Words Words And More Words.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  17

The Susie Dent Word of the Day Topic got me thinking about an whole Manner of Words and Stuff and I thought I'd add to them, and a for lot of these words the Americans are to Blame for butchering the English Language . Things can get very confusing.

I mean who writes a best Selling Book and titles it Fanny By Gaslight? What sort of Mental Images does that Conjure Up?

Of course a Fanny to an American is a Backside to a Brit.  She's got a Nice Fanny, You think How does he know? They only met a couple of Minutes ago.

Then  there's the English Guy who gets his wallet Stolen while in America. He reports it to the Police Hey somebody's Nicked Me Wallet. Somebody has taken a knife and cut notches into your wallet?

Losing your Cherry means something totally different to a Yank. There's an  English Lass who buys a big piece of Cake with a Cherry on the Top. Unfortunately as she takes a bite the Cherry Fails off and a Passing Dog eats it up. Oh No says the English Girl. What's a matter? asks her American Friend. I've just lost my Cherry to that Dog. ( for those who don't know, losing one's Cherry to an American means losing one's Virginity)

Mind you the Aussies are Just as Bad. The Best selling Sticky Tape in Australia is a Brand Called Durex. That's right we have Sellotape they have Durex. Can you imagine some  unknowing Big Aussie walking into W.H. Smiths and saying G'Day a Roll of Durex there, Giant Size. Talk about Do It Yourself.

Now my Fellow PON Members It's Your Turn what words or sayings do you know that could be taken the wrong way and are also Amusing.?

• Haha 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

A rubber in English English is a pencil eraser.

In American English it is a Condom 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

When I was much younger I smoked cigarettes. At work in the lace market ,because of fire risk, there were designated areas where smoking was allowed.(in the days before smoking was restricted) One day we were visited by an American customer on his annual  buying visit to Europe. I'd met the American several times previously and we got on well as he seemed fascinated by my Broad Derbyshire accent. Anyway I returned from having a cigarette and apologised for not being available, telling our visitor 'I've just had a f a g' Well, you should have seen the expression on the New Yorker's face .I didn't know at the time but a f a g to an American is short for  'f a gg o t' or gay person.

• Haha 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

If an English person is looking for an American's apartment on the first floor they could be looking a long time because a First floor to an American is the ground floor.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  17

Another American word is Zit Which means Spot. So when playing Soccer (as they call it) A Foul in the Penalty area will result in the Ball being placed on the Penalty Zit. Then of course you can't beat a Big bowl of Custard covered a Large Piece of Zitted Dick.

An Englishman who went to live in the States got himself a Personalized Car License Plate. Which had the word BOLOX on it. When asked by an American what the word meant, he was told it was English slang for Spot. Well the American arrives in England, goes to Boots the Chemists and says Excuse Me But Do You Have Anything For These BOLOX I Have On The Back Of My Neck?

• Haha 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i always thought a realtor sounded more like someone who sold items, not act as an estate agent.