Jump to content

Burchnall appointed as manager...


Recommended Posts

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2021/march/ian-burchnall-appointed-250321/
 

Sounds like they’ve been researching the new manager for a while. Interesting choice imo.

Hope his previous experience helps him cope in this league. Obviously the intention is a long term appointment as it’s all about the coaching and ... there isn’t a lot of coaching to do in the current fixture pile up. Game, rest up, game. Rinse and repeat!

Good luck Ian.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no real opinion on this, I've never heard of him and I'm not familiar with Scandanavian football (beyond leading Landskrona Bois to the Swedish title on Football Manager). 

However, it's a very different model. Head coach, youung and no playing experience, He's younger than Michael Doyle! Our recruitment it seems is definitely changing to more of the stats.

Podcast here:
https://anchor.fm/scott-noble7/episodes/TO-OSTERSUND-AND-BEYOND---Ian-Burchnall-ep7rl9

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I have no real opinion on this, I've never heard of him and I'm not familiar with Scandanavian football (beyond leading Landskrona Bois to the Swedish title on Football Manager). 

However, it's a very different model. Head coach, youung and no playing experience, He's younger than Michael Doyle! Our recruitment it seems is definitely changing to more of the stats.

Podcast here:
https://anchor.fm/scott-noble7/episodes/TO-OSTERSUND-AND-BEYOND---Ian-Burchnall-ep7rl9

A much needed change of philosophy imo.

With a combined age of probably 900 years across the midfield 3 at the start on Tuesday, we need a younger coach who has worked with youngsters as his bread and butter.

Im quite excited for the future tbh.

A lot more than I would have been with the usual suspects being mentioned including the one and only Danny Wilson!

Getting off the has beens roundabout is a good idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m the same, a name I’ve never heard of but the kind of manager (well head coach now) that I’d expected the Reedtz Brothers to go for.

Still think the timing was wrong, but they obviously desperately wanted him and see him as the long-term plan. (But wait until we hit a bad spell, cos we all know what happens then!). I see he’s also on twitter, get that deleted ASAP! 

It’s a massive call. I really hope it works.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, menzinho said:

I’m the same, a name I’ve never heard of but the kind of manager (well head coach now) that I’d expected the Reedtz Brothers to go for.

Still think the timing was wrong, but they obviously desperately wanted him and see him as the long-term plan. (But wait until we hit a bad spell, cos we all know what happens then!). I see he’s also on twitter, get that deleted ASAP! 

It’s a massive call. I really hope it works.

Love the twitter comment mate. Nothing to go wrong on twitter at all said Alan Hardy.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Underwhelmed by the appointment to be honest, I felt annoyed by the sacking of Neal Ardley and thought that it would be something that would cause more issues than anything with myself personally.

However, Ian Burchnall can't be judged and the fact he's labelled 'head coach' means that his duties might be more hands on with the players.

I hope it turns out to be a smart decision, but I am not optimistic about it, I think the decision to me is more about next season rather than this one. The Reedtz brothers might be hoping he can change the clubs fortunes during this campaign but I suspect he won't be judged by this one (this could be fair) but it's not the appointment I think the vocal Ardley out lot had in mind. We have to hope he can build a solid report with the players and hope he hits the ground running or has enough about himself to make this work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the interview and press conference. Came across well. Spoke about a more attacking style of play, taking risks, the players expressing themselves. 

It happened lads, it happened, it's Riccardo Moniz in a mask! We'll be top of the league (home form only) in no time! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to be optimistic about an unknown manager, especially someone who hasn't played the game professionally within England.

He speaks well in his interview, if his confidence and influence can make a difference at this stage only time will tell. I hope it works out, we know only too well how inexperienced managers tend to work out for this club but if he can build a career it might be a smart move [in time].

Link to post
Share on other sites

i liked how he mentioned he wanted to build something from the ground up, i know new managers often say things along this line but it seems something that attracted him to the club especially with his inexperience over here.

the stats side could be a useful side, as would playing attacking football.

only thing about the interview is the questions trying to guide burchnall to talk about why hes been out of work, who was interested and dragging in the iceland role. it just comes across how jamie fulleraton was built up. someone who had been coaching and learning to manage for years, but at least ian burchnall has some experience overseas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want my comments to be taken as negative, as I want Notts to succeed and I do hope for the best in any situation.

The appointment Ian Burchnall comes across as a big experiment, underlining the possible flaws of his inexperience in the English game, the Non League could be a good place to learn. Yet those fans hoping for promotion this season, they need to see this for what it is and give him time. The benefits of what he speaks of, are the approach to tactics, stats, bringing in you players and managing a club in difficult circumstances.

I will hold further judgement back, but I am not optimistic that it will work out well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2021 at 15:06, Chris said:

Underwhelmed by the appointment to be honest, I felt annoyed by the sacking of Neal Ardley and thought that it would be something that would cause more issues than anything with myself personally.

However, Ian Burchnall can't be judged and the fact he's labelled 'head coach' means that his duties might be more hands on with the players.

I hope it turns out to be a smart decision, but I am not optimistic about it, I think the decision to me is more about next season rather than this one. The Reedtz brothers might be hoping he can change the clubs fortunes during this campaign but I suspect he won't be judged by this one (this could be fair) but it's not the appointment I think the vocal Ardley out lot had in mind. We have to hope he can build a solid report with the players and hope he hits the ground running or has enough about himself to make this work.

I can only speak as one of the (mildly) vocal 'Ardley out' lot, but I am full of optimism with this appointment.  It's obviously a long term project, so I wouldn't give him any target this season other than to make us look like a team that wants to win, rather than a team that wants to stop the opposition winning.  Since the day he was appointed I've never seen Neal Ardley as someone capable of getting the best out of his squad, hopefully Burchnall will do just that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest, I was hoping for someone with NL experience. Jim Gannon maybe. But that's no guarantee of success - Gudjon and John Sheridan were both experienced "safe" bets too.

I've watched the interviews and read up on his background (tried to find a Norwegian or Swedish forum, but didn't really know where to look).

To be honest, the naked numbers don't look inspiring. One season at Viking Stavenger, culminating in a first relegation since 1986 and a sacking. One good season at Östersund, then more relegation struggles and a termination due to "different visions for the club". That's quite a superficial way of looking at it though, like solely blaming Neal Ardley for our relegation, and a head coach can be on a hiding to nothing when there's chaos in the background. One interesting thing I found was an article about him signing players from Guiseley and Maidstone, so he's clearly kept a close eye on English football, even at non-league level.

I think the owners were looking for someone who bought into their ideas, who believes in attractive, passing football, but is more willing to play attacking football and take risks, and they clearly believe that's what he brings to the table. Obviously I really hope it works out!

The question is, what happens now, how will he approach things? I don't expect dramatic changes. According to Transfermarkt he tends to play a 4-3-3, but he's not forced to do the same with us. I hope he breaks up the Doyle-Reeves double act and starts leaving players up when we're defending corners. And we don't know how the players will respond - on the one hand, there are no guaranteed starting places any more, but on the other, there's always the chance that we've shot ourselves in the foot by firing a popular manager. We'll soon find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They've done their homework on him, so they must know what he can bring to the table. Did anyone listen to them on Facebook Live at 6pm. Came across as very knowledgeable, let's get behind them as we have  the other managers

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I'll be honest, I was hoping for someone with NL experience. Jim Gannon maybe. But that's no guarantee of success - Gudjon and John Sheridan were both experienced "safe" bets too.

I've watched the interviews and read up on his background (tried to find a Norwegian or Swedish forum, but didn't really know where to look).

To be honest, the naked numbers don't look inspiring. One season at Viking Stavenger, culminating in a first relegation since 1986 and a sacking. One good season at Östersund, then more relegation struggles and a termination due to "different visions for the club". That's quite a superficial way of looking at it though, like solely blaming Neal Ardley for our relegation, and a head coach can be on a hiding to nothing when there's chaos in the background. One interesting thing I found was an article about him signing players from Guiseley and Maidstone, so he's clearly kept a close eye on English football, even at non-league level.

I think the owners were looking for someone who bought into their ideas, who believes in attractive, passing football, but is more willing to play attacking football and take risks, and they clearly believe that's what he brings to the table. Obviously I really hope it works out!

The question is, what happens now, how will he approach things? I don't expect dramatic changes. According to Transfermarkt he tends to play a 4-3-3, but he's not forced to do the same with us. I hope he breaks up the Doyle-Reeves double act and starts leaving players up when we're defending corners. And we don't know how the players will respond - on the one hand, there are no guaranteed starting places any more, but on the other, there's always the chance that we've shot ourselves in the foot by firing a popular manager. We'll soon find out.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in last 24 hours chatting to my mate from Sweden. IB and Mo Ross come with a massive amount of respect over there.

The fans there are more ‘sensible’ about understanding the club and its issues as a whole rather than just the results. Ian has overseen some serious success, especially following on from Potter when half the team was sold out from under him to keep them afloat financially.

IB earned his stripes out there and they respect that. He also said the public issues the clubs had whilst he was managing were well known and he came out, not just with his head held high, but with all the fans behind him. No muttering about management at all.

He reckons, if we can let the pair develop over a couple of years, we’ll have a management team that will be on the radar of most clubs in the country, regardless of us being Non League at the moment.

IB also has a keenness to keep the youngsters from the academy type pathways in the club and sees them as the way forwards to complement bigger signings.

Basically, hopes it should be all good!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Feral Fox said:

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in last 24 hours chatting to my mate from Sweden. IB and Mo Ross come with a massive amount of respect over there.

The fans there are more ‘sensible’ about understanding the club and its issues as a whole rather than just the results. Ian has overseen some serious success, especially following on from Potter when half the team was sold out from under him to keep them afloat financially.

IB earned his stripes out there and they respect that. He also said the public issues the clubs had whilst he was managing were well known and he came out, not just with his head held high, but with all the fans behind him. No muttering about management at all.

He reckons, if we can let the pair develop over a couple of years, we’ll have a management team that will be on the radar of most clubs in the country, regardless of us being Non League at the moment.

IB also has a keenness to keep the youngsters from the academy type pathways in the club and sees them as the way forwards to complement bigger signings.

Basically, hopes it should be all good!

Thanks, I've been wondering what the fans there made of him - I usually trawl the forums to find out, but I couldn't find where they hang out and I'm not on Twitter. So I've only had the bare results and the odd newspaper report to go on, which isn't much. I really hope you're right and we're all singing his praises soon! On paper it all sounds very good, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

It's also worth pointing out that Maurice Ross has managed several clubs in Norway, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elite_pie said:

I can only speak as one of the (mildly) vocal 'Ardley out' lot, but I am full of optimism with this appointment.  It's obviously a long term project, so I wouldn't give him any target this season other than to make us look like a team that wants to win, rather than a team that wants to stop the opposition winning.  Since the day he was appointed I've never seen Neal Ardley as someone capable of getting the best out of his squad, hopefully Burchnall will do just that.

This. Although I’ll happily say my Ardley out was more vocal as in my opinion, and now obviously the owners as well, sort it now rather than wasting time. The elongated season means there will be no rest period between this season and the next so plans for next season, regardless of division, need to be underway now. Total respect for Ardley as a person. (Not so much Abbott as I think he didn’t bring anything apart from Steve Thompson esque jokes to the table.) but for me, we’d hit a brick wall. Neils obviously flat attitude was being passed to the players and the whole square pegs for round holes thing was coming back. Enzio needs the shackles taking off, like they did in the second half against Yeovil. Don’t be balling him or Ruben out every ten seconds telling them to get back and defend. The B Wood game I think it was where you could hear every word from the dugouts brought it home to me. He wasn’t encouraging at all. He was pulling them all over the place and Doyle did the same from the middle. 
No issue rollicking them, but if a player is on the field and you’ve chosen him to do a job for you, either back him or sub him. Don’t play him and then spend every minute shouting at them.

1 minute ago, DangerousSausage said:

Thanks, I've been wondering what the fans there made of him - I usually trawl the forums to find out, but I couldn't find where they hang out and I'm not on Twitter. So I've only had the bare results and the odd newspaper report to go on, which isn't much. I really hope you're right and we're all singing his praises soon! On paper it all sounds very good, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

It's also worth pointing out that Maurice Ross has managed several clubs in Norway, too.

To be honest, he was surprised that we had managed to combine the pair together as “they both deserve to be given a shot at much bigger clubs than Notts. They’ve been good individually, but together should make a brilliant foundation for a long term project.”

But...as you say...talk is cheap. Let’s see where we are end of season and more importantly, middle of next season when (hopefully) some of the older generation players have left the club ...Sorry Doyle, Turner, JoB as well. 
Reeves gets a second chance when he’s not got Doyle playing the same role as him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is I hope that he's given the same chance as Neal Ardley to succeed, if Notts struggles or does not reach the playoffs this term than he needs to be given a chance to go again. With his own style of players, a few in key areas and I am sure the club will be pushing forward. If he can gain the experience needed to be a good robust manager, we can only hope for the best. I am more than prepared to give him my full backing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2021 at 23:02, DangerousSausage said:

I'll be honest, I was hoping for someone with NL experience. Jim Gannon maybe. But that's no guarantee of success - Gudjon and John Sheridan were both experienced "safe" bets too.

I've watched the interviews and read up on his background (tried to find a Norwegian or Swedish forum, but didn't really know where to look).

To be honest, the naked numbers don't look inspiring. One season at Viking Stavenger, culminating in a first relegation since 1986 and a sacking. One good season at Östersund, then more relegation struggles and a termination due to "different visions for the club". That's quite a superficial way of looking at it though, like solely blaming Neal Ardley for our relegation, and a head coach can be on a hiding to nothing when there's chaos in the background. One interesting thing I found was an article about him signing players from Guiseley and Maidstone, so he's clearly kept a close eye on English football, even at non-league level.

I think the owners were looking for someone who bought into their ideas, who believes in attractive, passing football, but is more willing to play attacking football and take risks, and they clearly believe that's what he brings to the table. Obviously I really hope it works out!

The question is, what happens now, how will he approach things? I don't expect dramatic changes. According to Transfermarkt he tends to play a 4-3-3, but he's not forced to do the same with us. I hope he breaks up the Doyle-Reeves double act and starts leaving players up when we're defending corners. And we don't know how the players will respond - on the one hand, there are no guaranteed starting places any more, but on the other, there's always the chance that we've shot ourselves in the foot by firing a popular manager. We'll soon find out.

Oh not Jim Gannon - have you listened to his interviews? Terrible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Pride of Nottingham uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. To approve, simply continue using the site or click 'I accept' Terms of Use.