The World Cup in Qatar

This summer we would usually be looking forward to the World Cup, but we'll have to wait until November due to FIFA's decision to award it to the footballing hotbed that is Qatar.

As everyone surely knows by now, the regime in Qatar isn't the most savoury one; an army of foreign workers has been called in to build the necessary infrastructure and the construction of the stadiums has come at a tremendous human cost. Like the 1978 tournament, the 2022 World Cup will be an example of sportswashing - a dictatorship using sports to boost its reputation and distract attention away from human rights abuses.

This begs the question of how football fans here should react (it would have been nice if UEFA or the national FAs had done something, but that ship has sailed). The most obvious would be a boycott, but given the sheer pulling power of the World Cup that could be doomed to failure. Otherwise, the tournament could be used to shine a very bright light on the Qatari regime and to make the attempted sportswashing of the regime's reputation blow up in its face. I'm not sure exactly what form that could take though.

It might all sound very political, but this tournament is mired in politics anyway now. Personally I'm not sure I can stomach watching it, but I know many more will. Thoughts?

• Love 1

Money,money,money !!!!!

• Like 1

Thinking outside the box, if the EU past a directive to say all sporting organisations whose competitions are held in EU countries, need FULL transparency of their financial accounts ( and history thereof). Would UEFA and FIFA then comply?  I would doubt it. A new global football organisation could be set up, fully transparent, maybe set in Brussels or London. Football relies on advertising revenues and am sure the big conglomerates would be willing to ditch FIFA and UEFA for more transparency?

• Love 1

I just think it is terrible that nobody has done anything about all the deaths which have occurred since Qatar won the bid to host the World Cup.

I might be mistaken, but the Olympics don't award the hosting rights to nations whom don't have the infrastructure in place. If I am mistaken, my point is that the infrastructure must be in place BEFORE and, not something in hindsight. What happens if a bid wins, then all the promises are bodged through poor building or simply doesn't happen due to the lack of funds/interest to fulfil the plans?

I'm not remotely interested in the World Cup in Qatar.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 11:36, Piethagoram said:

Thinking outside the box, if the EU past a directive to say all sporting organisations whose competitions are held in EU countries, need FULL transparency of their financial accounts ( and history thereof).

There's no way the EU would ever pass a law like that, as you would need 27 countries to effectively rule out holding a UEFA or FIFA tournament ever again (those organisations aren't based in Switzerland for nothing). Given the EU's lack of a response to the European Super League plans (aside from a non-binding resolution by parliament), I can hardly see it taking on FIFA and UEFA. And the national FAs in Asia and Africa aren't going to jettison FIFA in favour of a Europe-centric organisation either. If anything, the EU could have some clout over UEFA, should it choose to use it.

What we SHOULD have is transparent, democratic organisations running international football, but with the national FAs being so invested in the gravy train it's difficult to see how we get there.

Going back to Qatar, I'm minded to just not watch it, but that's hardly going to change anything. Surely there's something more creative we as fans could be doing?

Yeah I’m really going to struggle to get any enjoyment out this competition and I don’t think I’ll be watching it. In some ways it’s shame it coincides with England being good again but you can’t just forget how corrupt it is and how many workers lost their lives.

I'm amazed how many companies are willing to be associated with it for the sponsorship and advertising. This might have potentially caused some issues but from what I gather the likes of McDonalds and Budweiser are signed up. And David Beckham I’ve no idea who advises him (someone greedy) suggested he should be an ambassador for this tournament, it’s embarrassing and thoughtless.

As what for fans could though, that is a good question. I’m sure/hope as the World cup gets closer it’ll be make the news for the wrong reason and some organisation will do something that can be beneficial and allow the protesting voices to be heard. I’ll be amazed if there aren’t already groups organising protests and I’ll be amazed if all the games run smoothly, I’m sure they’ll be some sort of disruption.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 1

Supporter+

How Qatar won the right to hold the World Cup is mind boggling. I think we all know how they won, ching ching, you know what I mean!

I won't be watching the WC for the first time in my life. The treatment of workers who built the stadium, the on going persecution of the LGBTQ community etc etc. I love the WC, but peoples rights come first. We are all equal in my eyes. 

• Like 2

I have no interest in it, not at all.

They're counting on fans to travel and if anyone is bothered about the deaths involved, along with the tournament being bought by Qatar. Supporters shouldn't travel, I don't see it happening. I wonder if politics will make its way into the tournament, will Qatar be favoured by officials? The excitement as been spoiled and I can imagine England would do well due to some England supporters not being as bothered.

I am amazed that after all the knee taking and everything that goes with it that we are even going to compete. Surely what happens over there is as bad, if not worse than what happens here, and I'm not for one minute suggesting there is no discrimination or racism, of course there is , we have all heard/ seen it, but I just wonder how footballers who have been , quite rightly very quick to criticise fans and organisations,  can then happily go and play a tournament in a country with a very questionable human rights record. I would have more respect for their viewpoint if they pulled out and made a very significant point. Not expecting it to happen though, but I am certain that they will continue to criticise anyone in this country who may have a different opinion to one they hold. Double standards, if its wrong its wrong, has to be consistency. 

• Like 1

when i watch games, which probably wont be many i will do so thinking about the lives that have been lost.

and whilst the deaths should have been avoided, i think remembering this dark side of qatar is something we should all do. so many lifes effected by the decsion and work conditions. :( 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've been thinking about this again. I've become increasingly certain that I'm not going to watch it. I'm not under the illusion that it'll change anything (low TV ratings would be good, but my TV being off is unlikely to make any difference), I just can't reconcile myself with a winter World Cup held at such a massive human cost. I think it's important that football fans show FIFA that we won't just blindly go along with whatever they come up with.

If England reach the latter stages I might relent and watch it in my local pub. But right now I'm not sure if I can stomach even that. Thank goodness the proper football is continuing!

• Like 1

I agree, it feels like I’m not doing much by not watching as it’s on and with it being winter it’ll probably be the most viewed world cup too (in the UK). But I’m going to stick to my guns and not watch, just out of principal. And Notts are still ploughing on with the promotion push so I don’t feel like I’ll miss much.

I’m surprised at the general reaction though, a bit on the news about the LGBT issues, but it’s been pretty quiet considering. I genuinely thought we’d get a load of statements from presenters and commentators saying they’ve declined to cover it but they seem to be tripping over themselves to get there. Gary Neville got a good roasting the other week on HIGNFY. I don’t know how they can criticise the situation but justify taking part in it all. Money talks sadly and I guess you can put a price on disregarding the people who died through sheer exploitation. Shocking really, the sports-washing seems to be working…

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot less hype around it here @menzinho. Normally, you can barely watch a single TV advert without being bombarded with it, and the local media is full of talk about where the public screenings are going to be. This year there's nothing, apart from the usual Coca-Cola and Nivea adverts and some talk about the squads. It's all very muted and I think the number of people watching will be down substantially on a normal year. I hope so at least - FIFA seem to think that people will just lap up whatever they serve them, and they need to be proven wrong.

Supporter+

FIFA who say football is for all, give the WC to a country who have policies that discriminate against the LGBTQ community. If that's not hypocritical, I don't know what is. The West isn't perfect but we have made major progression in social rights over the past couple of decades. Discriminating on the grounds of sexuality is not acceptable in the age we live in. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

We have a WC prediction competition at work. Roughly 90% take part. This year it's around 40%. That's just a small indication of the feelings around this WC. 

This WC is making me Canada fan. I live in Canada for 10 years already and was never really interested in Canadian football (soccer). I knew how the team plays, watched few games in qualification, but anyway was surprised by their performance against Belgium. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

@Alex Canada deserved to win Belgium, they played incredibly well against one of the world's most overrated teams (at international level).

I think the occasion got to the nerves of some Canadian players, but boy did they put on a game.

PS. I went against avoiding it.@super_pie wanted me to watch England with him.
I held my own minutes of silence to the people who died building the stadiums etc 👍

Usually I support Ukraine, Sweden and Scotland at international level. But this time I have to watch Mexica as I have a lot of Mexicans at the work and they are really crazy about their team. They stop to work and go to lunch room to watch the games. 

Me too :))

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At the start of the tournament I said to @super_pie, that I felt Morocco would surprise people and make it out of their group stages. Jake thought Senegal and Cameroon would do well. I actually thought Ghana would do a lot better, but at this stage I'm rooting for Morocco.

I do think Messi will get his hands on the gold, France will most likely make the final, but I don't see fancy their chances in the final.