Jump to content

Wes Thomas refusing to train and options up top


upthepies
 Share

Recommended Posts

A bit of drama has emerged from the latest press at Meadow Lane, with the NEP's very own Leigh Curtis tweeting this.

Wes Thomas is entitled to self isolate, I cannot see him returning to action whilst he has concerns about his family. This leaves us with Elisha Sam and Jimmy Knowles, both of which could do the job if they're up to it but Sam looks like he would benefit more from the game time.

Notts needs to look into what options are out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Countyman said:

Fair play to Wes Thomas, he's got a new born and has to protect his family. Notts should be supporting him during this time.

Could Notts get that striker back on loan that was here last season?

There has to be a time limit on us paying Wes Thomas through his own issues dealing with this pandemic.  Notts should look to put him on furlough, if applicable.

I don't know his personal circumstances, perhaps himself or his family have health conditions that put them particularly at risk, which is fair enough. Having a newborn, however, as far as I'm aware, is very limited risk. A valid risk would have been a pregnant partner, for example, but the risk with a newborn is substantially less. Factor in that he has already had it a couple of months ago, and that 80% of our squad have had it (pretty much herd immunity within that little bubble), the risk is vastly reduced. 

Having said that, each to their own, I'm not one to judge how others try and protect their family during a pandemic. However, a person in almost any other profession that is required to work through this, will not be paid by the company to sit at home twiddling their thumbs. Very few people will be in the situation to refuse to work because they believe it too risky. 

I know the owners have been very generous, but we must be realistic, we can't afford to pay players full-whack because they don't like the risks involved, given the losses we already incur due to no-fan presence. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

There has to be a time limit on us paying Wes Thomas through his own issues dealing with this pandemic.  Notts should look to put him on furlough, if applicable.

I don't know his personal circumstances, perhaps himself or his family have health conditions that put them particularly at risk, which is fair enough. Having a newborn, however, as far as I'm aware, is very limited risk. A valid risk would have been a pregnant partner, for example, but the risk with a newborn is substantially less. Factor in that he has already had it a couple of months ago, and that 80% of our squad have had it (pretty much herd immunity within that little bubble), the risk is vastly reduced. 

Having said that, each to their own, I'm not one to judge how others try and protect their family during a pandemic. However, a person in almost any other profession that is required to work through this, will not be paid by the company to sit at home twiddling their thumbs. Very few people will be in the situation to refuse to work because they believe it too risky. 

I know the owners have been very generous, but we must be realistic, we can't afford to pay players full-whack because they don't like the risks involved, given the losses we already incur due to no-fan presence. 

I'd imagine he's trying to protect his wife? Imagine if she got COVID and had to be hospitalized, you'd be faced with trying to look after a new born without his/her mother. That's a nightmare. I honestly don't know how you would resolve this issue, I don't envy the club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dripsey3 said:

I'd imagine he's trying to protect his wife? Imagine if she got COVID and had to be hospitalized, you'd be faced with trying to look after a new born without his/her mother. That's a nightmare. I honestly don't know how you would resolve this issue, I don't envy the club. 

It's not nice to speculate too much on anybody's private life, so I will refrain. Hopefully they are all healthy and continue to be.

If you look at it from a financial perspective, Notts have paid Wes Thomas for almost a year now since the first lockdown, and he's played 2 games (play-offs). If Wes Thomas doesn't feel comfortable with Covid around, will we pay him to sit at home for another year? 

I agree it's not a comfortable situation but it's not a comfortable situation for anybody in the world at the minute and a line has to be drawn somewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am certain that Neal Ardley would've been made aware of Wes Thomas situation early on, I can't see Wes just refusing to play. I don't think he's the type of player who is happy to sit on the bench and get paid for nothing.

The question that should be considered is do we still want his services?

No, I am not suggesting the club finds a way to release him. The issue I see with furloughing a footballer might make his situation harder. It could potentially lead to him wanting out of the club. I feel Thomas is a good striker, who has a few more years of service that would benefit Notts County.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Super_Danny_Allsopp sunderland furlonged their staff and players. https://insidersport.com/2020/04/07/sunderland-furlough-players-and-staff-during-covid-crisis/

i am not sure doing the same with wes would be the right way forward, what would it resolve or benefit the club? i think giving him some time it might see him want to get back to playing as he sees nobody else within a camp catch it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, liampie said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp sunderland furlonged their staff and players. https://insidersport.com/2020/04/07/sunderland-furlough-players-and-staff-during-covid-crisis/

i am not sure doing the same with wes would be the right way forward, what would it resolve or benefit the club? i think giving him some time it might see him want to get back to playing as he sees nobody else within a camp catch it again.

Yeah they did  - a lot of clubs did, most in our division did, but that was when there was no football to be played, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

It's obvious how it'd help the club. We free up a good strikers wage to bring in somebody that is willing to train and play. Simple as that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the footballing point of view it would have been a massive boost to get him back...

The thing is covid isn’t going to go away anytime soon, unless the NL starts testing clubs weekly I can’t see how he’s going to be able to play for us again… Which basically makes all the isolated training he’ll do pointless.

Anyway NA hinted in his press conference that the club is looking a few strikers, with the possibility of signing one in near future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rather than putting him on furlong, I would be inclined to work with him and encourage him to return. He knows how bad COVID can be, as it's been confirmed that he had caught it. I think Notts can highlight how they've managed to reduce the chances of players catching it.

I do not know if he's got a new born or not, I have read this.

It's a difficult situation for all, but getting Wes Thomas back on the pitch would be a goal I would try to achieve if I was the manager.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most people in Wes Thomas' shoes would be wanting the same outcome as him, so it's hard for me to say football or Notts County is more important. As humans our lives, families and health far outweighs the game (as much as I love Notts).

Yes, the money could help us get a striker in.

I agree with the points and, sentiments expressed by @RetroPie.

Give him time, work with him, the respect will mean something to Wes and when he's ready - I am sure he will return. I think once he has time to see that the squad is doing well, he will want to return to playing. Strikers probably get the biggest buzz from playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About PON

Pride of Nottingham

Pride of Nottingham is an independent fansite devoted to Notts County, the world’s oldest professional football club. Created in 2013, it has served as a source of Magpie news, features, match previews, reports, analysis and interviews for more than three years.

Support PON

Enjoy our content? Want to help us grow? Your donation will go a long way towards improving the site!

donate-pon.png

Meet the Team

Chris Chris Administrators
ARLukomski ARLukomski Administrators
super_ram super_ram Global Moderators
DangerousSausage DangerousSausage Global Moderators
Super_Danny_Allsopp Super_Danny_Allsopp Global Moderators

Social Media

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Pride of Nottingham uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. To approve, simply continue using the site or click 'I accept' Terms of Use.