Youth team

shepshedpie

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  1

Notts County's youth team travelled this morning to the interestingly named Sun Hat Villas and Resorts Stadium - or the home of Lincoln United FC to you and me. I always enjoy the trips to watch the youth team at non-league grounds rather than a roped off field at an academy as there are usually luxurious facilities such as seats and sometimes even a half-time cup of tea. But I digress.

With a month of inactivity the young 'Pies have fallen from a position 'closing in on the top spot' to exactly mid-table so a run of good results is now required.

The good news, team wise, was the return of Colby Bishop to the team line-up after a spell in the first team squad.

The two sides were evenly matched and half-time was reached without any score, the closest either side came was when the Notts no.11 (Yohann?) slammed a shot from distance against the crossbar on 40 minutes.

The second half was much of the same with both sets of defenders dominating the game. The Notts team were working well together but couldn't create the opening they needed. The closest they came was a Colby Bishop shot which beat the 'keeper but was cleared off the line by a Lincoln defender. In the final couple of minutes of the game, Jack McMillan, on as a second half substitute, hit a powerful shot into the top corner to win the game and signal the start of joyous celebrations amongst the young Magpies.

This afternoon I watched Loughborough Dynamo FC v Rainworth Miners Welfare FC. I only mention this because anyone who has watched the Notts youth team over the last couple of seasons will recognise the names, Elliot Brown, Gino Kelleher, Glodie Bange and Romello Nangle - all currently members of the Rainworth squad.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yoann the new lad? Centre Back? I've heard many good things about him. Hopefully the young magpies can continue to fly high. Cheers :)

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Joe,

No, this lad played number eleven and was on the left side of midfield - I don't think I have seen him before - think one of the lads called him Yohann - but not sure.

The team do have an excellent pair of centre-backs at the moment, Kenan Layton (1st year) and Rhys Myers (2nd year) - both playing consistently well in most games - so it may be one of those two that you have heard of.

They had a new keeper too - don't know his name yet - but looked young so maybe drafted in from the under 16s

In fact Notts finished the game with, I think, seven first year players on the pitch so clearly Paul Hart and Mick Halsall already have one eye on the team for next season.

Cheers

Shepshedpie

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Very promising, I don't know much about Rhys Myers but I have heard a lot about Kanan Layton. I think the keeper's already featured for the young pies when Monty Parkes wasn't able to play (I don't think it was due to injury). Yet I recall it being an away game and against a top side's youth team, I've watched the training sessions a few times and if it's the lad I think it is, he looks very promising and with a CB pair like you mentioned he will only improve.

Halsall and Hart are doing a very good job progressing the youngsters from the academy, perhaps 4-8 years time we will start to see more in our first team ranks.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

lets hope they can continue and get back up the league. really pleased they won, thanks.

Archived