Inverted Wingbacks v Standard Wingbacks

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,442
  • Days Won:  195
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

There's been lots of talk about Stuart Maynard using Inverted Wingbacks this season, but what does the term actually mean?

"The main difference between an inverted wingback & a standard wingback is that an inverted wingback drifts inside to create space & support the attack, while a standard wingback provides width to the attack":  

Inverted wingback

"Drifts inside from the flank or a central position to support the attack. They can switch between attacking, defending, & supporting duties depending on the team's mentality".  

Standard wingback

"Usually the widest player on the field, their role is to stretch the pitch & provide width for the team. They also look to get into advanced positions to cross the ball into the penalty area".  

Source Google 

This tactic can be used by quite easily by changing either to one shape or the other during a game, or by substitutions.

Stuart has been utilising this tactic this season. It does help to keep the opposition guessing, but I think since Jodi has been injured he has utilised it much more.

We saw this tactic to good effect against Barrow when Tsaroulla was making runs from the back then cutting inside to either shoot or pass.

I think this will be a tactic that Stuart will use quite a lot this season. It will remain to be seen how successful the tactic is, but it is certainly worth a try.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,328
  • Days Won:  17

Now I know You Young 'Un's' Will Think I'm Daft. But Once Upon A Time, a Football Team had Players called a Center Half, a Left Half and a Right Half and these Players used help out the Defense, in Particular the Center Half who used to Mark and try and Keep the Opposing Center Forward from Getting the Ball and Scoring a Goal Against his team. the other Left Half and Right Half would help out the Defense and along with a Left and a Right Full Back would form the Defensive unit along with the Goalkeeper.

Now once a member of the Defense got the ball, he would sometimes Kick the Ball straight back up the Pitch ( I Know Crazy Isn't It) while another time he would Pass the Ball to a Player called a Winger, who would take the ball along the side of the Pitch skipping past the Opponents Defenders, then he would do what was called Center the Ball he'd kick the ball High across the Penalty Box so His Team's Center Forward would Jump the Highest and Score with a Header. Other times the Winger would pass the ball to either the Inside Right or Inside Left (depending on which side of the Pitch the Winger was on) who would then have a Shot at Goal, sometimes from a Great Distance and sometimes the Winger would also have a Shot at Goal, once they were on the Edge of the Penalty Box and they would either Score a Goal or the Goal keeper would make a Save, or a Defender would get in the way and the Attackers (for that is what they were Called) shot and the Ball would hit the Defender on some part of his Body and the Ball would Bounce away from the Goal or might be Deflected into the Goal after it had Hit the Defender. So that meant the Attackers usually Scored the Goals while the Defenders stopped Attackers from scoring by tackling them, each player had a Job to do and each player did it the Attackers attacked the Goal and tried to Score while the Defenders, defended the Ball and tried to Stop the opposition scoring in their Goal. And just like Nowadays the Team who put the Ball into the Net more than the other Team were Declared the Winners, after exactly 90 minutes of Football. Not 90+4 or 90+6 or even 90+9 Minutes.  That's Just 45 minutes in Each Half, then the Game came to an End.

And that's the Truth. Honest. And No I've Not Had A Bang On The Head, it Happened just Like That.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,442
  • Days Won:  195
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

When I started watching football there was no such thing as a "midfielder" The term "midfielder" began to be used especially after the early 1970s, when the term "half-back" fell out of use.

Before then, the goalkeeper would, 99% of the time, punt the ball as far as he could, & the same with a goal kick. 

It was after then that the continental influence took hold as far as I can see.

But getting back onto topic, do PON members think that the inverted wingback tactic is a good tactic for Notts to use especially with Jodi being out till the new year?

Interestingly, Gareth Southgate used a similar Inverted Wingback tactic  earlier this year in the European Championship.

• Confused 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,120
  • Days Won:  54

For the inverted wingbacks I’ll say it’s not been a disaster because Tsaroulla had a good game against Barrow and likewise Gordon against Chesterfield, but it’s not exactly been a revelation either. There have been games where they have struggled too. Personally, I’m still not too sure, I think Jodi is a bit of an exception as his skill level far exceeds our other wide players and he spent his whole career playing as a right-sided attacker before he came to us.

I just can’t get past how they have to do so much more with their weaker foot at times, especially crossing. It's a lot harder to try and dribble down the wing using your weaker foot too. Being able to come inside and shoot is good, and I get that makes sense when you play inverted wingers/inside forwards but is the main role of a wingback to try and score?

• Like 1