Jump to content

Season solution


KB1862
 Share

Recommended Posts

I agree, this makes a fair point.

In summary:

  1. Finish the season now and adjust the tables on points per game. There will be no play-offs
  2. Wait for the EFL decision before making decisions about promotion and relegation.
  3. Be careful about Premiership money distribution because of issues with later redistribution
  4. Consider an equal distribution of all this money to all the 68 clubs.
  5. Pressure the Premiership for help, not just an advancement of next season’s monies.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see why any club that isn't within the relegation zone or in danger of going down wouldn't want to see the season completed. Hopefully, this will happen and that the FA/EFL choose carefully as to what might happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

Every club should declare their stance, then see what the fans have to say.

There's ways around settling this fairly, I feel Notts would have secured a playoff space and quite possibly challenged Barrow.

Notts fans keep forgetting that they have played a game more than both Harrogate and Barrow - and that the game in hand is Harrogate v Barrow;- so after that game whatever the result Notts would be further away from either Barrow or 2nd place. A Barrow win would have put them 10 points clear, a draw 8 points clear, a Harrogate win 7 points behind Barrow and 6 points behind Harrogate. After that game Barrow would have had 1 game against teams in the top 4. Harrogate 1 game and both Notts and Yeovil 2 games. Notts have only 3 home games left and 5 away - and i'm sure you all know that Notts away record against top teams is great - but against the rest of the league is woeful and they have played all the top teams away.

Yes Notts would have made the play offs easily and could have closed the gap at the top - but the chances of catching both Barrow and Harrogate were very very slim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chipmunx said:

Notts fans keep forgetting that they have played a game more than both Harrogate and Barrow - and that the game in hand is Harrogate v Barrow;- so after that game whatever the result Notts would be further away from either Barrow or 2nd place. A Barrow win would have put them 10 points clear, a draw 8 points clear, a Harrogate win 7 points behind Barrow and 6 points behind Harrogate. After that game Barrow would have had 1 game against teams in the top 4. Harrogate 1 game and both Notts and Yeovil 2 games. Notts have only 3 home games left and 5 away - and i'm sure you all know that Notts away record against top teams is great - but against the rest of the league is woeful and they have played all the top teams away.

Yes Notts would have made the play offs easily and could have closed the gap at the top - but the chances of catching both Barrow and Harrogate were very very slim.

I don't think it would ever have been anything more than a very long shot anyway. Realistically, that ship had sailed months ago, but if all the stars had aligned you never know. However, I do think we had a very real chance of promotion through the play-offs - we were on the crest of a wave, with the team looking stronger and more confident than earlier in the season. On top of that, we had a very real chance of going to Wembley, maybe even twice, so it's galling that such a promising season might be scrubbed out. But there really are more important things than football, and football should only resume when it is safe to do so. If that means starting from scratch, we'll just have to live with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

football should only resume when it is safe to do so. If that means starting from scratch, we'll just have to live with it.

This is my take on it.

The FA/PL/ EFL/NL should all just take a break and reflect one things when they can, if the lockdown is extended further then the season needs to be ended there and then. Play Offs could happen, but I don't see it happening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a shame that this didn't get more thought, I am not sure how many clubs would have voted for the season to be ended like it seems to be. I would be very disappointed in Notts if they changed their mind or didn't do as they have reportedly done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@chipmunx You mentioned Barrow going up on another thread, but this is a better place for it. I can only see that happening if the EFL also grants promotion in its leagues, otherwise there's be 25 teams in League Two. You could promote one team from League Two to get 24 teams in each division, but who would that be? Swindon are second by one goal on goal difference and with a game in hand, and five teams could potentially win the league. Promoting just one team ahead of the others is a legal minefield. The only equitable way to do it is by promoting every team in an automatic promotion spot (and for the teams in the play-offs, tough - they had a 75% chance of not going up anyway), or by promoting no-one at all. Personally I'd like you to go up just to have you out of the way! :P

I'll be glad when these discussions are over and we can watch actual football again. I'm glad I'm not having to make these decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I can only see that happening if the EFL also grants promotion in its leagues, otherwise there's be 25 teams in League Two.

It would be extremely difficult to single out a team to replace Bury from League Two.

Swindon who are 2nd, have a game in hand and are joint 1st in truth.

Exeter and Cheltenham could catch Plymouth Argyle.

Which would mean all the teams from 1st to 3rd would be in a difficult situation and, the other teams like Exeter/Cheltenham could stake a claim that they could've made the playoffs.

There's issues in all scenarios.

Port Vale and Bradford could make a case about it being unfair that they miss out on a chance for the playoffs.

Promotion for 1st to 3rd wouldn't be disputed IMO.

If they awarded Exeter automatic promotion too.

5th to 8th could be the playoffs.

Allowing for Tranmere, Southend and Bolton to be relegated.

The National League could award two automatic promotions, then resolve the 3rd team via playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About PON

Pride of Nottingham

Pride of Nottingham is an independent fansite devoted to Notts County, the world’s oldest professional football club. Created in 2013, it has served as a source of Magpie news, features, match previews, reports, analysis and interviews for more than three years.

Support PON

Enjoy our content? Want to help us grow? Your donation will go a long way towards improving the site!

donate-pon.png

Meet the Team

Chris Chris Administrators
ARLukomski ARLukomski Administrators
super_ram super_ram Global Moderators
DangerousSausage DangerousSausage Global Moderators
Super_Danny_Allsopp Super_Danny_Allsopp Global Moderators

Social Media

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Pride of Nottingham uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. To approve, simply continue using the site or click 'I accept' Terms of Use.