PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,351
  • Days Won:  81

PSF - The Potters (H)

Team: Stoke City

Date: 08/07/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I wouldn't play any of the squad that was out of Nuneaton Borough due to injury, no matter how small of a concern it may be.

We should stick with Aidan Stone in goal; I would like to see him under a little more threat on goal.

I would opt for a starting line-up that closely aligns with my vision of the ideal Notts XI for the upcoming League Two season. Perhaps I could consider including one or two players whom I'm still uncertain about, while keeping the rest on the bench. Yet, I do think it's going to be another game of two different squads.

• Like 8

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

we usually do stick with two teams, it seems a trend for pre season games but i do think games like this we should put out strongest players that are fit out. leave the alfreton and boston friendlies to tinker, use these higher standard friendlies as a means to get the squad somewhat settled. as if it was a league game and the others were the cup.

whatever luke williams chooses i am sure he will have thought everything out.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  5

I would agree, but I think Luke Williams may have other plans. It would be nice to have an idea of what the starting 11 might be, but he may not know himself at this stage. It should be a good match, I wonder if the club has plans to stream it? It would be great for those overseas and unable to attend.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  389
  • Days Won:  0

I am just keen to get back to Meadow Lane and see how we do against Stoke City. Winning doesn’t matter; I just want to see us have chances and defend as well as we can.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  252
  • Days Won:  1

We will see Notts under more pressure, but it depends on the team Stoke City chooses. If they play a strong squad, it will be our biggest test in pre-season. I hope the lads do well.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  689

It will be fantastic to watch a large team like Stoke City at Meadow Lane. I believe Luke Williams will continue to rotate the players, but I anticipate that a stronger squad will start the match, with opportunities for youngsters and other players to come on later.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  17

In this type of game against this opposition I think Luke Williams will opt for a much stronger team which was selected in the Nuneaton game. It will give Luke a much clearer idea of what his best team is all be it being really early in pre season. 

I think whatever team he decides to put out will want to win the game. The scoreline won't matter as pre season is all about getting fit and ready for the start of the season. But with Williams high standards he won't allow the players to not give it their all. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I hope the rain holds off and the day is nice. It would be perfect to return to Meadow Lane with good weather, but if there is thunder and lightning, I hope it doesn’t cause any issues for the teams on the pitch. I agree with the comments that Luke Williams may field a stronger squad in the first half. The result doesn’t matter, but I hope he sees that we still need a centre-back. This would provide Aidan Baldwin with more cover, especially given his injury history. Whatever the final score, I am sure we will make a game of it.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

I’m looking forward to the game, even though the sunshine has now disappeared. I think we’ll want to focus on our ball retention against Stoke City, while defensive threats will show how our existing players will cope. If we can play our passing football against them, I think they may struggle, but they do enjoy long throws and hoofing the ball.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

How's the new PA system sounding? Plenty of goal announcements! 😬😁

• Like 3

• Content Count:  18,310
  • Days Won:  28

The game isnt going very well but they are in a much higher league, so expected.

Its only a friendly, so take it as practice.

• Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  5

It was a good exercise in that we created many of the problems ourselves. Yes, Stoke City played some great football, as you would expect from a Championship side, but defensively, without Aden Baldwin, we have no one with the focus to deal with quicker, more direct teams.

Richard Brindley would be fine against League Two standard teams, but he does make rash decisions and commits himself when he shouldn’t. Kyle Cameron didn’t look good going forward; he gave the ball away very easily, and although he did some good covering and defensive work, he let the first half down quite a lot. It’s nothing to complain about, but it does show room for improvement. I don’t think Notts embarrassed themselves, but the second half’s team was much better.

• Like 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

From a defensive standpoint, it was a good game with much for Luke Williams to take away. Stoke City played well, but Notts made it easier for them and the defence let Aidan Stone down. He seems like a capable keeper, but he can only save what’s in front of him. If the defence can’t prevent one-on-ones, then Williams needs to reconsider. Had we started with our best options, things might have been different. So it’s not all bad. In my opinion, throwing some of the youngsters into a friendly like this can be detrimental as they may not be ready.

5 hours ago, menzinho said:

How's the new PA system sounding? Plenty of goal announcements! 😬😁

The PA system sounded clear and was fine for speech, but for some reason, music was set to the same volume, which was deafening. The volume needs adjusting for music as I left with a headache from the loudness before the game and at half-time. It was like being right next to the speakers at a rock concert.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  10,960
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I wasn’t there but I can imagine the PA system upsetting quite a few of the older generation in the Pavis stand, I wonder if they can have different volumes for different stands. They could turn it up full blast in the Sirrel stand to put the away supporters off. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Content Count:  389

David McGoldrick, Dan Crowley, Aaron Nemane, Adam Chicksen all did some neat things. Will Randall seems to have a good understanding with Jodi Jones, who worked well with Sam Austin. I thought the players that came on made Notts look more defensive, but to my surprise, they took the game to Stoke. I thought the atmosphere was poor, but some fans tried to encourage the players in a positive way. We will always get a few idiots overreacting.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  8

Don't take much stock in friendlies, necessary evil imo, just hope for no injuries

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

23 hours ago, allardyces tash said:

The PA system sounded clear and was fine for speech, but for some reason, music was set to the same volume, which was deafening. The volume needs adjusting for music as I left with a headache from the loudness before the game and at half-time. It was like being right next to the speakers at a rock concert.

Hopefully the club will have received some feedback after the game about the levels. If not, I'll take my earplugs for the first home game of the season!

• Like 3

• Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

there was some good play in the first half, just not much. second half we did better but its a friendly at the end of the day. i think we could lose to real madrid and some would not be happy.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  422

Unfortunately, the young centre back doesn't seem to have what it takes to succeed. He performed poorly against Nuneaton. In comparison to Owen Betts when he was here, he falls short. While he may improve, he currently appears to be a liability. We have other, better young players who could have made better use of the game time. If he's playing due to the risk of injury, it suggests we need to bring in another centre back. The rest of the squad did well, and I don't think Aidan Stone can be blamed for any of the goals. It is what it is, and we move on.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371

From our point of view, Notts made it very easy for Stoke City, and the number of mistakes, even in a friendly, was alarming. However, it’s not the end of the world. I don’t see those errors happening as frequently against players closer to our own level. Just imagine how other teams felt when we played them last season; it’s virtually the same effect.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

There’s no need to resort to the stupidity of losing, regardless of the manner. I think those vocal fans have let down the whole club and community. That said, there are some interesting and very decent comments. Frustration should never lead to anger, though.

• Like 1