Manager's interview : Notts v Altrincham ( F A Trophy)

Piethagoram

Supporter+

I might be in the minority but I'd like to win the FA Trophy. A trip to Wembley after what looks like another COVID disrupted Winter would be a nice reward. 

Supporter+
5 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Promotion has to be the first priority @Dripsey3

Absolutely but we can do both I feel. We should have got the final last year, I round like to rectify that this season!

During COVID with a lack of attendance, I felt that it had more importance, but I have since reverted to my "not bothered" approach to this cup. It's a nothingness competition that only shows how far we as a club as fallen.

Would it be nice to win it? Sure, but again we'll be tied forever to a competition which means nothing in terms of tradition or reputation. 

What about a trip to Wembley? Great for the fans and club, but unless naturals go - the attendance will be quite poor for a stadium of that size. Good for those who haven't been to Wembley, or to the new stadium, but I'd rather go to the playoff final.

The football league should be our priority, we should use this to give fringe players a chance with regular starting players.

Even the BBC doesn't cover the competition, just the result - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/notts-county/scores-fixtures/2021-12?filter=results 

If Tiernan Brookss isn't out on loan, why didn't we give him some game time?

Since Tuesday's match is off, I can definitely see the logic behind naming a stronger team to keep them in the flow. I wouldn't mind us naming a weaker team for the next round though - this could bring the added benefit of allowing some from the second string to push for a place in the first team.

I don't mind the FA Trophy at all - it's certainly a more serious competition than whatever the Checkatrade Trophy is called nowadays. But the novelty has worn off for me. That's partly due to the fact that we're still in the running for the automatic promotion spot, whereas that ship had already sailed in both of the last two seasons.

Archived