Rodwell Article On Bbc Site

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Chris Kiwomya not only to blame - Notts County CEO

<!--url{0}--> Notts County chief executive Jim Rodwell admits he must share the blame for the Magpies' place at the bottom of League One under Chris Kiwomya.

Kiwomya, 43, was sacked as manager following Saturday's defeat by Preston.

The Meadow Lane club is searching for their seventh manager since February 2010, when Rodwell took over as CEO.

"I need to look at myself - I'm as responsible as anyone else for appointing the manager," Rodwell told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"The manager becomes the fall guy in these circumstances, but it's not all down to him.

"We all have to accept responsibility - the board of directors and players. We all need look at ourselves and ask what we could have done better.

"There is a lot of soul searching that needs to go on."

Rodwell said former Ipswich Town, Arsenal and Queens Park Rangers striker Kiwomya was the victim of a range of issues affecting the club since he took over from Keith Curle in February.

"I don't think he got us to the bottom of the league," Rodwell said.

"We probably had too many players out of form at one time and the squad is low on confidence.

"There was a culmination of factors that created the perfect storm."

Rodwell insists their would be no rush to appoint Kiwomya's successor, with former Nottingham Forest and England midfielder Steve Hodge put in temporary charge.

Steve Cotterill has been linked with a return to Meadow Lane, while former Wolves and Doncaster manager Dean Saunders and Danny Wilson, the ex-Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday boss, are also among the favourites to succeed Kiwomya.

"No decision is imminent," Rodwell said.

"My phone has been absolutely red hot with text and voice messages.

"It is still a very attractive club to come to for lots of managers - good manger, experienced managers, those who want an opportunity in the game.

"My goodness, we need to find someone that is going to take us forward - that is a fact."

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I heard this interview on the radio and a lot of what he said was true, the board and the CEO should shoulder some if not all of the blame, after all it was their decision to appoint Kiwomya who was an untried, inexperienced manager at this level.

He also said his phone was ringing within minutes of the announcement going out, he said they expected to get around 200 applicants which would be whittled down to around 40 serious contenders, which they will then sit down and work through. He said that all the staff and players at the club would be having a big "clear the air" meeting this morning where the players would be asked their opinions and then the job of sifting through the applicants would begin but nothing would happen in the short term.

In my opinion this is a BIG BIG decision and it needs to be the right one otherwise we will be heading for the basement division again. We've got a lot of points to catch up on, whoever comes in has got a really big job to do but it can be done.

It's not something we can just sit on though, I also don't exactly buy this 'people want the job, my phones been busy'.

I hope we have a manager before or least after Saturday's game. I would say it might be handed to hold off until we play at home, allow a steady take-over in terms on manager but the 16th is too long. I'd like us to take the F.A Cup seriously and pocket some money! Just need to make sure they hire someone who doesn't talk a good game but clearly shows that they know what needs to doing and able to show it.

There's a video of the actual interview available here.

It's really time to get the fans back on board - If we don't start to continue to build these bridges, the club will only end up much smaller and the die hard fan base which it currently as will perhaps dwindle too.

Archived