- Be sure to share your views with us - by doing so you'll help support the site!
- Time for Notts County to give fringe players a chance?
- Notts County fans pay tribute to Mick Vinter
- Alexlevy0908: Best and worst Notts County away days this season
- Notts Player in Focus: Michael Doyle
- Faces of PON: Notts County vs Dover Athletic
- Notts County vs Dover Athletic - So close in injury time
- How have the new Notts County owners done since taking over?
- Notts County vs Dagenham & Redbridge - Captain Fantastic
- Just how impressive is Notts County's signing of Kyle Wootton?
- Notts County complete permanent Kyle Wootton signing
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'football league'.
Found 10 results
EFL clubs have voted in favour of shutting the summer transfer window for permanent transfers on August 9. The deadline will now be at 5pm on the Thursday after the opening round of EFL fixtures. However, clubs in the Football League will still be able to loan players and register any that are made free agents up until August 31. The decision brings the 72 clubs in line with the Premier League, who voted in favour of closing the window before their season starts last September. Of the teams from the Championship, League One and League Two, 40 voted in favour of the change while 29 went against. There were no abstentions and the remaining three clubs instead sent their apologies. EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said in a statement: "After discussing the options throughout the course of the last few months, I'm pleased that the matter has been determined by clubs ahead of the start of next season. "This new approach will give clubs and managers the stability they crave earlier in the season whilst also providing the flexibility to add to their squads after the traditional deadline until the end of month if required." Share your thoughts about this news story on Pride of Nottingham by signing up to the website, visiting the forum and joining in the chat with hundreds of fellow Notts County fans. Fancy showcasing your brand or business on Pride of Nottingham? Click here to find out more about sponsorship and advertising opportunities with us.
Former Notts County defender Michael Johnson has stated that a Rooney Rule in football will allow black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) coaches to showcase their talent. Despite BAME footballers constituting almost 30 per cent of players, the percentage of BAME senior coaches at professional football clubs currently stands at 4.6 per cent. At present, there are five BAME managers in the top four divisions - Keith Curle, Chris Hughton, Nuno Espirito Santo, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Jack Lester. Named after former Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney and introduced in 2003, the rule states that at least one ethnic minority candidate must be interviewed for each senior coaching position. Johnson praised the Football League for the Rooney Rule scheme it piloted last season, which he said has resulted in an "uplift" in the number of BAME coaches recruited for academy coaching roles. But the under-representation of BAME coaches in first-team managerial positions remains an issue, and Johnson believes the implementation of the rule would help address the disparity. "We're not saying anybody because you're black or because you're Asian should get a job," Johnson told Sky Sports News. "No, absolutely not. "What we are saying is that it would be great just to get an opportunity to be in the interview room and just be part of that interview process. Just let somebody look at you and see what you're all about. "At the minute, there are not enough black or Asian coaches getting through the door to be allowed to showcase their skills. The Rooney Rule would be a remedy." Share your thoughts about this news story on Pride of Nottingham by signing up to the website, visiting the forum and joining in the chat with hundreds of fellow Notts County fans. Fancy showcasing your brand or business on Pride of Nottingham? Click here to find out more about sponsorship and advertising opportunities with us.
Alan Hardy has revealed that Notts County have complained to the Football League over their fixtures this season. The Magpies have been handed long midweek away trips to Yeovil Town and Exeter City this season, while Boxing Day will bring a trip to Morecambe followed by an away day at Swindon Town. Notts manager Kevin Nolan has already criticised the schedule as “scandalous” and Magpies owner Hardy has followed up with an official complaint. “The Football League have got it wrong,” he told the Nottingham Post. “I think first of all, the long trips such as Exeter, like we have already had this season, should be on a Saturday. “People will at least make a day or weekend of it. They will set off early in the morning, stop for some lunch, get to the ground early and prepare for the match. “We’ve already complained to the Football League about it and especially our Christmas fixtures. “Christmas is dreadful for our fans. Fans shouldn’t be returning home as late as they will when we play Morecambe on Boxing Day. “They’ve got that one badly wrong. Boxing Day fixtures, in my view, should traditionally be reserved for derbies. “Could you have imagined playing Mansfield or Lincoln? The gates we have had for those games already this season would have been boosted by another couple of thousand at least. Share your thoughts about this news story on Pride of Nottingham by signing up to the website, visiting the forum and joining in the chat with hundreds of fellow Notts County fans. Fancy showcasing your brand or business on Pride of Nottingham? Click here to find out more about sponsorship and advertising opportunities with us.
From BBC Sport: Premier League clubs have voted to close next summer's transfer window before the 2018-19 season starts. Managers have complained that signing players once the season is under way causes disruption to their squads and preparations. From next season, the window will close at 17:00 BST on the Thursday before the Premier League campaign begins. The vote was not unanimous and clubs will still be able to sell players until the end of the normal window. Fourteen Premier League clubs voted in favour of the amendment, which was the minimum total needed for the plans to be approved. Manchester United, Manchester City, Watford, Swansea and Crystal Palace voted against the proposal while Burnley abstained. The window across Europe runs until 31 August. The Premier League's move means while clubs will be able to sell until that date, buying activity will cease on 9 August for the 2018-19 season. European leagues will still be able to buy and sell until 31 August, while the Football League's window also remains unaltered. Football League bosses have indicated they could follow the Premier League's move but require further dialogue with stakeholders before a decision is made. The last bit is crucial - with the PL having blazed the trail with this decision, does it mean that the EFL also adopting it is imminent? Or could they say "nope, we want it to carry on until 11pm on August 31?" Share your thoughts - both in terms of the standalone decision by the PL and what it could mean for the EFL.
The list of released and retained players at EFL clubs has been published following the conclusion of the 2016/17 season. Players detailed on the released list can still re-sign or may have now re-signed for their respective clubs ahead of the new season, and so their inclusion does not necessarily mean the player will be leaving the club. The information was correct as of 20th May 2017. https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/efl-released-and-retained-list---2016-17.pdf
As someone who grew up in the 1990s, I honestly believe that it was the best decade for a young boy to come of age. The music was incredible, there were so many good shows on television, and technology was life-enriching without being suffocatingly all-encompassing as it is today. And then we have the football. Italia 1990 and Euro 1996 saw England give genuine hope to the nation's fans that football was in fact coming home, while the advent of the Premier League brought along with it dozens of players which thrilled audiences on these shores and worldwide. And as part of that "liquid football", as Alan Partridge deemed it 20-odd years ago, the Mitre football was an instrumental piece of the jigsaw. Founded in Huddersfield 200 years ago, the sports brand's iconic footballs were involved in countless historic moments in English football, from the Premier League's first ever goal (scored by Sheffield United's Brian Deane in a 2-1 win over eventual champions Manchester United) to Paolo Di Canio's legendary scissor kick against Wimbledon. And now, Mitre have just revamped one of their flagship models as the official match ball of the 2017-18 EFL season, bringing together past, present and future. With its unique white, blue and red design, the Mitre Delta has long been a staple of English football pitches from professional to Sunday League level, and it's back with a brand new design and plenty of little tweaks to make it apt for the modern game. The ball is made up of 14 triangular-shaped panels stitched and bonded together by Mitre's trademark Hyperseam technology, while the surface has a rugged texture and embossed grooves. These features help make the ball more aerodynamic, making it easier to curve and float, as well as enabling goalkeepers to get a firmer grip when making saves. It's also quite soft compared to a traditional leather ball, and much lighter, so heading it - not to mention getting a poor connection with it - isn't something to be dreaded even when wet. And the way the Mitre Delta is stitched should also offer more protection from damage and splitting, ensuring it stays in one piece for longer. Launched in both white and yellow hi-vis, we've enjoyed playing this ball - aside from looking incredible, it's also a pleasure to use on the pitch, and you can tell the difference when playing with this compared to cheaper balls. The Delta (RRP £115), Delta Replica (RRP £12) and Delta Replica Mini (RRP £7) will be available at all key retailers from 14 June onwards. For more information please visit the official Mitre website.
When it comes to prospective signings being mentioned, or indeed players being officially recruited by Notts County, they tend to be a mixed bag in terms of what league they come from - some from the Premier League, some from the Football League, some from non-league. What kind of player would you be most happy to see linked with the Magpies? Please cast your vote and share your thoughts.
From the official Notts site: Notts County are hosting a special breakfast to celebrate the release of the 2017-18 EFL fixtures. The Magpies will learn their Sky Bet League Two schedule on Wednesday 21 June and Alan Hardy, Les Bradd, Mark Draper and other special guests will join supporters at Meadow Lane for the big reveal. The package, priced £10 + VAT per person, includes: - Breakfast sandwich and refreshments - The opportunity to put questions to the chairman and special guests - Networking opportunities - Exclusive discount on the club's brand-new hospitality and sponsorship packages To book, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0115 955 7241. Reckon you might come to this?
Sky Bet, sponsors of the EFL, have donated 72 signed shirts, one for each club in the Championship, League One and League Two, to the Great Britain Deaf football team to help raise the funding they need to get to the Deaflympics in Turkey in July. The team are currently £13,500 short of their target, which needs to be raised by April 16 if they are to attend the finals - they receive no funding from the government or UK Sport. The money will be used to support the team's preparations for the Deaflympics 2017, with training weekends and matches in the build-up to the competition, plus the cost involved in representing the male and female teams at the tournament. Look out for all of the items - and keep a look out for the Notts County shirt - at: @GB_DeafFootball To donate to the campaign outside of the auction, visit: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/TeamGBDF
Kevin Nolan has urged Premier League academy prospects to consider making switches to Football League teams, where they can get first-team action in challenging environments rather than remain in the "no-pressure" environment academies. The Notts County manager recruited a number of top-flight youngsters on loan in January, as Arsenal's Marc Bola, Hull City's Josh Clackstone and West Bromwich Albion's Tahvon Campbell switched to Meadow Lane. Bola has already spoken of how he is improving as a player on loan at Notts, and Nolan has echoed his sentiments, adding that the failure of Under-23 teams to get "anywhere near the final" of the Checkatrade Trophy is proof that their young players are not prepared for competitive action. Nolan told the Nottingham Post: "It's been shown in the Checkatrade Trophy that no Under-23s team has got anywhere near the final. When it's come down to it, they just haven't been prepared for it. "I am not knocking academy football, but there's no pressure. We've got Marc Bola who, if he makes a mistake in an academy game, then it's okay don't worry about it. But if he makes a mistake here it could mean the difference between three points or not. "He's relishing it and done really well. He's got a great head on his shoulders." Share your thoughts about this news story on Pride of Nottingham by signing up to the website, visiting the forum and joining in the chat with hundreds of fellow Notts County fans.