"The Best" - Answers please 😊

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

So, I thought it would be interesting to see which players get named dropped within a discussion about "the best".

Name the following;

The best Notts County squad you have watched in person?

The best Notts County player you have ever watched in person?

The best Notts County legend you wished you had seen?

The best Notts County goalkeeper you have ever seen live? [bonus praise for naming a memory of said keeper within your answer].

The best Notts County defender in your lifetime?

The best skilled Notts County midfielder you have ever watched in person?

The best Notts County winger who would take on the opposition down the byline in person?

The best natural Notts County finisher?

The best player to be described as a true underdog during their spell at Notts?

The best worst player ever to grace a Notts County shirt?

The best goal from a Notts County player you have seen in person?

The best ex Notts County player you have seen in person? 

The best future Notts County player you have seen in person?

There's a reason for the amount of questions; if you can name them all - great! 👍🏻

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm torn between the 1998 squad due to the fact we achieved something with such a small squad/injuries and the 2008 squad that won League Two. I'll go with the latter due to sheer enjoyment. 

Danny Allsopp he was just quality on the ball.

Don Masson or Tommy Lawton; I'll go with The Don.

The best Notts County goalkeeper you have ever seen live? [bonus praise for naming a memory of said keeper within your answer].

I'll go with Steve Cherry, mostly due to the amount of time he spent at the club. I do recall seeing a double reaction save from him at one of my visits to Wembley. I think it was in the Anglo-Itilain Cup final at that time. Basically, he saved a shot and pushed the ball out wide - only for another shot to go low towards the opposite direction of his save. I recall it mostly due to his angry response to the relapse in our defending. You could see that winning meant something to him - it wasn't like Roy Carroll bit**ing, more like a fired up Steven Gerred.

Haydn Hollis just to p people off. 😂

Mike Edwards I would say, it's a safe punt though. Shall I switch to Jamie Turley? 🤣 [I actually rated JT during his time but for some reason not many did].

I'm not sure if I can say Andy Legg, even though I seem to recall him playing further forward. Otherwise, I would say Ruben Rodrigues who is a joy to watch when it works - largely frustrating still.

The best Notts County winger who would take on the opposition down the byline in person?

Lee Hughes not only for his finishing but his ability to read the game - Danny Allsop was amazing but a totally different striker.

Easily Curtis Thompson, I always liked him and thought he worked hard. Unfortunately, I think we never had a squad that could really see him flourish but considering how his careers has gone and where we are. I think it's safe to say we lost a gem and a true definition of an underdog. Also, I think Craig Westcarr was vastly unappreciated by a large portion of our fans but the main answer is easily Curtis Thompson.

I don't recall Guy Branston or Tom Williams, but I would say Richard Duffy.

How anyone rated him as a defender is beyond me, I spent most of my time trying to point out his flaws to people who praised him. By the time it caught on, we were already relegated, and he didn't give 💩. 💩 is how I describe and remember Beever Boy.

I recall Andy Legg scoring from a throw-in only to be disallowed. I think Devon White tried to claim he got a touch on it. That was something special to my young eyes, seeing a ball being thrown so far. Best, best goal is much harder to name, but I really can't name one. 😂

Alan Sheehan comes to mind, did Lee Hughes play against us with Port Vale? I seem to remember it, but I'm not sure.

Mark Stallard: When he played against Notts for Bradford, he was easily the best player on the pitch and I hated him for his celebrations against us. He made up for it by joining us though, to which he became one of my all-time favourite players.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

The best Notts County squad you have watched in person? the league two winning team, but this years squad is quite close.

The best Notts County player you have ever watched in person? jack grealish when he was on loan.

The best Notts County legend you wished you had seen? mick vinter because of the things i have heard of him.

The best Notts County goalkeeper you have ever seen live? kasper hands down.

i know he did a bicycle kick at morecombe but i swear he attempted one in front of the kop.

The best Notts County defender in your lifetime? mike edwards for me too.

The best skilled Notts County midfielder you have ever watched in person? between jack grealish and callum mcgregor, i think mcgregor was more skillful though during his spell here.

The best Notts County winger who would take on the opposition down the byline in person? jcr fans moaned about him but he was pure class. jeff hughes also used to do well but he would go towards the 18 yard box more than stay out wide.

The best natural Notts County finisher? lee hughes just clinical on goal.

The best player to be described as a true underdog during their spell at Notts? the belgium midfielder we forced to play right back i forget his name.

The best worst player ever to grace a Notts County shirt? ross fitzsimons

The best goal from a Notts County player you have seen in person? one of enzios lightening boltz.

The best ex Notts County player you have seen in person? unsure to be honest

The best future Notts County player you have seen in person? possibky jodi jones.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Notts 81/82 squad

Iain McCulloch

Tommy Lawton

The best Notts County goalkeeper you have ever seen live? [bonus praise for naming a memory of said keeper within your answer].

Steve Cherry. Tough one to call between him and Raddy, but went with Chez because I watched him more, although I think Raddy would have been the better keeper if I had  seen more of him. Greatest memory of Chez was his amazing performance against Man City in the cup. Plus he always did a little jig when the opposition fans sang about his weight.

Craig Short

Don Masson, even late on in his career he was quality. Draper was the most naturally gifted midfielder I have seen.

John Chiedozie (probably not the best, but was like lightning).

Gary McSwegan

Gary Lund. Warnock never really fancied him, but he had a sublime left foot and was great in the air. Really took his chance after Warnock's sacking.

Easy, step forward Tony Hackworth

Don O's goal against Spurs in the cup, great strike, even greater celebrations in the away end.

Minds gone blank, so will have to go with Tommy Johnson when he came back to the Lane with the sheep.

Steve Nicol. Saw him play for Liverpool against Notts in 91/92 season and you could see his quality in a poor Notts side.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

It would have to be the 2009-10 promotion squad, yes we lured played players on false promises but a lot of them were far too good for that league.

Grealish you could see he was a special talent.

Send me back to the 1930’s for Tom Keetley. 94 goals in 103 league appearances.

The best Notts County goalkeeper you have ever seen live? [bonus praise for naming a memory of said keeper within your answer].

Kasper Schmeichel, gave our defence so much confidence and always backed him in a one on one.

Mike Edwards was always my favourite as a kid, the fact we had a to play him in league 2 when he was about 40 and our fitness coach tells you he was pretty decent. (*And our recruitment was beyond shocking).

Ben Davies, he had superb technique when crossing and striking a ball.

My first memory of a decent winger was Myles Weston, he was just quick though crossing was very hit or miss. Not had many in my time, I’ll have to say Campbell-Ryce.

Is it too early to go in on McCauley before he’s banging them for a championship club… Tough one for us younger fans (I’m really clinging onto that status now). Hughes.

Chicksen, came in didn’t play for like 6 months. Then we he got his chance it was at LCB. Now look at him flying down the wing banging them in. One of the first names on the team sheet.

It’s not a good thing that there are so many candidates for this one and I look forward to being reminded of players I’ve tried to bury in the back of my mind. I’ll say Christian Oxalade-Chamberlain, he made a handful of appearances and they were all awful.

Eli Sam’s scorpion kick live deserved a crowd, it was a crime we could only see it through a screen. Lots to choose from, seem to remember Hughes chesting down a cross on the edge of the area and then volleying it in that was a screamer.

This was a tough one, we’ve not had many players that have come back to haunt us in my time supporting Notts cos most of them disappeared down the leagues faster than we did. Seem to recall Tavon-Campbell scoring against us a few times but he can’t be the best player. I’ll have to say Gary Liddle.

Again, tough, I’ve seen Craig-Mackail Smith play a few times. Sadly, when we eventually signed him, he was in his twilight years.

• Like 1