IFAB Penalty Rule for Goalkeepers

KB1862

Starting from today these rules have come in to place for Goalkeepers during penalty shootouts. 

Is it really necessary to make these changes? I mean penalty shootouts are a psychological battle and goalkeepers do whatever they can to win that battle and save the penalty. Especially the part where they say "distract the Taker". Surely that's all part of the battle?

But what about the people taking penalties? Will they put in rules that stop them using tactics like stuttering run ups or feinting to shoot? 

This could potentially lead to long penalty shootouts. But also what happens if a GK does any of these? Red Card? Yellow Card? 

What do you guys think to this? 

• Like 6

I foresee more controversy!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah stupid changes in my opinion. A penalty heavily favours the taker you can’t expect a keeper just to stand there like a spectator. The recent rule change about staying on your line is fair, but there’s so much ambiguity in “unfairly distract the taker” are they going to provide list of what’s allowed and what isn’t?  

A big thumbs down from me.

• Like 6

@super_ram without doubt it's going to cause more controversy. Can see it getting a bit hectic. 

@menzinho agreed. The taker now has the upper hand during the shootout and the rule of keepers staying on the line is justified cause it opens more areas where as the closer they are by coming off the line the easier it is for them to save. Good point about the providing a list cause what do they deem "Taunting"? 

• Like 4

i think at the end of the day, these changes take away some of the parts which gives a keeper some advantage over the penalty taker, i think there is room to do this but without being over the top. a goalkeeper should be able to touch the net, crossbar and posts. i dont see how this would greatly effect a penalty taker, i am sure it can be distracting but its not as controversial as walking up to the taker or slowly going into goal, then trying to buy some time in delaying it.

if the keepers are having limitation applied, i would like to see more stricter rules on penalty takers.

you arent supposed to be able to stop when taking the ball, yet some do when they slow do. this should not be allowed under the new rules. when notts played chesterfield, their first penalty taker acted like he was going somewhere else, then turned around and ran to the ball. this should not be allowed as it delays the keeper.

basically, i just want to see a fair system for keeper and penalty taker. both of which should have some liberty with their decision before a pen is taken. if one cant, neither should the other.

• Like 6

I don’t think all the changes are necessary, as some of them are what the card system is for. However, I don’t believe that what the Argentina keeper did in the World Cup final should have been allowed. Trying to put off the opposition by talking to them in an annoying way should have resulted in him being carded. Most of the changes seem to be a result of his antics.

I have also read that towels will no longer be able to be used for long throws, which should speed up the game slightly.

• Like 1

I actually agree to the changes to a degree; I think a keeper should be able to move on the line, tap the crossbar or net. I don't think keepers should get away with taunting penalty takers verbally. Or, to slow the take-down. Likewise, those taking penalties should do a straight run-up and not divert, skip, slow down to the point they actually stop but keep moving forward. I think changes should be voted in and allowed for fans to give their opinions.

• Like 3

Supporter+

I totally agree with the changes, the keepers have gone too far of late, the taunting and delaying etc., is unsportsmanlike in my opinion, the penalty taker is under immense pressure as it is especially in important games and it’s unfair to add to that pressure. As far as the penalty taker having an advantage, well they should have an advantage because an offence has been committed. 

• Like 2

Agree with @AmericanPie it's all due to Martinez' antics in the World Cup final these rules were actually put in place.

However, for a few years now they've been limiting goalkeepers doing things during penalties and introducing new measures to stop them doing some things that could give them an advantage yet nothing done about penalty takers doing their own antics. They said they were clamping down on stuttering run ups to avoid keepers making a move before the kick is even taken but there's still some of that going about. 

@Fan of Big Tone I agree to an extent on the fact an attacker should be given an advantage as there's been an offence but there's less antics in normal time than there is in penalty shootouts where there is no advantage due to offences. 

• Like 3

@Fan of Big Tone

On 02/07/2023 at 16:10, Fan of Big Tone said:

I totally agree with the changes, the keepers have gone too far of late, the taunting and delaying etc., is unsportsmanlike in my opinion, the penalty taker is under immense pressure as it is especially in important games and it’s unfair to add to that pressure. As far as the penalty taker having an advantage, well they should have an advantage because an offence has been committed. 

Some keepers do take things too far, but it’s the same for strikers who perform antics themselves. They should have to do a straight run-up, without stuttering, leaps or jumps. If a keeper can’t move, why should the advantage go solely to the penalty taker? Archie Mair also engaged in some of these dark arts of goalkeeping.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Despite this rule being implemented, I still see that the penalty takers are still able to do stuttering run ups instead of having a straight run up and hitting the ball. Surely the rule should have been applied to both sets. 

• Like 1

Good debate.

I think that they should leave things as they were.

The goalkeeper trying to put the penalty taker off for me is just part of the game.

I saw it yesterday in the Africa Nations semi final.

They didn't follow the new rules there.