Question Will A.I. Ever Coach A Football Team?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

With the Advance on a almost daily Basis, could there ever be a Time when Football Clubs are Managed or Coached by

Artificial Intelligence?

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,487
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

AI is already being used to help with football tactics and I am sure it will grow to include to help with other aspects of the game in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/68617854.amp

• Like 1

Supporter+

I think that AI will be used more and more in all sports to assist coaches in getting the best out individuals and teams.

I also believe that AI will be used to assist and eventually replace on field officials when making decisions during a match. 

VAR will become completely controlled by AI when it is able, in the meantime, it could already be programmed to check for goal line decisions & off sides.

As far as having Robots on the field of play, I am sure we shall see them replace Referees & Assistant Referees and programmed in a way that we won't be seeing any Refereeing mistakes again.

Well, you would have thought that, but clubs, Managers, & fans never agree on Ref's decisions anyway so the moaning and groaning will continue. That is the essence of our game anyway that makes football unique.

As far as Robot players are concerned, I wouldn't like to see that happen, 22 perfect players on the field at the same level of skill, fitness & longevity wouldn't be an exciting spectacle.

Then you would get those who would make the accusation that some Robots were not programmed perfectly but programmed to be ineffectual.

Robot goalkeepers would be so perfect that a goal couldn't be scored. I think Robot players no matter how advanced they were wouldn't work as a spectacle.

Humans, with all they frailties, will always be much more entertaining to watch.

• Like 2

In all honesty will there ever be a day when Humanoid Robot's actually take over from real Human Players ? Could Artificial Life forms out think and out play Human opposition?  At the moment this seems to be in the realms of Science Fiction, but maybe one day. Already Robotic Engineers have built Robots which can help in Factories, around the home and even in combat. There are many types of Humanoid Robot's already built who can perform certain tasks to view on You tube and who's to say how long will it be before Robotics enters the World of Sport ? Who knows your Great (or Great Great Grandkids) may be watching a Robotic Team of Magpie players down the Lane on a Saturday. Just Imagine a Android likeness of Macca playing along side an Android Les Brad in attack. While a Killer Kilcline  and a Michael Doyle Robot would boost the Notts Defence.

The only real expense a Club would have would be up dating it's Soft Ware. No injuries, No Medical Bills, No special diets. No Player fatigue No Subs just a Small Squad of maybe 15 Androids, a First team 11 and 4 Robots on Standby in case of any Damages or Power Failures in the First 11 during a Match. All the Android Players would be programmed with all match tactics. Could it happen ? Who knows? But Don't Discount it.

• Like 2

Supporter+

At the end of the day, having artificial intelligence, such as fully automated Robots playing sport without emotion, motivation, passion, or without the ability to have a relationship with the fans, or without the ability to celebrate a goal or feel sad when they lose wouldn't be entertaining at all.

AI should only be there to help and assist, the human race, not to be used to replace the human race or to attempt to entertain the human race.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Robbie

Agreed with what you say regarding emotionless and relationship with the Fans and the Rest of your points.  But if Android players make the Powers that be Money then you can Guarantee, pretty much like top Premier League Clubs nowadays, Fans feelings will Count for Nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1