Anderlecht welcomes Ian Burchnall

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

How on earth did Ian Burchnall pull that one-off?

• Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's only as the assistant head coach, it's a backwards move for him but a good one considering how he messed up joining Forest Green Rovers.

I'm still surprised that he's achieved a noteworthy side though.

I wonder how long it will be before he jumps ship to manage another club that is more than likely doomed to succeed, he's pretty lucky though. I know some fans won't be bothered, I just feel it's unforgivable how he acted towards the majority of fans before he exited Meadow Lane. Instead of the minority getting the blame, he acted like all the fans were booing  and that was pure wrong. The complete opposite to Luke Williams who has turned down job offers to remain at Notts. I can't say I wish Burchnall well, but I hope Williams continues with it.I really don't care about him [Burchnall].

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I'm not sure it's a step back from FGR, this is Belgium's biggest club. And maybe he's just better suited to being on the coaching team rather than being number one. He's clearly highly rated as a coach and a number of our players really improved under him. 

That said, he's clearly got a good agent!

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 11/03/2023 at 11:33, DangerousSausage said:

I'm not sure it's a step back from FGR, this is Belgium's biggest club.

It's a step back from the perspective of what he's said about his career, from joining Notts to leaving for FGR. His desire to be a manager is the foremost important thing that he has spoken about. Whilst it's a good move for him, it's not in terms of his managerial career.

I can easily see him becoming a good assistant, but at the moment I can't see him getting any good clubs to hire him as anything more than a coach.

The comparison I think of, is Paul Clement.

He's a very good coach, assistant and knows his stuff. Yet he had a bad time in management, Derby County gave him his first chance and, I honestly felt it would be a good decision. It proved that some people are just not good managers.

Burchnall is still learning, I don't think anyone could say FGR was a good fit and this is one common mistake that people who desperately want to lead times make.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

"Big credit to Notts County for the way they handled this - between us we’ve shown how moves in football can still get done properly and above board.” fgr owner.

burchnall wanted out, he complained about the fans in interviews and the media towards the end. the club act in a professional manner and allow him to go despite his contract. he got what he wanted. i think hes a bit of a snake personally.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

Wishing Ian Burchnall all the best at Anderlecht, but much like Forest Green, with Michael Doyle's, depends largely on effective management.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I have a suspicion that he may be considering taking a step back from management, while also trying to avoid an extended period of unemployment. The decision to join a team like Anderlecht is a significant one, and it's important to he has  carefully considered all his options before making the move.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,896
  • Days Won:  5

I wish him well, he should gain some important knowledge working under someone else. I think its the best decision he could have made for his career at this stage.