Sunderland ‘Til I Die.

Feral Fox

I would highly recommend this to footy fans.

I’m no fan of Sunderland, but going through the ups and downs and seeing the insides of the club made for a really interesting watch.

It was really good to feel the highs (and unfortunately for them) the lows again of the passion of a footy match.

I’m just half way through the second season now and it’s just completed the January transfer window. Unmissable viewing for any footy fan to see the phone calls on the actual day. It did get me thinking of big Al again when they started with a 1 million bid, stated no more than 1.25 mill and ended up signing a player for 3 million plus another mill in add ons!

The owner got himself wrapped up in the emotion and was playing his own game of footy manager with his own money! 

I've seen parts, but as a club that spend beyond their means and tried to hang onto their Premier League status at all cost. I find it harder to sympathise with them. They're still a big club and it's not like they're in Bolton's former situation.

11 minutes ago, CliftonMagpie said:

I've seen parts, but as a club that spend beyond their means and tried to hang onto their Premier League status at all cost. I find it harder to sympathise with them. They're still a big club and it's not like they're in Bolton's former situation.

Totally agree. I've not watched it for sympathy for them. It's an excellent way to get your fix. Even if you start out disliking the club, you can't help it as a footy fan, cheering when they score and the lows of going down to league one in the first season. With it focusing on real people, it's easy to associate with them. Second season, the new owners do sort out the financial mess. To their credit too. Like Notts, it was a massive financial task, but they sorted it and got the club making money again. No mean feat for any club.

I've watched it.

It didn't really captivate me as it seems to be doing with others.

Whilst I felt sorry for them and, the majority of fans. Some just came across as very self entitled and, to me Sunderland have never been all that big. I did find parts interesting but I'll be perfectly honest, I much prefer the documentaries that focus on teams like Portsmouth, Walsall, Wrexham and so fourth.

You'd be surprised at what you can find on YouTube, some of which is fan produced and quite rich in content.

I've seen the first series - presumably they agreed to the documentary because they were hoping for a triumphant return to the Premier League, only to end up being dumped in League One. It's a car crash that will feel very familiar to Notts fans. Fans who dislike Sunderland enjoyed it very much by all accounts :D I think what sets it apart is the candid glimpse behind the scenes. We all know what it's like from a fan's point of view, but it's interesting to see the hope, disappointment and fears of players and staff.

Haven't seen the new one yet, but it'll be interesting in its own right. It's on my list!

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

I've seen the first series - presumably they agreed to the documentary because they were hoping for a triumphant return to the Premier League, only to end up being dumped in League One. It's a car crash that will feel very familiar to Notts fans. Fans who dislike Sunderland enjoyed it very much by all accounts :D I think what sets it apart is the candid glimpse behind the scenes. We all know what it's like from a fan's point of view, but it's interesting to see the hope, disappointment and fears of players and staff.

Haven't seen the new one yet, but it'll be interesting in its own right. It's on my list!

Second season is more interesting regards the running of the club. As I say, shades of Hardy on occasion, but to be fair to them, they did what they said they would do. Get the club breaking even, kept them in with a shout of promotion and put it up for sale when the fans turned (which they have in the last three months by all accounts. The deadline day episode is a classic!

I think they originally did it because Ellis Short wanted out and he thought it would bring in buyers. Any publicity is god publicity!

4 hours ago, NottsTastic said:

Is there much on the inside running of the club?

Yes loads. That was the really interesting part for me. With the greatest of respect to Sunderland fans, we’ve all been there, done it and bought the T-shirt. We’ve all done the following the, home and away for years etc...

The really good bits are the stuff we never normally see. 
Plus, as I said, in this time where we have no footy, and even though you know the outcome at the end of the season, you do go through the rollercoaster up and downs when they show clips of the matches etc... an excellent substitute for the real thing at the mo.

• 2 months later...
On 08/04/2020 at 18:22, Feral Fox said:

Second season is more interesting regards the running of the club. As I say, shades of Hardy on occasion, but to be fair to them, they did what they said they would do. Get the club breaking even, kept them in with a shout of promotion and put it up for sale when the fans turned (which they have in the last three months by all accounts. The deadline day episode is a classic!

I think they originally did it because Ellis Short wanted out and he thought it would bring in buyers. Any publicity is god publicity!

Yep, I also got the Hardy vibes coming from their owners. 

Archived