Sign in to follow this  
hissingdwarf

A glimmer of hope?

League 2 looking to finish immediately, use points per game and still do playoffs and relegation?

I'm sure we'd be second or third with points per game I read somewhere, so maybe a glimmer of hope as the league below would probably need to jump into line with promotion and relegation spots to balance the leagues out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

Maybe not then as rumours of no relegation in L2 but allowing promotions. Wonder how that'll go if L1 decide differently?

I can see court cases galore here from Barrow etc...

I can't see how you can promote 4 teams and not relegate anyone. It's yet to be ratified by the FA and I'm sure I saw statement in relation to the Championship that they were still intending to promote and relegate teams.

That said I'm really sceptical we'll get any play-offs this season, especially in our league shouldn't that final have been this weekend? Then the players are out of contract not long after. That's effectively your deadline, some clubs just won't be able to keep players on. You can't delay it for months and then have the play-offs where one team is filled with youth players because it's all they can afford.

Edited by menzinho

In the NL, playoffs are a non-starter as at many teams contracts run out at the end of April. At Solihull, for instance, 15 players have been released and only 9 are on their books. How is fair competition possible?

Holding playoffs in the proper league could be a mess too and would result in an uneven number of teams going up. A sensible solution would be to promote only the teams in automatic promotion spots. That way you'd have 22 teams in the PL, 24 in the Championship and League One and 22 in League Two, provided Barrow are invited in. In that scenario we might also be invited in to make up the 24, but I'm not getting excited about that. 

Possibly another glimmer of hope for Notts? If relegation, promotion and playoffs are enforced in EFL then the NL will follow suit imo.
Maybe a chance to get a playoff game sorted, even if it is behind closed doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193?fbclid=IwAR0KJQmGAA9QEdhzBLTUhj929KnmxWB5dPhyPg0h8mU_9GdgDdUvm-F9s7M

On 15/05/2020 at 22:20, menzinho said:

I can't see how you can promote 4 teams and not relegate anyone. It's yet to be ratified by the FA and I'm sure I saw statement in relation to the Championship that they were still intending to promote and relegate teams.

That said I'm really sceptical we'll get any play-offs this season, especially in our league shouldn't that final have been this weekend? Then the players are out of contract not long after. That's effectively your deadline, some clubs just won't be able to keep players on. You can't delay it for months and then have the play-offs where one team is filled with youth players because it's all they can afford.

This is my view perfectly summed up by Menzinho.

I cannot see how any teams can be promoted without some clubs being relegated.

The key here is that the EFL has sought guarantees from the NL that they can complete next season. If such guarantee is not forthcoming, St Evenage could remain in EFL2

How can NL budget if no gate money coming in? NL could possibly collapse... hence the need for EFL's guarantee to complete the season