Cal Roberts to Aberdeen

Piethagoram

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

It's on the official site now. While he only had a year on his contract, and it's great for him that he secured himself a good move, it's not so good for us. 

If the reported fee of over 100k is true, we've just shot ourselves in the foot big time. That's really not a lot of money when you consider that it's players of this calibre who can make the difference between us being in  League Two or the Conference a year from now. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

It’s a gutting way to start the week. He's a great player, technically gifted and a massive threat for defensives at this level, in all honesty too good for this level. But with one year left on his contract if he's not going to re-sign like Woots I don't think taking the money is a bad move. I'd assume there'd be some clauses in there too, so if he does well and gets a move again we'll hopefully get some more money.

And since Ruben came in Cal’s effectively been sacrificed to accommodate him. His best position as an inside forward/inverted winger is one he’s barely played since the switch to 3-5-2. And judging by pre-season the formation looks to be in the mould of a 3-5-2.

Loved watching him and wish him all the best.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,792
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Totally agree @menzinho The really sad part in all of this, is that our defensive shortcomings had never been addressed..that would have helped gain us promotion with Cal, Woots etc still being with us ( hypothetically) 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

i dont think its a big issue, he came back strong last season but started slow after his injury return. i would rather give him the chance to go further in his career and pick up something for him, instead of allowing injuries or inconsistencies to hold him back. dont get me wrong i am gutted but i think it makes a lot more sense. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I didn't know until I read a DM on Twitter.

I think from the perspective of both parties, it makes sense. They're a club that could do well with a player like Cal Roberts, it will give him a chance to chase his career further - especially despite his injuries. No doubt we could've done with him, but the potential of risk of further issues and less sell-ability I do think it's the right choice. I understand why some fans would be disappointed, but I don't think Roberts deserves any negativity for making the move (I have seen some).

We have Aaron Nemane who can do a job for us, I know he wanted to start more this season.

Notts might also look to reinforce the squad a little further, although things on paper seem good. I wouldn't rush to replace Roberts especially with Luther Munakandafa potentially breaking into the first team.

Frank Vincent might also take this opportunity to return to his form we saw, whilst Roberts was out injured. Yes, two different positions, but I thought Vincent showed some promising stuff as an attacking outlet.

Best wishes to Cal Roberts.

Archived