Cal Roberts joins Scunthorpe United

Joshua

When Cal Roberts was around Meadow Lane towards the end of last season, I assumed he was coming back to support his old teammates and friends. Maybe Aberdeen suggested that he find a new club? Scunthorpe United has built a decent team since being relegated from League Two.

• Like 15

He’s too talented for the National League North, but I’m glad we didn’t get him back. Our team relied on him too much and became predictable, which hurt us. It’s better for him to move on, but it’s sad to see him leave Aberdeen.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

That's quite bizarre. Either they're chucking a wheelbarrow full of cash at him, or he's selling himself woefully short. He should be at a League club.

He didn't play a lot at Aberdeen, but he did spend most of the season injured. 

Think they're throwing money into transfers to get back up, it's hard to see how it won't pay off but then they signed Ross Fitzsimons didn't they?

• Like 9

Supporter+

I reckon he’s better than that, I think he could have done a job for us if he could keep fit. Good luck Cal I hope it works.

• Like 11

No doubt in my mind, Scunthrorpe United are throwing money into getting back into the Football League.

Doing so in the National League North is quite risky with only one team going up, but that's why they'll be doing it. To maximise their chances to get out of the division. I think it's partly desperation but also eagerness to avoid falling further. I hope Cal doesn't hold any ambitions to make it to the Football League before he's 30-years-old.

@DangerousSausage Ross is fine at that level, I would worry about them if they gained promotion but because that's where he started to struggle. Ross was awful in the three games we played against Chesterfield. In our home match, he got cocky and started fist bumping the Chesterfield badge to the KOP - before anyone had gotten onto his case. That of course sparked it, their second goal was as if they won the FA Cup. Which was pleasing when his leaky gloves started to let our goals in.

• Like 13

Scunthorpe United won’t want to be playing in the National League North for long. They’ll want to compete for promotion and I say good luck to Cal. It’s a risk for them considering his time in Scotland, but if his injuries stay hassle-free it could be an excellent piece of business.

• Like 11

Wow, this makes me want to laugh and cry. Cry because it’s horrible to see a player of Cal Roberts’ quality committing himself to that level. Laugh because it makes zero sense with where they are. There’s no guarantee that they will gain promotion. He’s wasting his vital years, even with his injuries.

• Like 10

i think it makes more sense, with his injuries he probably wants to take a step back because he knows that it will help him in the long term. if he can stay fit and do well, he might attract interst or he could be a vital part of scunthrope uniteds revival. good luck to him, i hope cal manages to set the national league north on fire with his performances.

• Like 8

Yeah really strange signing, in terms of being completely unexpected. After a season hampered by injuries, I'd have thought the coming season would have been the one where he'd have a right go at getting into Aberdeen's first team. That's why he moved there in the first place surely!

Maybe he hadn't settled there, even so I can't see why he'd drop back to where he started after getting released by Newcastle. It just feels like he's taking a big step back, he was a top National League player, that's the lowest level he should be at. 

• Like 10

Cal Roberts will be fine with Scunthorpe. It’s a great signing for them and I wonder what fee they paid for Cal. I think his injuries have impacted his career, but at the same time he can make a great legacy as a lower-tier player who helps teams gain promotion. His Premier League dreams may not happen, but there’s no reason why he can’t get back to the Football League.

• Like 6

I tried to reflect on this and I think it makes more sense than some are giving it credit for. I think the issue is that the move is out of the blue and quite early into his time at Aberdeen, but they seem keen to take some money for him in order to recoup their loss or at least some of it. It does make sense when you think about it; he will be wanting to get back into the swing of things.

• Like 1

His move to Scotland didn’t work out. He suffered two injuries if I am right in thinking that. Suffering those setbacks will put other clubs off from taking a chance on him. Scunthorpe United may feel they’re the right team to help him back to playing.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...