Scouting Dossier : Aaron Donnelly

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

He's too young and has no League 1 or League 2 experience.

Notts already have a young player in Macari.

Notts need to go for players that have plenty of experience at League 1 or League 2 level, who are tall, strong, physical and can tough it out with the best 

Enough of the very young up and coming. We need seasoned players in our defence that will get us automatic promotion or at least into the playoffs next season.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Nah it wouldn't work What with Aaron Nemane and Aaron Donnelly in the side because listening to that little Prairie Dog calling Aaron Aaron Aaron Aaron, it would drive you Bloody Crazy.

Hold on it's not Aaron it's Dan. Dan Dan Dan.

• Haha 1

• Content Count:  8,985
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Robbie "He's too young and has no League 1 or League 2 experience."

He has played for Port Vale in EFL1, so ticks that box ✅

Supporter+

@Piethagoram

20 games is not what I call real experience and the guy is too young. Notts need real experience, I'm talking 150 games plus or even more experience, middle to late 20s would be better. Enough with the up and coming youngsters. 

We need some players to come in and do a job for us in defence this time. We need hard, physical beasts of defenders, who can compete and dish it out if necessary.

• Like 1

Sorry @Robbie Look at Stockport's Ethan Pye, aged 20, promoted this season... 

We need ball winners in the air, good feet and pace... 

https://www.stockportcounty.com/squad/ethan-pye/

@Piethagoram

But look at the players along side him Todd Kane 30, Lewis Cass 24, Kyle Kwoyle 27 Ibou  Touray 29 Ryan Rydel 23 Fraser Horsfall 27.  A mixture of youth and Experience and a top class Manager in Dave Challinor. That's what Notts need.  @Robbie as said the Magpies need Blood and Guts Defenders who won't be Intimidated by the Opposition experienced players in the 25- 28 year range defenders who can push on to take Notts to the next level. I'm expecting big things from young Lewis Macari next season and if Notts want a young defender why not look at the Magpies youth academy and see if any of those youngsters are showing promise.

• Love 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Mahovo, coming through  the academy is a good example, can play at left back or centre back.

He's on the cusp of the first team. 

• Like 2

@Robbie

Exactly Lucien Mahovo who I believe as been on the Notts bench a couple of times why not give the Lad a run out? But more than likely the following will happen Notts will bring in some youngster from another Club on loan and Lucien will be farmed out on loan to play "Men's Football" why can't he learn his trade playing for Notts? An Experienced defender could take young Mahovo under his wing teach him how to be a defender what's expected of him and how to cope with stepping up into the First team. Will it happen? More than likely Not he'll be sent out on loan to different teams until his contract comes to an end then he'll be  let Go.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Unfortunately this may well happen.

I believe Sanderson & Mahovo are ready to become squad players at least and because of their age they wouldn't be counted in the 22.

It's alright having game time for a 7th, 8th or 9th level club, but there is no substitute for playing League 2 football for these youngsters.

If they are good enough, get them on the bench and use them so they can get experience.

• Like 2

I wonder @Robbie if the situation regarding Notts young talent will be touched upon in the Fans Forum tonight? I'm Not holding out much hope. I myself wont be watching it on You Tube because I think it will be pointless much like the Magpie Circle end of season review, and there Nothing's off the Table debacle.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

We know that the forum will be staged managed as these types of forums are, however I hope that we get some fresh questions answered including about the Academy.

The Academy is an important part of the Club & it had a great reputation in the past of producing players who became icons at the club, and went on to great success elsewhere.

I would like to hear the Club's thoughts about how it sees the academy long term.

I'd like to hear a question about loaning players in and out of the club and will that still be an important way for the club to do it's business.

I'd like there to be a question about how they intend to restore the capacity of the ground back to full capacity.

And I would also want to explore again how much say the Head Coach has regarding recruitment.

I'll probably listen to it a little while.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

On the Magpie Circle I think they said the Head Coach ahs a lot of say in recruitment.  You can find it on Youtube, but it seems a partnership - coach says this is the philosophy and I need these players to deliver it.  The recruitment team go out and say we have found x, y and z that fit your requirements and then they agree which ones to go after'.  I think that the coach can also say 'can you look at a, b, c as I think that they would fit into the team'.  It was quite interesting and worth a listen (and you may interpret it differently).

• Like 1

Good questions @Robbie how many do you reckon will be answered? Remembering the last Forum most of the time was spent listening to Luke Williams telling Fans why Notts Took Short Corners.

@Ohh Tommy Johnson personally I don't think the Head Coach does get as to much of a Big Say about Recruiting Players as Richard Montague stated. I still remember a Luke Williams interview when he was asked if he had any say, in which Players were coming to Notts, he seemed quite surprised at the Question then awkwardly answered that he did have a say. That's the Problem nowadays the Head Coach doesn't have the same sort of input in Club matters that the old type of Manager used to have. I have Noticed that who ever succeeds Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool will be known as the Head Coach unlike Klopp who was the Clubs Manager.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man we will soon know. We may know a little bit more, but not a lot. Although it may be different with Stuart being there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

personally I don't think the Head Coach does get as to much of a Big Say about Recruiting Players as Richard Montague stated. I still remember a Luke Williams interview when he was asked if he had any say, in which Players were coming to Notts, he seemed quite surprised at the Question then awkwardly answered that he did have a say.

@Wheelbarrow repair man I think LW did have a say ... Baldwin and Randall were his former players

17 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Good questions @Robbie how many do you reckon will be answered? Remembering the last Forum most of the time was spent listening to Luke Williams telling Fans why Notts Took Short Corners.

@Ohh Tommy Johnson personally I don't think the Head Coach does get as to much of a Big Say about Recruiting Players as Richard Montague stated. I still remember a Luke Williams interview when he was asked if he had any say, in which Players were coming to Notts, he seemed quite surprised at the Question then awkwardly answered that he did have a say. That's the Problem nowadays the Head Coach doesn't have the same sort of input in Club matters that the old type of Manager used to have. I have Noticed that who ever succeeds Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool will be known as the Head Coach unlike Klopp who was the Clubs Manager.

I guess if you can't believe those involved in the process explaining how it works, then you can't form any opinion on the topic. 

Personally, I can't see how it could work without any input from the Head Coach.  I am sure it works in a much more similar way to how recruitment in any business works these days - it is a team effort.  Where I work, the Hiring Manager makes a case for a new position, then they set out the job description, characteristics of the type of person they want and send the HR department who go out to find candidates.  Then they review the CVs and put forward a long list to the Hiring Manager, who makes the short list, and then the HR and hiring manager interview.  The final decision is the Hiring Manager's as they are the one who has to work with the person.  What RM described isn't a million miles from that so I see no reason to disbelieve him. that the Head Coach is intimately involved in the process.  What our way does provide is continuity, avoids a rebuild each time we change managers and allows us to build continuously over time.  

Notts are a modern club with modern ideas and this is one of them. The days of managers getting their mates in are gone.  That doesn't mean the Head Coach can't recommend players, but they are not going to be recruited unless they meet the job description. Long may it continue.

• Like 1

@Ohh Tommy Johnson

And yet both Macca was signed before Luke Williams became Head Coach and AJ was signed before Stuart Maynard was given the Head Coach job, or just after so SM wouldn't have had any say in the matter because the Jatta signing would have been in progress days or weeks before.

I didn't say I didn't Believe  those involved. I Stated I Didn't think the Head Coach had as much of a Big Say in Recruitment as Richard Montague said. That is the Impression I get and that is my Opinion whether it's right or wrong. And the last time I looked the PON site was set up ask Fans for their  Opinions on certain topics at Notts County. Mine is just one of them.

Finally the days of Managers getting their mates in is gone. Yet Luke Williams and Stuart Maynard brought in their Own Coaching Staff who were/are their mates.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man @Ohh Tommy Johnson

We all have our own opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, that's why opinion brings debate, and debate is good because decisions are made on different opinions.

At Notts there will be different opinions on the Notts board & the coaching team will have different opinions too, especially about players.

We do know that the coaches, the recruiters & the board will have their opinions on which players to sign, but the final say will be down to the Reedtz brothers. They have the cash.

@Wheelbarrow repair man where did I say you weren't entitled to an opinion? Of course you are... even if it is wrong (joking 😉).

You make a good point re Scott, Macca and Jatta. They were all signed when we had no Head Coach and I would like to know the reasons for that and find out if that is closer to the way we operate, or if it was a case of needs must. As they have all proved to be good signings I don't think it is great evidence that the system doesn't work though, at least for strikers. 

I don't think LW and SM brought in their own coaching staff, they came in as heads of Management Teams which were appointed as a group rather than as several individual appointments (certainly SM did).  Now they may have been able to say 'I'm not coming unless these come with me', but I doubt either of them were in such a strong negotiating position.  That said, I wouldn't have been surprised if LW had left his team here, if we had just employed SM on his own.   The owners are all about stability and sustainable growth (not in the financial sense, but in the sense of avoiding the house of cards scenario), and so it makes sense to recruit a coaching team that works well together rather than to try and get a group of individuals, especially mid season.  I think they do what keeps things on an as even keel as they can. 

At the end of the day we will never know the true facts behind our recruitment system, but I would say over the time the brothers have been in charge we have had far more success than failure, Defenders are an issue, but that is possibly more to do with not identifying the right data or requirements for a L2 defender rather than incompetence or a failure of the whole system. I suspect our defensive needs now are very different to what we needed in the NL, and we miscalculated what attributes we needed and how well our existing defenders would cope.  Maybe we found last season too easy and we didn't appreciate the step up in level?  Who knows, I certainly don't. 

18 minutes ago, Robbie said:

@Wheelbarrow repair man @Ohh Tommy Johnson

We all have our own opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, that's why opinion brings debate, and debate is good because decisions are made on different opinions.

At Notts there will be different opinions on the Notts board & the coaching team will have different opinions too, especially about players.

We do know that the coaches, the recruiters & the board will have their opinions on which players to sign, but the final say will be down to the Reedtz brothers. They have the cash.

That last sentence is interesting... I think they 'control the cash' as I there seems to be much more available than their personal wealth would indicate.  They head up a consortium don't they... do we know who is in the consortium? I don't think we do, but I suspect there are some seriously wealthy people there. I would love to know, but if we did, we may find the prices we pay being inflated somewhat!!

• Like 1

@Ohh Tommy Johnson

Perhaps I misunderstood 

I guess if you can't believe those involved in the process explaining how it works, Then You Can't Form Any Opinion On The Topic.

Didn't Stuart Maynard bring two brothers with him from Wealdstone who were part of his Coaching Staff? And the people who worked with Luke Williams who came with him to the Lane then went with him to Swansea. People they know and are mates of the Head Coach. There are coaches appointed by the Brothers still at the Lane ie the Goalkeeping coach and Academy Coach but both LW and SM have brought in people they've worked with and Trust.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man I think you brought up an important point.

The attention was all about Luke Williams & Stuart Maynard as the Head Coaches when they were recruited, but is it really the case that the club looked at the whole Coaching team under those Head Coaches too before setting them on?

So in essence, was it a package deal in both cases, Head Coach & his team?

If that's the case, it may explain why DOB might not have been considered for a Coaching role within the Club.

So my question would be, who takes over temporary charge if Maynard and his team were to leave early next season due to poor results?

Can't immediately think of anyone now.

• Like 1