World Health Organisation though.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I do think China are more used to these types of situations, they're very disciplined when it comes to it.

There's some interesting media pieces that 60 minutes Australia have done.

Those backstreet meat markets make me shiver with how poor the hygiene is over there. without it being placed in this scenario. People putting all sorts of animals in cages to slaughter and consume is just very disgusting.

China still needs to answer to the World Health Organisation though.

totally agree mate. All the wet and live markets need shutting down asap. This sort of thing can't keep happening. SARS was bad, but didn't had the snowball effect this COVID-19 has had. With this being world wide and having such an impact, I'd expect international pressure will do the trick.

Everythings at a standstill at the moment, i just wished people who keep going out unnessisarily would listen so we can all go about our daily lives sooner than later and have less deaths.. its only putting more at risk.

I do question why the airports remain open myself, they should be closed.

I think part of the issue is nobody in the UK political scene has the balls to make such a big decision, it's almost like Boris Johnson wants it to be the last option and making the country force his hands further. Everything that could possible be done to fight this needs to happen quicker.