Match Discussion: Play Off Semi-Final - The Wood (H)

PON_News

Never do things the easy way. Should've been 2 or 3 up in the first half. But fair play to the lads they dug in kept fighting stuck to the game plan and got the job done. 

High line got caught for the first goal and sloppy pass to gift their second. Didn't think we deserved to go in HT 2-0 down which I'm gonna guess it's what Luke Williams would have said to the lads at HT. 

Just wasn't Ruben's day, normally he'd be putting away those chances he had today and the penalty save just topped it off for how his day went. 

Aden Baldwin deserves credit, gave warning after warning about his shooting ability and the first was a cracker. Went to sleep allowing them in, which could have made it 3-1, but he was there to get a touch and stop it going in. 

Jodi Jones was hit and miss after coming on but he delivered when I counted both setting up Baldwin to take the game into extra time and then scoring the winner. 

Not forgetting Nemane who was brilliant down the right and made an important interception. Also Langstaff, despite not having many opportunities, still getting into them areas. Unfortunate not to get at least one. But he gave some work, especially when he got back and battled to win the ball following a counter attack. 

On to Saturday. 1 win away from returning to where we need to be! 

• Like 8

I don't know how to begin to sum that up. Complete madness. A lack of concentration at the back led to us going in 2-0 down when we deserved to be ahead, I didn't feel it was over, but we needed a quick goal. Wet got it and the rest is history. One key moment was Nemane using his superhuman pace to get a block in when it looked like BW would have a tap-in. Just minutes later we had scored the winner. Sometimes a tackle is as good as a goal, and that one turned the game.

If any of you have taken pictures or videos of the scenes after the game, feel free to post them. The stream was switched off seconds after the whistle, but it sounded like PANDEMONIUM on the radio!

Onto the final then, and at the time of writing it looks like it'll be Chesterfield. I think the experience of winning such a tight game when we really had our backs against the wall will do us good.

• Like 8

@DangerousSausage 100% didn't think we were out of it going in to HT trailing 2-0 with the way we were playing. I did though like the fact that despite trailing and time getting on needing a goal to get on level terms, Notts still stuck to their game passing the ball around patiently waiting for an opening especially considering how much Boreham Wood were sitting back defending their lead. It was frustrating at times but there was belief that we could claw it back and they did just that. As nerve wrecking as it was, it was all worth it in the end. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I got the feeling it wasn't Notts's day. especially after the pen miss. Credit to Notts for sticking to game plan.It was even more satisfying that the time wasting  and imaginary injuries tactics didn't work in the end.

• Like 4

There was a lot of frustration with Notts. I thought we started poorly and that put us on the back foot. It was clear from early on that if Notts didn’t improve, Boreham Wood would cause trouble. They showed their threat early on and when they played football, they looked like a good team.

Despite having one of the best defensive records in the National League, it was evident that they wanted to make it difficult. The questions Notts asked in the first half weren’t good enough. Boreham Wood engaged in a lot of negative antics such as diving, pushing, time-wasting and cheating. It didn’t reflect well on a team capable of technical, attractive football.

It was a huge relief when the second half started brightly and Aden Baldwin’s first goal was pure class. Some fans near me had criticised his first-half performance but his strike was very good. Boreham Wood increased their theatrics and the referee became wise to it but could have stamped it out better by warning their players.

Notts largely dominated the second half and time seemed to be running out before we finally equalised. Once Aden Baldwin scored his second goal, I felt confident that we could finish it off in the second half. A reminder to Boreham Wood fans: don’t chant early and don’t count your chickens when your defence becomes headless due to being dominated by a side fully capable of playing football.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

No matter how many changes occur or who is in charge, Notts always struggles to rise to the occasion when it comes to big games. The first goal was actually very well constructed by Boreham Wood, but the defending was typical of Notts in games like this. It is frustrating to hear comments during the game that fans actually believed Sam Slocombe should have done better. The error was switching off defensively and failing to react well enough to cut out the original mistake of allowing them through so easily.

The second goal was a nightmare of a mistake. The poor pass was always going to invite danger and the Boreham Wood player did well to win the ball and go on to score. Again, these defensive issues are too common in big games. It’s like our players start off as jelly moulds and require time to set. The second half was more like the Notts we know from this season, with smooth passes and a constant threat.

Had the first goal for Notts gone in later, I believe it would have ended in their favour. We scored at the right moments, including the winner. Penalties are never kind or good to watch; that is where the home advantage ends. Thankfully, we had enough class and Luke Williams’ decision to switch Jodi Jones and Aaron Nemane paid off.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Do you see what I mean about Notts always performing best as the underdogs?

Boreham Wood made it difficult in the first half but teams can't maintain that level of pressure for 90 minutes. Their mistake was relaxing at half time and not picking up where they left off.

It switched them from being the underdogs to Notts because Boreham Wood failed to kill the game completely. It made it more lively.

I strongly feel that Luke Williams would have told his side that the game is still winnable in his half time team talk.

That early strike by Aden Baldwin turned the game on its head. Pulling level, when Notts' quality increased and Boreham Wood became more focused on defending, meant that Notts had to knock on their door relentlessly.

Boreham Wood should have kicked out their antics and pushed for their third after our first. They could have made a real fans of it, but credit to Notts they turned on the class and they choked.

The old saying that it's a game of two halves is true. Well done to Luke Williams and the players, they pulled it off and it was great to see the fans flood the pitch after that anxious first half.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Think I’ve just about recovered after a good nights sleep, just trying to recall the game and even though it was just yesterday it’s funny how in the heat of it all parts of it are just blurs!

Going into to half-time I just thought, “no, not like this, we can’t end this season by being s’housed”. We started the game really well but not scoring dented our confidence and Boreham Wood’s grew.

I love the guy but Ruben had a bit of a mare yesterday. I think his 3rd chance the one where Langstaff or Palmer, I genuinely can’t remember, lays it off to him I was on my feet ready to celebrate! And I thought his head noticeably dropped after the penalty save, he really didn’t do much in the game after that.

Langstaff was quiet but he still had a couple of great chances, he didn’t get a lot of the ball but it’s hard to make runs in behind when you’re defending against a team that sits that deep. Hopefully Langstaff and Ruben are saving their goals for the game at Wembley!

What a time for Aden to get his first two goals though, we saw the absolute best of him at times defending one on one against Ndlovu, luckily that lapse in concentration didn’t result in us going 3-1 down but his reaction and quickness got him out of trouble. Jodi Jones helped sway the game in our favour too, very good on the ball and the quality in his left foot was there for all to see. That moment when he scored at the end, that is going to take some beating as a best ever memory for me.

• Like 3

I was full of emotion yesterday, seeing the Notts stands full of happy people it's what makes supporting the club that extra bit special. Mind, not everyone was happy! It was particularly exhilarating to witness every time Boreham Wood scored a goal. It became quite tense, but whilst taking pictures at half-time I decided to encourage those I spoke with. I had the faith that we could pull it back and the key was the early goal.

My heart really went out to Aden Baldwin. He received a lot of harsh comments about his playing, but to be fair, that pass to him was bound to cause problems.

I felt Notts needed to slow down their passing at times, not by a great amount but enough so that they could take their time a little more. Issue with this, many fans just yell to get the ball forward without thinking about what space the players have and when they do rush, further complaints are shouted. I felt like we just didn't know what to do at times; it was a complication of our own fault that led to Boreham Wood putting pressure on Notts.

The second half was expected to be better when we attacked towards the KOP end. I hope that Luke Williams is proud of the incredible response from the fans who stayed positive and didn't leave even after the second goal.I get that sometimes frustration means people will say silly things, but it's hardly encouraging when there's people shouting f this and all sorts of nonsense at the players.

Funnily, the most near me didn't seem to know much about Notts and seemed like the type of person who came just for the big game. I appreciate their presence, but there is absolutely no reason for them to be rude as it can ruin the ambiance, particularly when seated close to families with little kids.

Jodi Jones played amazingly well, I wasn't sure about why Matt Palmer got the Man of the Match. I felt there were a few better options ahead of him, but he sometimes doesn't get the praise when he does deserve it.

Kyle Cameron needs to be more careful on the ball I feel, so many people expressed that they feel he's a reliable to me, but he can be a vital asset when he's in the zone.

Sam Slocombe deserves a lot of praise; he made some outstanding saves and Notts could've sunk within the first half further if it wasn't for him. Aden Baldwin may have had a few wobbles, but he was by far my Man of the Match.

And yes, I genuinely felt that at 2-0 the game wasn't over and thankfully in the second half we got the response I had hoped for and mentioned to those I spoke with at half-time.

I couldn't stop shaking until almost midnight. I felt ill, and part of it might be because I got a concussion when two fans accidentally hit me. Yet, I do feel the occasion and raw emotions got the best out of me.

• Like 3

Boreham Wood’s behaviour during the match was highly unprofessional. They seemed fully capable of playing without resorting to such antics, which only served to provoke the Notts players. Kyle Cameron appeared to react negatively at times, confronting their players on several occasions. This kind of behaviour should be ignored, and I believe players like John Bostock dealt with it well.

Ruben Rodrigues was largely absent from the game and seemed to use his injury as an excuse for missing opportunities. While he may have injured his ankle, one doesn’t simply start running again. He needs to put an end to that. In fact, I thought we performed much better without him on the pitch. Sam Austin proved to be a player who made an effort to advance the play.

Winning the match 3-2 in our favour seemed unbelievable and I am thrilled with the result. However, Boreham Wood’s conduct left a bad impression and they need to work on their professionalism on the pitch.

• Love 1

On 08/05/2023 at 01:32, AmericanPie said:

I strongly feel that Luke Williams would have told his side that the game is still winnable in his half time team talk.

I liked what Jodi Jones said after the match; that he didn't panic at half time - Notts could have been 3-0 up after 15 minutes, so there was no reason why they couldn't score 3 after the break.

Jodi's taken a while to settle, and until his cross for the equaliser wasted a few opportunities yesterday, but he's clearly a quality player.

Nemane's clearance was also one of the moments of the season for me. He kept us in it.

• Like 2