The Home Internationals

With topics on the PON website such has the Best and Worse England manager, the G.O.AT Manager the Home Internationals have come up. Remember them ?

I certainly do the clashes between the Auld Enemies England and Scotland, plus Wales and Northern Ireland and memories that those matches provoke, such as (I believe and correct me if I'm wrong) Scotland being the First Team to beat England after their World Cup Victory 3-2 . The Goal George Best scored against England by literally kicking the ball out of Gordon Banks Hands.

So my Fellow PON Members let's have your memories. But more Important Would You Like To See The Home Internationals returned to the Football Calendar ?

• Like 2

Supporter+

I went to the England Scotland match with my Uncle and Cousin in June 1977. 

England lost 1:2 to Scotland that day. 90% of the stadium was full of Scotland fans. 

This match was famous for the Scots fans invading the pitch and breaking the crossbars. We didn't see that happen because we left as soon as the match ended.

At that time there wasn't any segregation of sorts so we had Scots fans all around us.

I must say though it was a friendly atmosphere during the game, until the end of course.

The home internationals were big in their day, but would I bring them back, probably not.

The FA would reject to it for a start and also reject the home internationals coming back on behalf of the Premier League too.

• Like 2

this is a difficult one because i am failing to recall a memory, i have only seen england on tv but i do want to watch them live at some point. my focus mainly is on notts. i would be interested in seeing a competitive game at wembley with england taking on scotland or even ireland.

i am less bothered about germany myself.

• Like 2

@Robbie  & @liampie. I think the atmosphere at an England vs Scotland Match live at either Wembley or Hampden Park would be Electric and I for one would like to see the Home Internationals Return, the thing is would they generate enough Interest and of course money  for the F.A. and the Premier League, who I assume would take a large percentage  of any T.V. Money.

Regarding memories there is a video on You Tube in which Scotland got beat 5-1 by the 3 Lions. The Scottish Keeper's name was Alan Kennedy and after the match a Scottish Fan said They Shot The Wrong Kennedy. Now That's Harsh. Funny But Harsh.

Do you also remember the School Boys International Matches which used to feature fairly regular on T.V back in the 60's 70's ? There you could see the up and coming talent of School Boys ( who were attached to Professional Clubs). Some of those games were amazing because the talent on show played with their own flair and talent, before it was knocked out of them when (and if ) they turned Professional. Which could be the subject of another topic.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

If the Football associations of the four Countries agreed to reinstate the home internationals of course I would watch them, so would any other home football fan.

For the Scotland game they would fill Wembley, but if they did reinstate the Scottish & England teams would probably be from the B or C squads.

I think doing it that way would be probably the only way the English and Scottish FAs would agree to their reinstatement.

The Football calendar is far too congested nowadays to what it was when the Home internationals reigned supreme.

• Like 1

@Robbie

Yes you're probably right, however I think the  case for their reinstatement  is they would be more meaningful than all these second rate so called Friendlies, that the 3 Lions play. I mean I don't know about you but I would sooner watch an England vs Scotland Match than England vs Iceland or England vs Norway or Luxembourg Match. I think Matches against  a fellow UK country would Generate More Interest than against some Mediocre European Side.

• Like 1

Supporter+

You make as good point there @Wheelbarrow repair man just a matter of convincing the home FAs. I suspect that the friendlies are more than just friendlies.

I suspect lots of footballing politics between the different Countries FAs are going off like smaller FAs getting a slice of the match revenue and also publicity for their Country.

There is always an angle involved somewhere to be seen in football politics.

• Like 1